Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

View Poll Results: E92 3 Series Coupe VS F32 4 Series Coupe
E92 3 Series Coupe 11 40.74%
F32 4 Series Coupe 16 59.26%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I was looking at your signature picture. How are you able to race your Z4 M Roadster without a frame mounted roll bar?
Fixed!

I've autocrossed the car twice since I bought it and have another autocross coming up next month.

I can't track the car at any BMW CCA track event (or more correctly, "High Performance Driving Event" or "High Performance Driving School") because BMW CCA does not allow open top cars regardless of any rollover protection they have. However, I tracked my S2000 many, many times at other non-BMW CCA track events. At this point I'd want dedicated track tires and wheels like I had on my S2000 and we have for our 335is (the runflat tires on the 335is didn't work so well for autocrossing). Maybe next year.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Last edited by SD Z4MR; 11-14-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
I naturally like the 4.

But prefer the look o'this Japanese car:

Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
I naturally like the 4.

But prefer the look o'this Japanese car:

I saw this at the IAS in Detroit last January. It was absolutely gorgeous, really stunning! I always loved the original NSX, and I still have a tiny bit of love left for Honda at this point, but I'm guessing that this will be out of my price range!
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
I'll be doing ED on an M4 in a few years no matter how it looks.
So you would be okay with a 450 hp clone of the Nissan "Cube"? I am presuming the fact that it might wear a BMW Roundel is incidental?

(Ah, I saw your post about the Aztec that you composed while I was composing)

Quote:
No, I would certainly not buy a car if I did not like the way it looks. I think most people would not.
Seriously, I think most consumers are primarily driven by looks and marque, performance and engineering are secondary. Just go back to the Bimmerfest archives and read the posts about "is the 1 series FWD or RWD?"
http://wwww.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...713&highlight=

For that matter look at all the 1 series posts about it looking like a "girl" car.

Quote:
I also would not buy a car that I liked the way it looks but does not perform very well.
This is where the discerning consumer steps in. Just as in my absurd example above, the looks have to go hand in hand with the performance. Does anybody remember the "no-go-Show-Boat" Camaro in the 70's? Looked great, fell flat on its face.

That being said, with regard to the F32/F33 I am more disturbed by the move away from an NA I6 than I am by the cosmetic metamorphism that is bound to occur with model changes. I am a long term keeper of cars, so my next car buying cycle will probably occur with the G or H variant, and by that time Turbos vs NA will most likely be totally irrelevant.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 11-14-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
So you would be okay with a 450 hp clone of the Nissan "Cube"? I am presuming the fact that it might wear a BMW Roundel is incidental?

Seriously, I think most consumers are primarily driven by looks and marque, performance and engineering are secondary. Just go back to the Bimmerfest archives and read the posts about "is the 1 series FWD or RWD?"
http://wwww.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...713&highlight=

For that matter look at all the 1 series posts about it looking like a "girl" car.

This is where the discerning consumer steps in. Just as in my absurd example above, the looks have to go hand in hand with the performance. Does anybody remember the "no-go-Show-Boat" Camaro in the 70's? Looked great, fell flat on its face.

That being said, with regard to the F32/F33 I am more disturbed by the move away from an NA I6 than I am by the cosmetic metamorphism that is bound to occur with model changes. I am a long term keeper of cars, so my next car buying cycle will probably occur with the G or H variant, and by that time Turbos vs NA will most likely be totally irrelevant.
Already asked and answered in Post #24!

Agreed that most consumers aren't very discerning or even very knowledgeable about their car purchases, or for that matter, most of their purchases.

This same woman who used to own a purple minivan because of the color now drives a 550i. She knows nothing about it, her husband bought it for her because "the 535i didn't have enough power". She calls it "her Beemer" and it's got those pretty blue and white emblems on it. He drive a "Porsh", but neither of them has ever driven either of the cars at any performance event of any kind, even a Car Control Clinic, so I'm not sure why he thinks that the 535i "doesn't have enough power" because neither of them would even know what to do with that power. His car also comes from Germany and has that pretty gold crest on it. They both look really good driving in their cars.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
As much as I like my 335is, I would like it much more if it were NA or if it had a super charger. The notchy turbo performance takes away from an otherwise very capable and enjoyable car.

