Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-07-2012, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 coupe
Question Adaptive Headlights

I had to have the right side adaptive headlight module replaced.

I am curious as to "Programming the Moudule"

It took about 4 hours. What is programmed and why does it take so much time.
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
If it was at the dealer, it is so they could bill the company the max allowed!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysea7 View Post
I had to have the right side adaptive headlight module replaced.

I am curious as to "Programming the Moudule"

It took about 4 hours. What is programmed and why does it take so much time.

Have seen no reason at all for BMW's grossly long programming times. Should take maybe 10 sec. to load code.

Maybe they're using 1200 baud. Would that be disappointing?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Convertible
It is my understanding that they sometimes have to do a full update when programming. In other words they reload all the software in the system to get you up to the latest software revs for all modules. This takes time. Apparently lots of it.
2001 X5, 2009 528i (retired)
Old 11-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrocks View Post
It is my understanding that they sometimes have to do a full update when programming. In other words they reload all the software in the system to get you up to the latest software revs for all modules. This takes time. Apparently lots of it.
yup, they often have to program all modules to ensure compatibility across the network, and if it fails, they have to start over. the car also needs to be connected to a high amp power supply (not just a charger) to make sure the voltage doesnt drop during programming.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 11-08-2012, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i E90 (MT,Sport)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Have seen no reason at all for BMW's grossly long programming times. Should take maybe 10 sec. to load code.

I've done some embedded programming work on systems like that. They can be ungodly slow sometimes. You are often updating over a very slow RS-232 serial cable, and the memory controllers have long erase cycles. A 48K bank could take half an hour to reprogram due to various issues. Course, that was back in the 1990s.

Could they use faster stuff? Sure. Would there be any business value? Probably not to justify the development costs. I mean, obviously an ASE tech isn't waiting for four hours, they are off multitasking.

And we all know that car manufacturers value their production costs WAAAY more than they value the mechanics time. Horror stories like pulling the whole engine just to replace an alternator.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
Could they use faster stuff? Sure. Would there be any business value? Probably not to justify the development costs. I mean, obviously an ASE tech isn't waiting for four hours, they are off multitasking.
I had a couple of interesting conversations about this with the service manager and shop foreman of my local dealer, around when they were moving to a new facility. The current standard for BMW service departments has a high-speed Ethernet drop at every service bay. Also the in-house servers are now capable of hosting most firmware updates for the cars--not that long ago, certain updates had to be streamed to the car direct from Germany. You can imagine how well that went sometimes, contributing to a higher flat-hours figure for reflashes. The car itself is undoubtedly the slowest link now.

The tech will be off doing other things but part of the billed time probably accounts for tying up a service bay with active work, attended or not. Bottom line, there is definitely plenty of business value in being able to churn more cars through the shop.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 11-15-2012, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 coupe
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks to all who replied.

Did not realize that the "Programming" was not item specific.

Sounds kinda scarry, knowing what happens with a bad download/ flash.

Jaysea7
Old 11-15-2012, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Surprised there is anyone old enough on this forum to remember what it felt like transmitting data at 1200 baud.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
I've done some embedded programming work on systems like that. They can be ungodly slow sometimes. You are often updating over a very slow RS-232 serial cable, and the memory controllers have long erase cycles. A 48K bank could take half an hour to reprogram due to various issues. Course, that was back in the 1990s.

And we all know that car manufacturers value their production costs WAAAY more than they value the mechanics time. Horror stories like pulling the whole engine just to replace an alternator.
This.
But the development costs should not be passed to the consumer. My 2 cents..
Old 11-16-2012, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
development costs should not be passed to the consumer.
Ultimately all costs end up passed on to customers in one way or another.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post

Surprised there is anyone old enough on this forum to remember what it felt like transmitting data at 1200 baud.

Once is a while....a very long while....ya run across a digital dinosaur sloggin' through the muck.

Show stopper: 300 baud handset connection. That's just gotta be why code install times are so long....below is a tech instructor w/BMW reprogramming gear:

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 11-16-2012 at 07:55 AM.