Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5
X5 Honest Opinion Help

Greetings all. My name is Eric. i currently own a 2003 X5 3.0 Sport with a 5 speed manual transmission. having only recently learned the advantages to forums i figured i would start out by asking those of you for your honest opinions on what i should do with my suv at this time.

to give you some background i love my truck more than anything and to own a BMW SUV with a manual transmission is such a rarity that parting ways with it seems to be such a difficult task. the truck was originally my fathers and then handed off to me. however i seem to be having one problem after another. to make a long story short the car runs fine but it needs many replacements to pass inspection as well as some other things (sensors, new cats, shocks, and the list goes on) after taking it to the dealer (not a fan of) they estimated that to get the car to complete driving condition would cost me around 8 grand. clearly this is money that i do not have so i spent the last year driving the car anyway until i recently leased a new car but still kept the BMW since no one wanted to give me anything for a trade in. the car currently has over 180K miles but somehow still manages to get me from point A to B without any difficulty.

That being said now is the time for me to make a huge decision and where i would like some honest opinions. Do to the fact that manual transmission X5's are no longer even made do you think its worth it to hold on to the truck till i find the time and money to get it to tip top shape, or do you think its better to cut my loses now and sell the car depending on what i can get for it?
Advertisement