Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2012, 02:12 PM
halltristan's Avatar
halltristan halltristan is offline
Bimmer Enthusiast
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 652
Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Anyone ever use this fluid for their GM transmission?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=930140_0_0_

It's Castrol (which BMW recommends for engine oil), Dexron VI, and specifically made for "use in GM vehicles". Anyone have any input?
__________________

Member No. 470379
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is online now
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 34,009
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Scan back through recent threads til you find Alex`s (Starless) thread on ATF compatibility.
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-13-2012, 04:14 PM
halltristan's Avatar
halltristan halltristan is offline
Bimmer Enthusiast
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 652
Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Scan back through recent threads til you find Alex`s (Starless) thread on ATF compatibility.
Bob, I've read his DIY before and the most recent thread about his tranny not liking the fluid; all in all I've done alot of research regarding the transmission fluid changes. But I still don't see a mention of the Castrol Dexron VI.

I think one of the things that confuses me the most is how several people seem to rely on the specific original fluid. I have seen A LOT of mention of the Texaco fluid. But to me, is just doesn't make any sense because the transmission is a GM manufactured transmission. It isn't like the transmission is some ultra rare specially made part; it probably in millions of vehicles of many makes. Any Dexron VI seems like it would work with no problem. Am I wrong? Obviously I don't want to kill my tranny.
__________________

Member No. 470379

Last edited by halltristan; 11-13-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is online now
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 34,009
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by halltristan View Post
Bob, I've read his DIY before and the most recent thread about his tranny not liking the fluid; all in all I've done alot of research regarding the transmission fluid changes. But I still don't see a mention of the Castrol Dexron VI.

I think one of the things that confuses me the most is how several people seem to rely on the specific original fluid. I have seen A LOT of mention of the Texaco fluid. But to me, is just doesn't make any sense because the transmission is a GM manufactured transmission. It isn't like the transmission is some ultra rare specially made part; it probably in millions of vehicles of many makes. Any Dexron VI seems like it would work with no problem. Am I wrong? Obviously I don't want to kill my tranny.
Dexron VI *should* be compatible with all GM-sourced trannies....at least that`s how it is being marketed. IMHO, the problem arises when you do a drain & refill, which leaves probably around 40% of the old (unknown) fluid in the system, and the resulting blend of COFs throws the trans a curve ball. Unfortunately, there`s no easy way around this....it just takes X number of drive cycles and *several* D&Rs until most of the old juice has been refreshed....
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-13-2012, 06:36 PM
halltristan's Avatar
halltristan halltristan is offline
Bimmer Enthusiast
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 652
Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Dexron VI *should* be compatible with all GM-sourced trannies....at least that`s how it is being marketed. IMHO, the problem arises when you do a drain & refill, which leaves probably around 40% of the old (unknown) fluid in the system, and the resulting blend of COFs throws the trans a curve ball. Unfortunately, there`s no easy way around this....it just takes X number of drive cycles and *several* D&Rs until most of the old juice has been refreshed....
So, based on the "curve ball" would you opt for the original fluid?
__________________

Member No. 470379
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Scott ZHP's Avatar
Scott ZHP Scott ZHP is online now
We want the Lion!
Location: PA, USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 7,527
Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by halltristan View Post
So, based on the "curve ball" would you opt for the original fluid?
Therein lies the problem. You can't get the original fluid. BMW has superceded the number and supplies dex VI
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-15-2012, 03:08 AM
halltristan's Avatar
halltristan halltristan is offline
Bimmer Enthusiast
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 652
Mein Auto: 325i and X3
I just found this, and I think it explains the confusion regarding correct fluid use:

"Because of the huge number of designs in common use, transmissions often have a specific fluid that they require. For instance, Honda requires a one of two fluids, with different characteristics than the fluid used in Toyota. In fact, even different model Toyota vehicles require different fluids. The same is true of Ford, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, late model GM and most others.

Often after design, a transmission may exhibit a characteristic that is not desirable. When this occurs, design engineers may formulate a fluid to alleviate the undesired effect. The same is true for problems that occur in service. Sometimes fluid is revised and upgraded. With so many fluids on the market it is imperative the correct fluid is installed in your vehicle."

(source: http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/45)
__________________

Member No. 470379
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms