Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330 Ci ZHP
The US spec E36 was goverened at 128 mph. The euro spec supposedly would do 142 mph. I had a 1992 325 IS when I was stationed in Germany and the speedometer would max out at 130 on the autobahn but the car still had more in it so 142 is believable. I had it for 15 years and it still ran well but the AC was shot and it was starting to look shabby so I sold it and eventually got myself an E46.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 96 neon, 92 325is
I got the car and I'm messing around with it and as I was pulling the airbox out the top hose on the back side had some coolant in it. What would cause that? Does that open up a new problem area that I need to look into? I had the car running and it sat in the middle on the temp gauge and diddnt run hot. Idk what's going on. Has anyone herd of this?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Not quite sure..

If the hose has a brass cylinder attached to it.. its part of the emissions equipment.
It allows coolant into the throttle body.

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:12 PM

I don't see a brass clylinder anywhere. From what I'm looking at their is 3 lines that come down from the throttle body the first one closest to the front of the car runs to the back of the air box and the coolant was in that hose. I opened the butterfly and saw that coolant had passed through there. Could this be because the car sat for so long that when I was running it some fluids got into places they diddnt belong? Or does that not make any sense.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:23 PM

.. ?
Since you dont know what you're describing.. maybe a pic would help.

There are two coolant lines to the throttle body.
One brass temp valve that is stuck in the bottom rear of the airbox.

www.realoem.com will show you parts diagrams.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=11&fg=35 and
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...26&hg=64&fg=18

OR, this... NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=11&fg=35

Coolant flow besides the main rad hoses is pretty simple.
There is an air bleeder hose that goes from the top of the rad on the driver's side to the expansion tank.

There are coolant output ports on the cylinder head to feed the heater core valves and the throttle body. Both of these return to the Heater Return pipe that runs along the driver's side of the block. The bottom of the expansion tank also connects here via hose that runs inside the radiator shroud. The heater valve is next to the firewall behind the intake manifold.

Last edited by bmw-mania; 08-13-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:32 PM

False alarm I refered to my manual and i removed the hoses from the coolant bypass valve on the airbox. I guess its to keep the throttle from freezing up due to pressure changes. I should of left the lines on the valve itsself then no coolant would of came out.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:36 PM

What? What manual is that?

Fisher-Price my first E36?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:50 PM

looks like i need to replace the pan gasket its leaking pretty bad. I have the raidiatior pulled, and from what it looks like it may need a head gasket. should i just pull the whole engine out? I am going to put a new clutch in anyways and yes it sounds like alot of work, but all of that sounds easier to do with the entire engine out. to me anyways
the manual i am using isint mine i borrowed it, and yes i agree its a joke. not very clear instructions. I'm sure pulling the engine isint the easiest of things to do but does anyone have some pointers on how to make this go as smooth as possible? or is their a different approach i should take in replacing these things
Old 11-15-2012, 12:35 PM

gone

after tearing into the car a bit i realized it was going to take alot more time and money then what i originally anticipated. i put it on craigslist and sold it in 3 days. im wating on a call back on a nice 94 325i with only 102000 miles on it. its very nice. i hope i get it!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 AM

damn..

I hope it worked out for you.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 PM

Turned out the car I was looking at wasn't as good as I thought. It had different gauges put in at some point and the mileage wasn't correct. He had it listed with 102,000 miles and I had been asking the owner questions about the car for a few days, then I asked for the vin ran a carfax check on it and had 22 reports come back. Damn. So I payed the 40 bucks and back in 06 the cars odometer read 146xxx then two months after that a new owner was listed then every other report said the odometer reading was exempt up until the 8th month of this year when it had service in eagle river wi, and said it had 102xxx? Good thing I did that saved myself making a 3+ grand mistake. That car could of easily had well over 200,000 on it by now. I ended up getting a different 94 325is it's red 5 speed the engine is solid. Just changed tranny fluid, oil, and spark plugs. My list of things I want to do are, vanos rebuild, water pump and coolant flush, thermostat, reardif fluid, shifter bushings, clutch, and new springs/struts. It should be real nice then. I really like this car. Except this damn brakelight out. :/