Our S4 with a super charged 6 cylinder engine has super smooth performance by comparison. Unfortunately, It looks like gas powered engines with turbos are here to stay, at least with BMW, and possibly in time, they can get the turbos to perform as smooth as an NA engine. Until then however, I will not be buying any cars with turbos anytime soon for my personal rides at least.

I don't mind turbo diesel engines, and in fact, I really enjoyed test driving a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S last month when I was there for service. I would just have a real problem paying that kind of money for an SUV.

Last edited by beden1; 11-14-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Already asked and answered in Post #24!

Agreed that most consumers aren't very discerning or even very knowledgeable about their car purchases, or for that matter, most of their purchases.

This same woman who used to own a purple minivan because of the color now drives a 550i. She knows nothing about it, her husband bought it for her because "the 535i didn't have enough power". She calls it "her Beemer" and it's got those pretty blue and white emblems on it. He drive a "Porsh", but neither of them has ever driven either of the cars at any performance event of any kind, even a Car Control Clinic, so I'm not sure why he thinks that the 535i "doesn't have enough power" because neither of them would even know what to do with that power. His car also comes from Germany and has that pretty gold crest on it. They both look really good driving in their cars.
Now, now, don't be a hater. You live in CA and should be used to status seekers by now. Your neighbors do sound like they would be perfect candidates to be on a "Housewives of San Diego" Reality TV show.

Last edited by beden1; 11-14-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
She calls it "her Beemer" and it's got those pretty blue and white emblems on it. He drive a "Porsh". . . . They both look really good driving in their cars.
OMG, don't get me started on the "Porsh" and for that matter "Beamer" thing. I almost made mortal enemies of in-laws this summer over those details.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
OMG, don't get me started on the "Porsh" and for that matter "Beamer" thing. I almost made mortal enemies of in-laws this summer over those details.
My wife and I had this very discussion last month about Beamer versus Bimmer. She loves BMWs and is on her second and drove my previous BMWs whenever she could get her hands on the keys. So, we were taking a drive in the country and she commented about a "beamer" that drove by. I asked her where she heard that terminology and she said that is what everyone from work and her other friends calls them. I straightened her out, nicely of course, but it is what it is.

She knows that a Porsche is a Porsche and not a Porsh, fortunately.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
She knows that a Porsche is a Porsche and not a Porsh, fortunately.
Lucky you.
My curse is that I was taught correctly at the tender age of 5 that it is "Por-shuh".

Unfortunately for me, this summer our 26 year old niece tried to 'educate' me on how "hip" people pronounce Porsche. More unfortunate, is her stepmom who probably really doesn't have a clue what the difference is between a Ferarri and Ford Focus chastised me for being "pompous" for making the effort toward correct pronounciation.

(Thank you for letting me vent that among folks who understand.)

Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
If it has a hood delete i'm in!! Better yet if it resembles it's brother the F30 I'm out!! Get the E90's while still available and save your soul!!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci 6 Spd, 07 335Cic
without seeing the front, i like it so far, though i still think the timeless lines of my e46 are really tough to beat..
Old 11-15-2012, 05:14 AM
Original Owners Club

Mein Auto: '10 E93;'66 MGB;'73 240Z
I think the F32 looks better than I thought it would. The new roofline seems more "Porsche-like" to me, and since the vent on the front fender is functional, I don't really have a problem with it. I am more interested in seeing how the new F33 cabrio will look since if I replaced my E93 (which is doubtful) it would need to be replaced by another cabrio/convertible.

Other Cars:
1973 Datsun 240Z
1966 MGB Roadster
Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
way too early to tell, but if I hadto say based on this picture i would say e92 because i hate those stupid ford mustang looking side vents.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:33 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
For what ever reason or make of car a solid chunk of the current owners always "hate" the new model.

Its especially interesting to watch the hate build up in car lines that are very evolutionary like BMW. Maybe it makes some sense in a car like the Acura TL that went from the 3G to 4G beak but its a real stretch in the 3 series.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 11-15-2012, 07:08 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
f30 deserves the hate, and whoever designed should have gotten canned
Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
I'm surprised by how similar the two are from the side. The Hoffmeister kink is a bit too severe for my tastes, but I don't hate it.

