Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
I think his are custom made with a 5 or 6" lip. Very Nice I seem them in person.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerisheteknik View Post
thats right its a PITA...btw did you use permatex gasket maker around the new gasket?? also did you just press the feed pipe back inside the alternator housing and water pump? i bought a new feed pipe and was thinking putting a little oil to make it go in easier...thx
Pipe was fine, and I just threw in the gasket since it was a really snug fit. So far no issues..........if it happens again which I believe it won't I will put some on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkruz View Post
do the alternators have oil in them? I thought they were electrical generators with copper windings. Is the oil coming from somewhere else and dripping past the alternator?
Like bayerisheteknik said, its sealed and brushless. The coolant system runs through the alternator housing to keep it cool. On diesel models and I think the B7's there is another oil cooler of some sort that attaches where that block off bracket is.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie2008 View Post
I think his are custom made with a 5 or 6" lip. Very Nice I seem them in person.
your rims look good...they go with the car

only reason i got only 20's because of ride quality...i was thinking that with 22's and very low profile tires the 7 series would feel like 3 series...how is the ride quality with 22s?
Old 08-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins912 View Post
Pipe was fine, and I just threw in the gasket since it was a really snug fit. So far no issues..........if it happens again which I believe it won't I will put some on there.

Like bayerisheteknik said, its sealed and brushless. The coolant system runs through the alternator housing to keep it cool. On diesel models and I think the B7's there is another oil cooler of some sort that attaches where that block off bracket is.
how many miles since you replaced the gasket???
Old 08-08-2012, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Maybe 500 or so!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:30 PM

here is update....took the flagship for first long drive today.....everything is perfect....no leaks oil or coolant...engine is dry like it just came of showroom floor even though it has 120k miles...scanned it no dtc no pending dtc...

also replaced rotors and pads but was trying to reuse the old pad sensors....well the red warning appeared for brakes...so had to buy new sensors and erased the brake service and everything is perfect.....

ride quality on 20's is good but not as smooth as with 18's....but who cares looks good and handles better....

btw anyone has 20 or 30 mm spacers for sale??? don't really like how the rear wheels fill out the fender wells....

waxed the car too....only few things left...need to order door brake for left door and door trim for driver side....also fix the unlock button on keyless....
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Last edited by bayerisheteknik; 08-24-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:34 PM

Old 08-28-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: E65 735i, Ducati1199
Hello mate. Have everything stripped back. Just about to remove the alternator and bracket. Quick question. Did you take the weight of the engine with a jack before you undid the torx bolts on the mounting frame?
Cheers
Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4hwt View Post
Hello mate. Have everything stripped back. Just about to remove the alternator and bracket. Quick question. Did you take the weight of the engine with a jack before you undid the torx bolts on the mounting frame?
Cheers
Hello mate...which part of UK are you from?
yes i used my jack that i positioned under where powersteering pump was held on the block...ill include a pic
so this way you can raise/lower the engine when you start to remove the rear torx bolts..
best acces to those two is to take off the driver wheel and acces them that way...you will have to lower/raise engine to get to each one of those...be sure to use a lots of force the first time(very easy to strip the bolts)....you can use you mate to give you a hand to hold the extension on the bolt and you just turn the ratchet...i'll include some pics
i used 1/2 inch ratchet,extensions,and flexible joint...on the joint i used some electrical tape to make it little stiffer
let us know how it all goes and good luck
im making a video on youtube...step by step DIY for alternator bracket oil leak...so folks like us can fix it at home instead of paying lots of hard earned money to dealxx

Old 08-28-2012, 10:09 AM

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I am a bit worried about stripping the bolts too. So I will take extra care.
I'm just outside Glasgow in Scotland. My leak is pretty bad the power steering pump is covered in engine oil
Old 08-28-2012, 11:36 AM

anytime,thats what we are here for...help each other out mate
mine was same way...oil everywhere,thing was i bought the car and next day big oil leak..
let us know how it went...
cheers
btw have lots of friends over there
Old 08-29-2012, 04:06 AM

Well was going well this morning. Only 1 more torx bolt to come out. It's a royal PIA the fwd most top one. Even managed to drop my T12 socket down the back of the bracket. Now have to go buy another one. Only way to get it back is to remove the cover. Unbelievable!!
Dunno whether to tackle this from Above or below. Off out to the tool store for now.

