Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
All US E46s have active stability control, unless it was different in Europe.
Here in europe some of them came without DSC, meaning some early models before facelift, but it was available as option even then.
Anyway according what i've hear i think i'm exactly happy this way.
I know what RWD can do on ice and snow so i don't need electronics to tie me down too much.
ABS and traction control are useful tools anyway.

Last edited by lgr122; 11-15-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to Fried Chicken
Mein Auto: BMW 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
An open diff will make it hard (or impossible) to do continuous donuts, but simple 180 is easy.
[snip]
Where did I practice when I was young? The large parking lot of an out-of-business store that wasn't entirely visible from the road. The key was, do a few things, and then leave before the neighbors called the cops. Just watch out for light posts.
Lol, good advice. I pulled into a parking lot out of sheer boredom and as soon as I did a 180 I saw the police guy right there who immediately lit me up.

As he approached the vehicle I made this face as he approached the vehicle.

He asked me what I was doing and I said I was turning around.
He then asked where I live and pointed out that this is not on the way to where I live... I told him "It is now".

After a lecture on why doing doughnuts in an empty parking lot in the middle of the night is dangerous, and some sobriety tests he let me go with a verbal warning and basically was like "I don't really care that you're doing doughnuts in a parking lot, drive safe".

Last edited by Fried Chicken; 11-29-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:02 AM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken View Post
Lol, good advice. I pulled into a parking lot out of sheer boredom and as soon as I did a 180 I saw the police guy right there who immediately lit me up.

He then asked where I live and pointed out that this is not on the way to where I live... I told him "It is now".

After a lecture on why doing doughnuts in an empty parking lot in the middle of the night is dangerous, and some sobriety tests he let me go with a verbal warning and basically was like "I don't really care that you're doing doughnuts in a parking lot, drive safe".
like the face
almost same thing happened to me some time ago when i was drifting on a roundabout in the middle of night with no one around. the roundabout leads to 4 roads, a cop was hiding in a place that could barely be seen, as soon as he saw me going sideways, he jumped infront of me and pulled me over, and asked me why i was speeding, told him i'm new in this area, thought i was going on a road when i realized i had to take the other, and was in a hurry... after a small lecture realized that townfolks always drift there and due to many complaints, he was fining speeders there, but since i'm new in town and had no idea, he told me to be on my way and to drive safe

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 11-29-2012, 02:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken View Post

Normally they don't care too much, as long as you aren't clearly causing danger to someone and they don't get complains from people.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:33 AM
Function over fashion

Mein Auto: 325xiT
I am lucky to live at the end of a dead end with a giant paved cul-de-sac right at the end of my driveway. Every time it snows I get up before the plow comes, and get in a good healthy balanced diet of throttle oversteer and countersteer before breakfast. Then I not only feel more prepared, but less itchy to go sideways, when I hit the real roads.