Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 35i
Another new X1 owner

Picked up an Xdrive 35i this weekend for the wife, she really liked it and had to have one. She wasnt very impressed with the 4 cylinder power so she gave up NAV, backup camera and a few other toys for the six cylinder. Its white with the staggered 323 wheels, premium package, cold weather package (kind of odd since the staggered wheels/tires are summer tires) and Sirius radio. I'd post some pics but its filthy after a couple days of rain.

Have about 500 miles on it already, 70/30 highway/city avg mpg is pretty stable at 24.5mpg which is pretty good. Granted she has been taking it easy since its new.

Pretty impressed with the power, surprisingly quick and a will be a great stoplight warrior, wife loves it. I drove it a bit yesterday and its a pretty nice little car/SAV/Crossover or whatever it is. Little wind noise on the highway, the speedo being 4-5mph high at 70mph is a bit annoying. But at least the odometer is correct and not piling up 5% more mileage, hoping that will be fixed in the future since the dealer told me about it right off the bat and I confirmed with my GPS, my old 2011 M3 and 2008 535 speedo was right on so I'm pretty sure BMW can handle getting it a little closer. Keeping fingers crossed that there will be no HPFP issues on these.

Overall pretty happy with it, handles well, looks good, nice sounding exhaust and its something different around here for now.
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Congrats on the new X1. Nice car. Regarding the speedo, this is normal for BMW. German regulations specify a speedo cannot run slower than the actual speed so BMW engineers them to indicate faster than actual speed. It's normal for all BMW models. If you want to run at 75, set the cruise at 80 mph.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
Pictures or videos?! I've been debating the 323 wheels but there are practically no good pictures of a white X1 with that option.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Congrats on the new X1. Nice car. Regarding the speedo, this is normal for BMW. German regulations specify a speedo cannot run slower than the actual speed so BMW engineers them to indicate faster than actual speed. It's normal for all BMW models. If you want to run at 75, set the cruise at 80 mph.
I dont know about that, like I said my old 2011 M3 speedo was right on, so was my old 2008 535, so was my wife's 2010 A4 (last three German cars I owned).

Unless thats a new 'feature' for 2013..
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
Pictures or videos?! I've been debating the 323 wheels but there are practically no good pictures of a white X1 with that option.
Not a great pic, but until the weekend when I can take a pic in the daylight its the best I can do.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1
It would be interesting to see a class action law suit about the maintenance plan expiring sooner due to the higher speed "feature".
Old 11-14-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfex View Post
It would be interesting to see a class action law suit about the maintenance plan expiring sooner due to the higher speed "feature".
I drove 150 miles on the highway with my Garmin GPS on and the mileage was exactly the same so it appears to be an error in the speedo. The GPS read 5mph off at 80mph, if the odometer was off it should added another 7.5 miles to the odometer which it didint so who knows.

I have a feeling a software update will be coming to fix it when more people realize it.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
My speedo reads 5 mph too high as well. My dealership told me it's common and that nothing can be done about it. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if it's not at least in part an attempt to improve real world fuel economy numbers. Driving 65 instead of 70 is a sneaky way to get unknowing customers a bump in their mpg's.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 11-14-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
My speedo reads 5 mph too high as well. My dealership told me it's common and that nothing can be done about it. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if it's not at least in part an attempt to improve real world fuel economy numbers. Driving 65 instead of 70 is a sneaky way to get unknowing customers a bump in their mpg's.

Could be, its not really that big of a deal to me but I will mention it when it goes in. If it was adding up the miles 5% more quickly it would be a bigger deal though.

I can see maybe 1-2mph to be safe buy 4-5mph at highway speeds is way off to me, if Chevy, Ford and Dodge can show the correct mph I'm sure BMW can get a little closer.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Okay wait, how is the speedo calibrated? on the stock 17" rims?
Do they adjust the speedo if 18"/19" rims are installed via the Sport, Xline, M Sport lines?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Do they adjust the speedo if 18"/19" rims are installed via the Sport, Xline, M Sport lines?
Awesome question!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
The overall tire diameter/circumference of all factory sizes are essentially the same, so the speedo calibration is also the same.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 11-14-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
The overall tire diameter/circumference of all factory sizes are essentially the same, so the speedo calibration is also the same.
+1

Plus if the speedo was off from tire size difference the odometer would be off as well.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
C'mon, of course they do. If the rolling diameter is different they would use a different sensor. I suggest you go to the E90 forum, that's where I usually post. The speedo error question has been discussed for years and it's totally normal for BMW.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
C'mon, of course they do. If the rolling diameter is different they would use a different sensor. I suggest you go to the E90 forum, that's where I usually post. The speedo error question has been discussed for years and it's totally normal for BMW.
Same sensor, different calibration.

Like I said its not a deal breaker as long as the odometer reads correctly, my '11 E92 was very close on the speedometer so its not all BMWs. Same with my old 535, but honestly I never checked that one against a GPS, but I never remember getting dirty looks going 80mph in the left lane land (70mph speed limit) like this X1 lol. Maybe the Ms get closer calibrations, who knows.

But I did notice that when I set the cruise at 70mph the little extra cruise needle goes to 72mph and thats where the speedometer sits as well so thats 2mph in gauge error right there. I guess overall its a good thing since my wife drives too fast anyhow and its her DD, I havent told her its that far off
Old 11-15-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
wind resistance (drag) increases with the 2nd power of velocity. at slow speeds (low turbulence) differences in velocity are less significant, but in the 70/75 range, the difference in drag, and therefor MPG, can be large. i wouldn't totally discount the speedo "error" as a marketing device for owners to achieve seemingly better MPG, and even faster apparent acceleration times!

curious though - don't Germans pride themselves on always being on time? or is that just the Swiss-Germans? they still drive BMWs too though....
Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyX1 View Post
wind resistance (drag) increases with the 2nd power of velocity. at slow speeds (low turbulence) differences in velocity are less significant, but in the 70/75 range, the difference in drag, and therefor MPG, can be large. i wouldn't totally discount the speedo "error" as a marketing device for owners to achieve seemingly better MPG, and even faster apparent acceleration times!

curious though - don't Germans pride themselves on always being on time? or is that just the Swiss-Germans? they still drive BMWs too though....
Wonder if the euro spec cars are off by 6.5-8kph