Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-14-2012, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323I
Is my engine dead if I drove overheated for few miles

I own 99 323I, it has 150k on it, I just love driving it. Last Friday morning, I saw the coolant indicator but drove it work with a plan to have the coolant filled near work (40 miles from home). One the way back home the coolant indicator disappeared, so I thought the indicator popped in the morning coz I took out the car after a week or so that too in the cold temp. So kept driving, the indicator popped on and off, suddenly saw the heat indicator on the extreme red, slowed down but kept driving (ignorance and stupidity) the indicator still on the right but not bright red. I may have driven for 5 miles with the heat indicator at its peak and finally car stopped. Got the car towed it to workshop, coolant tank cracked and they did compression and leak-down test. the results from leak down test are 1-10%, 2-15%, 3-18%, 4-25%, 5-15% and 6-5%. Do these results show that engine is no more good shape. Mechanic is suggesting to go for a different engine (lot of money though). based on what I read in forums leak downs around 20 are still Ok. but not sure, I am thinking of getting the coolant done and see what happens. What do you experts suggest.

Thanks in Advance
Kris
Ads by Google
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci 6 Spd, 07 335Cic
theres a lot you can do to these engines. but overheating? no way. especially the fact that you kept driving on an overheated motor, you couldve made your engine a cool centerpiece. i wouldnt bother adding coolant, or driving on it for that matter. i am not an expert, but im sure Fast Bob or those gents' will be here shortly
Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
couldn't u just park it and waited on it to cool down or toe it instead?
anyways, damages could be from nothing to warped head, gasket problems,... to a dead engine
to check if you have a blown head gasket, check if white smoke is coming out from the tail pipe, and change ur oil. if there is water mixed with the oil, tough luck , if not, u'v survived this one
a simple diagnosis at a dealer should give u all the info u need.
for next times, whenever u see ANYTHING lighting up on ur instrument cluster while driving, PARK IT ASAP to avoid paying lots of $$$ when a simple pulling aside the road would save ur pocket and car alot of trouble

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330ci 3pdl 89 325i
If you catch it right away you are usually safe. Aluminum does not like to get hot. If you drove 5 mikes in the red you are probably in trouble but who knows. Check it out, check oil and such. Wait for one of the pros to chime in here.

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App
Old 11-15-2012, 12:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to roverT Send a message via AIM to roverT Send a message via MSN to roverT Send a message via Yahoo to roverT
Mein Auto: '03 330i ZHP 6MT
Please update on your situation. I'd like to know how tough an E46 engine is.

I know my expansion tank cracked on me when I was 20 miles away from home. I quickly went to get distilled water and consulted Smolck who is to me, a knowledgable E46 guy at this site. He specifically said DON'T LET YOUR COOLANT GAUGE GO INTO THE RED. If it does pull over right away.

Since I knew it was just my expansion tank I knew I still had water in the system since I still had heat. I quickly started driving home slowly (with interior heat and fans on full) getting my car up to speed and turning it off as I coasted until 5-10mph lower then speed limit. I knew any chance I could turn the engine off, there'd me no pressure in the system to blow the coolant out even further. Good thing I have a manual I could clutch start it and never use my starter during this trip! I still had heat up until 10 miles to home then I started to slowly lose heat knowing coolant levels have now gone lower than the thermostat. That's when I knew I needed to pull over at a safe place to force feed my system the distilled water I bought at the store to return levels where the water pump could still circulate water. Never did my coolant change from normal operating temp as I coasted my vehicle home 50% of the time while accelerating 10-15mpg over speed limit. I never kept on the throttle to maintain speed, I only used it to keep speed up so I can coast. I successfully got home, quickly cooled the engine bay, popped the expansion tank off, put my old working one back on, re-bled my coolant system and went to a car meet 20 minutes after. LOL.

Last edited by roverT; 11-15-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by isitkittu View Post
I own 99 323I, it has 150k on it, I just love driving it. Last Friday morning, I saw the coolant indicator but drove it work with a plan to have the coolant filled near work (40 miles from home). One the way back home the coolant indicator disappeared, so I thought the indicator popped in the morning coz I took out the car after a week or so that too in the cold temp. So kept driving, the indicator popped on and off, suddenly saw the heat indicator on the extreme red, slowed down but kept driving (ignorance and stupidity) the indicator still on the right but not bright red. I may have driven for 5 miles with the heat indicator at its peak and finally car stopped. Got the car towed it to workshop, coolant tank cracked and they did compression and leak-down test. the results from leak down test are 1-10%, 2-15%, 3-18%, 4-25%, 5-15% and 6-5%. Do these results show that engine is no more good shape. Mechanic is suggesting to go for a different engine (lot of money though). based on what I read in forums leak downs around 20 are still Ok. but not sure, I am thinking of getting the coolant done and see what happens. What do you experts suggest.

Thanks in Advance
Kris
My logical advice is to have the expansion tank replaced, which parts and all should be around $100, and go from there. If after doing that everything seems to be fine, consider yourself VERY lucky. But if the engine was damaged from overheating, you're going to be looking at some major money -- more than likely another car -- so the $100 spent on the expansion tank repair will be just a drop in the bucket. Its a low gamble considering the stakes.

In all honesty, I'd say your engine is toast. Typically an engine can handle running in the red for about a minute before damage starts. But several minutes and several miles is another story. Even still, I would replace the tank and see what happens. The sun shines on a duck's ass every now and then.

Member No. 470379

Last edited by halltristan; 11-15-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Even the slighest needle movement past Normal Operating Temperature you should pull over and turn your car off. I would check your cylinder heads, they could be warped.
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
One of the problems is that our temp gauges are buffered, and do not reflect "real-time" status. i.e., they`re always lagging behind, so the actual coolant temp has probably been in the "danger zone" longer than you thought. This is why it`s critical to shut everything down ASAP. You can also turn your heater on full blast to help vent some of the excess heat to to the atmosphere....

I agree with Hallistran`s approach....try putting it back togethrer, and see what happens when you drive it. Good luck !

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330 Ci ZHP
When you said the car stopped, did you mean that you finally decided to stop or that the engine stopped on its own? If its the former you may get lucky but if its the latter you have a very large paperweight under the hood. The I6 is a great engine but will not tolerate overheating.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
With cylinder 4 at 25% leakdown, you are right at 135 psi compression. Tolerance for leakdown is about 10-12%. My educated guess is that the head is warped a couple of mills, and the threads in the block pulled out.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 11-15-2012, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerT View Post
If you catch it right away you are usually safe. Aluminum does not like to get hot. If you drove 5 mikes in the red you are probably in trouble but who knows. Check it out, check oil and such. Wait for one of the pros to chime in here.

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App
I drove way more than 5 miles with my E36 in the red. I think I had overheat incidences twice. Engine was still fine like 70k miles later.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I drove way more than 5 miles with my E36 in the red. I think I had overheat incidences twice. Engine was still fine like 70k miles later.
You were luckier than most, Chris....doing that is like playing Russian Roulette with half the chambers loaded....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Thank you all for your responses, I have decided to get the cracked tank fixed (around 500 bucks including thermostat) and see what happens. I want to try my luck, I will update you guys.
my biggest question is how bad are my leak-downs. I read in many forums that leak down in and around 20% is like little worn engine but still can run. any thing beyond 30 means real problem. I want to understand from that perspective.

Thanks
Kris
Old 11-18-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
When you had overheating issues, did you or your mechanic do any compression test or leak down test. Do you remember the results. Would appreciate if you could share that information.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 PM

Ok..I have got the coolant tank done. I am yet to go see the car but the mechanic tells me that the engine is shaking, not sure what it means. Any thoughts.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
the mechanic tells me that the engine is shaking, not sure what it means. Any thoughts.
Could be any one (or combination of) a hundred different things....doesn`t your "mechanic" have a code scanner ?

Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Ok..I have got the coolant tank done. I am yet to go see the car but the mechanic tells me that the engine is shaking, not sure what it means. Any thoughts.
If possible, make a short video and post it.

Member No. 470379
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Late to the party, but if you all recall some years ago a guy who contacted me via the web (don't remember how he got my name) and he lived in Chatanooga, TN and his daughter was in Bham at a wedding when her E46 overheated. She drove a good 10 minutes (according to her) with the car in the red. Her waterpump shaft snapped at 77k miles. I put it back together and fixed it but told her there was a VERY good chance the engine was nuked. Well, somehow (angels maybe ) her car ran fine and has been for some time.

This is the EXCEPTION though and not the rule!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 07-08-2014, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: N/A
Hey Fast Bob,

I've been reading around the forums and are the overheating issues mainly because of people not replacing their cooling system?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano4260 View Post
Hey Fast Bob,

I've been reading around the forums and are the overheating issues mainly because of people not replacing their cooling system?

Thanks
Yes....the E46 cooling system is one of the major weak spots on these cars. It`s the old "Weakest Link In The Chain" coming back to bite us in the ass....you can be pretty sure that beyond 75,000 miles, something in the cooling system is bound to crap out, leaving you stranded and possibly destroying the engine....NOT a pretty story....

This is why we stress the importance of maintaining the cooling system above all else. A full system rebuild can run you between $500 and $800, depending on which kit you buy. This may sound like a lot, but it`s cheap compared to the damage usually done by just one episode of overheating.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
It's matter of seconds, begins with "low coolant" light, and then engine temperature begin to rise... everybody might not take signs seriously enough, or just can't stop quickly enough because of traffic.

Better when take care of things before anything happens.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrpm View Post
when you said the car stopped, did you mean that you finally decided to stop or that the engine stopped on its own? If its the former you may get lucky but if its the latter you have a very large paperweight under the hood. the i6 is a great engine but will not tolerate overheating.

+1
Old 07-08-2014, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
Thanks! Which kit do you recommend buying?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:24 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Max over at oembimmerparts.com has very affordable and great kits available.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 07-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
This is the top-of-the-line kit from Max:

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_E4...olmastrkit.htm

Good stuff !