What's interesting is how the panels fit together. How the hood opens is different in the two models. In the E92, the running board panel has a bit of a swoop shape; in the F32, it's straight all the way. In the E92, the shape makes room for the swoop of the M Sport running board. In the F32, they won't be able to handle that. So it will be interesting to see how the running board is modified for the M Sport option.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 11-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
On-topic: I will not vote because "no preference" is not an option. With the front and rear of the F32 masked, the remaining cues are insufficient for me to decide which I prefer. Unlike the E46 coupe, the E92 never really "grabbed" me; that may have a lot to do with why I am still neutral on the F32--it's an evolutionary revision. I don't yet see anything dramatically better, nor do I see anything offensively worse.

I don't care for the featureless rocker panel of the F32. I do like the wheels. I think the Hofmeister kink is too small, approaching vestigial, but it may work within the overall design. The F32 appears to have addressed the "heaviness" of the rear 3/4 view of the E92, looking somewhat better-balanced in the photos...need to see it unmasked to be sure. Overall, I do not see enough positive or negative points to tip the scales yet...it's just different.

(One thing's certain: If I see "sleek"/"sleeker" used a few more times to describe the F32 I may start mailing out dictionary and thesaurus excerpts. For one, find another adjective already. For another, if anything I find the F32 less sleek than the E92, based on what's visible so far.)

Off topic (and more fun ):
Quote:
Quote:
My curse is that I was taught correctly at the tender age of 5 that it is "Por-shuh".

Unfortunately for me, this summer our 26 year old niece tried to 'educate' me on how "hip" people pronounce Porsche.
Oh, that must have been rich. It would almost have been worth the airfare to have been invited to listen in at that table!

I usually manage to bite my tongue and simply use the correct pronunciation at every opportunity. But on the rare occasions when someone has challenged the distinction, even after being told they are mangling a person's name, I start mispronouncing their name until it sinks in. That's guaranteed fun.

(I suspect your in-laws would have thrown me out before dessert.)

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 AM
1STBMW

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Coupe
My Lease will be up in Oct of 2015 so it will be interesting to see what the F32 will be then but I wonderd what the N55 sucesser will be. Here's a quote from the F30 forum: "but the 435i (or 440i) may very well usher in the successor to the current N55 twin turbo inline 6 engine." I herd rumers of a 3 turbo engine. So that begs the question; Will that be a little too close in performance to the M4? At any rate I'm very pleased with my E92 for now but in 3 years I will have to part with my belovd Msport coupe. Oh well, onward and upward!
John

2012 335i Turbo Coupe | M Sport | (ZM2) | ZCV (CP) | ZPP (PP) | 688| (HK) | 6NR (BA) | 494 (HS)
7XA (Leather Stering Wheel w/paddles) | 609 (Nav System) | 639 (BMW Assist)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
The triple turbo rumors were in relation to the M3/M4 but those have been debunked. The M3/M4 will be powered by an N54 derived 3 liter twin turbo inline 6. The new N55 replacement will be single turbo.

Tim
Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 AM
1STBMW

Tim, please excuse a newbee but I thought the N55 is a single turbo but with 2 scrolls thus giving it the name "twin powered" (but its still a single turbo" At least that is the info I was given from my dealer. I of course differ to you sir.
John

2012 335i Turbo Coupe | M Sport | (ZM2) | ZCV (CP) | ZPP (PP) | 688| (HK) | 6NR (BA) | 494 (HS)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
You are correct. If I implied that the N55 was twin turbo that was not my intent.

Tim
Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 AM
1STBMW

I was hoping for more HP on the 2014/15 F32. You can never get enough SEX, $$ or HP. So to stay on topic I would have to say I vote for the F32
John

Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufthansa View Post
IIRC, the new coupe won't have the NA six, but a turbo 4 as the base engine. I don't do turbos and I don't do fours.
I'm not sure what you will be driving, in the entry premium segment going forward, that doesn't have either or both.

I'm reserving judgment until I see one in person. The F30, to me, looks way better that way than in any picture. The air vent surround does look a little troublesome.

Last edited by WillInDenver; 11-15-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
f30 deserves the hate, and whoever designed should have gotten canned
Damn straight!! BMW though will admit to no wrong doing.