Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: Durango
Z3 rear diff mount issues

I am currently building a 99 Z3 for the wife. The car was given to me as payment for some work did for the owner. The issue is the car was in a wreck, it was hit on the driver side rear quarter. I found a parts car for cheap and have most of what I need to fix the car. I will be swapping the rear diff assembly from the parts car as the lower control arm on mine was bent. I have both assemblies out and the diff I will be installing at the local BMW shop being inspected before installation.

The big question I have is the diff mount is starting to split. The only place splitting is where the third member bolts to the body, I do not see any other stress cracks in the body. I understand this is a common issue and there are kits out there to reinforce this area. Can anybody suggest a good kit to go with? I've looked at several sites and not found anything as of yet, I think UUC makes one?

The original diff had 3:15 gears in it and the new rear has 4:10 gears since it was an auto. It should make for a fun car to drive when I is done! Thanks in advance for the info.
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe and 2003 Z4
I'm not up on rear axle ratios, but 4.10 sounds like it could be from a 4 cylinder car. I would wonder about the strength of that differential for a 6 cylinder car...Randy Forbes, who visits these pages regularly is the guy to answer your differential mount question
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
erandyforbes@aol.com

Here's a link to the album of this forums' moderator's 3.0 Coupe. You'd want to do a similar repair on the car you're building for your wife: http://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/LZ_02

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 11-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEBOY View Post
I'm not up on rear axle ratios, but 4.10 sounds like it could be from a 4 cylinder car. I would wonder about the strength of that differential for a 6 cylinder car...Randy Forbes, who visits these pages regularly is the guy to answer your differential mount question
Actually the rear came out of a 2.8 auto car so it should handle what my 2.5 can give it.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe and 2003 Z4
TBuff, that is good to hear that it is from a six cylinder car...be prepared for your highway/interstate rpms to go up @25% and your gas mileage to go down some....
Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBuff View Post
Can anybody suggest a good kit to go with?
I would go with Randy's. See his post above.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW Perf Tune w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:41 PM

I've been in contact with Randy. That is a very nice kit he offers. I already have the rear of the care completely stripped so no "real" extra work to install it.

I am not really concerned with the extra RPMs or loss of milage. This will be a weekend toy to enjoy instead of a daily driver. She is excited about having some spirited 0 to 60 fun or enjoying a spin down the Blue Ridge Parkway.