Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2012, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
Crack in Expansion Tank

I'm completely new to this forum and all this stuff so please forgive me if this is a dumb question. I was driving back from work today and everything was going fine with my car. it wasn't running hot or anything. I pulled into my apt put the car in park and turned it off. I got out of the car and out of nowhere I hear this pop noise and I look down underneath the car and its a steady flow of water coming out and then smoke starting coming out from under the hood. So I wait for the engine to cool down (about an hour later) I go back out and crank the car. Its not running hot or anything I look inside at the gauges and the ant-freeze sign turns on. So I turn the car off and wait about 30 minutes for everything to be cooled down when I open up the cap to the expansion tank to pour some anti-freeze and water in and as fast as I pour it in I can see it coming out the side of the tank out of a pretty big crack. My car has been running fine with no obvious problems. it has 129,676 miles on it. Then I started thinking about it it was about 2 weeks ago the fan or the ac and the heater went out in my car. I could still feel warm air or cold air depending on whether I had the heater or the ac on but it wouldn't blow out of the vents unless I was driving down the road. Basically the wind of me moving was pushing the air threw the vents. I've been out of college for a total of 4 months just moved to a new city for a new job and I'm pretty broke right now after the cost of moving and starting out this new job. SO I was wondering if any of you guys had advice on my situation with the car trying to spend the least amount of money that I can for a month or so until I start getting my paychecks and can afford to take it in and get a complete check and tune up. Any ideas of what my problem could be? I'm hoping it's just the expansion tank but I'm also a novice when it comes to cars so I'm just trying to get as much info as I can on forums to help me... Thanks for the advice in advance that any of you guys can help me out with......

P.S. I have a manual transmission and I drive a 2001 330ci

Last edited by xpage517; 11-15-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Advertisement