Last edited by D4hwt; 08-29-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 05 745 LI, 05 Acura RL
so is it standard practice to replace the alt while doing this? is it necessary? or is it just the gasket that needs to be replaced?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 AM
It's the Machine in Me!

Mein Auto: 03 745i, 94 840Ci & 88 M3
Quote:
What are these screens of & from what?
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Well was going well this morning. Only 1 more torx bolt to come out. It's a royal PIA the fwd most top one. Even managed to drop my T12 socket down the back of the bracket. Now have to go buy another one. Only way to get it back is to remove the cover. Unbelievable!!
Dunno whether to tackle this from Above or below. Off out to the tool store for now.
thats sucks ehhh....how are the prices of tools/parts over there??
i did the fwd most top one from top...raised the engine to the max with out braking anything...its pia but just take your time and cool head mate
good luck
Old 08-29-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBrad7 View Post
so is it standard practice to replace the alt while doing this? is it necessary? or is it just the gasket that needs to be replaced?
well i had to replace the alt because previous owner put a wrong one in...if you have a leak from the gasket you have to take everything out...if your alt is good you still have to take it out
Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sircas View Post
What are these screens of & from what?
i don't think i understand what you are asking???
Old 08-29-2012, 09:22 AM

Yup cheers bud. After I came back from the tool store and had another look I got it out. All back on now. Was a mess under there. I'll post pics up. Decided to whip off the valve cover gasket while the power steering pump and tank is still out. Should have everything back together more or less tomorrow. Just the transmission to do next week and car is perfect again.
Off to drink lots of beer and chill now. Thanks again for your tips.

Last edited by D4hwt; 08-29-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Yup cheers bud. After I came back from the tool store and had another look I got it out. All back on now. Was a mess under there. I'll post pics up. Decided to whip off the valve cover gasket while the power steering pump and tank is still out. Should have everything back together more or less tomorrow. Just the transmission to do next week and car is perfect again.
congrats...mate

btw what are you doing on tranny?? fluid/filter?? thats what i have to do now too

post some pix too if you can ehh

salute!!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
congrats...mate

btw what are you doing on tranny?? fluid/filter?? thats what i have to do now too

post some pix too if you can ehh

salute!!
Cheers mate, I'm gonna do the mechatronix sealing sleeve, bridge adaptor and pan gasket. Had a new pan and fluid replaced about 3 years ago by an indie but it has a small leak again so gonna do it myself this time. Then I know it'll be done right this time.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Cheers mate, I'm gonna do the mechatronix sealing sleeve, bridge adaptor and pan gasket. Had a new pan and fluid replaced about 3 years ago by an indie but it has a small leak again so gonna do it myself this time. Then I know it'll be done right this time.
thats right if you do something yourself,you know its done right...people these days are trying to make quick money but quality is not there anymore....
my tranny is not leaking but with 120k miles i have to see how it looks in there,since i just bought the car....and the previous owner was a crook
i have little harsh shifts from 1st to 2nd
Old 08-29-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:

damn that was a good leak....
mine was same way,used some brake cleaner to clean everything off...engine looked like new after that...
Old 08-29-2012, 12:26 PM

funny thing is your driveway looks similar to mine...
Old 11-15-2012, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 745li
Angry Help

hey im in the process of doing my oil leak. i am stuck at the point of removing the 4 bolts on the motor mount/bracket....i got the 2 bolts up front out but the rear 2 seem impossible.....any tips would be great help... i did not remove anything from the drivers wheel side. only underneath. i removed the alternator and the power steering pump... and the alternator bracket bolts are off. i just need to loosen/take out the 2 torx bolts on the motor mount and im stuck

btw how is your leak? is it bad or just dribbles slowly?
congratulations on vcg job....
i have a dynamic drive too but i just removed it with anti roll bar and tied it with zip ties and same thing with power steering pump......its not complicated just takes a little time for the first time as you try to figure out the best and easiest way to do it with out engine hoist and special tools.....actually i had a guy give me a hand since i was under the car and he was under the fender driver side turning the ratchet and i was holding the extension with e torx socket....those 4 motor mount torx bolts are the worst because if the socket slips then you have problems....i think its better if you have someone help you when removing those 4 bolts....i will try to post more pics and videos later on...good luck with your project coming up in few weeks...i am also interested and will watch your progress...good day[/QUOTE]
Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 745li
also i do not have the liquid cooling alternator? i dont know if that makes any difference.