Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-10-2012, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 528ix
Ordering a car vs buying off the lot

In April I purchased my first BMW, a 528ix. It had tech, premium, cold weather, bmw apps, and sirius and listed for 56,795 in Central New Jersey. I emailed 5 - 6 dealers and noted I was getting better prices via email, than when dealing in person. I eventually located a dealer with several of these cars, same config, similar color, etc and negotiated a price of 51,800, before the 1500 rebate, so landed at 50,300. I really wanted the luxury seats, problem is only 1 existed on the lot, and the dealer knew that and wouldnt come close to this deal. Ive noticed a lot of people "ordering" their cars, they way they want it, and then tracking the order. The benefits of ordering is obvious, you get your car custom, but my question is what negotiating power are you giving up? Is it significant? Do the dealers just give you a flat amount off sticker, or if any? I cant imaging paying list. Would be interested to know whether a deal is even possible when ordering and how people approach this. Love the car, replaced a G35, but getting a deal equally important.
Ads by Google
Old 07-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I did $500 over invoice on a European Delivery. Happy with it.

For some buyers, it's not about getting the best deal, but getting the car they want.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I bought my last three cars via European Delivery. It's the best way yo buy a Bimmer or a Benz.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 07-10-2012, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
BMW and MB European Delivery make for some great deals. Until pretty recently, Porsche actually charged extra for the privilege..... They offer it free now, but you don't see any savings like you get from BMW and MB.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i

Last edited by swajames; 07-10-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:37 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Dealer sponsors or other dealers that we know will give you invoice plus $500 or $750 on an ordered car, less invoice, no shenanigans.

The only drawback is the wait.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: German
You get a pretty damn good deal if you custom order. Probably just as good as something from a lot (unless the dealer car was something undesirable and needed to be sold, such as Northeast-bound car without heated seats)
Old 07-12-2012, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
If you buy a car off the lot the dealer has to pay interest on the money he borrows to buy the car for the period of time the car sits on the lot unsold. If he orders the car for you he saves the money he would have to spend on the interest until he can sell the car. So, he makes more money on an ordered car if he sells it at the same price. That's why you can get as good or even better price on a car ordered from the factory as for one sitting on the dealer's lot. Also, when you order your car you get exactly the colors and options you want. Given the vast array of options and colors on modern BMWs it's unlikely you can get exactly what you want in something sitting on any dealer's lot. Of course, that means you have to think ahead as to when your lease is up or when you will need the new car. I always order my cars and the wait is usually less than 3 months.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Mein Auto: 2012 E92 M3
The best dealers will deal on all cars. It's a big purchase. Make sure you get exactly what you want.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
BMW and MB European Delivery make for some great deals. Until pretty recently, Porsche actually charged extra for the privilege..... They offer it free now, but you don't see any savings like you get from BMW and MB.
No surprise there. Porsches ain't cheap. If you want a Porsche you are going to have to pay for it
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 07-12-2012, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I bought my last three cars via European Delivery. It's the best way yo buy a Bimmer or a Benz.
Yes on the more expensive models the savings from ED more than pays for the trip.
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
I would have liked to custom order my last car, however it seems that timing seems to play a good deal in BMW deal-making.

They had a car on their lot that was built-up by them, shipped to them, and had very low test-ride miles. I put some on, and another guy (happen to know the other guy). I know the climate (no flooding or heavy rain). This plays a big role from me. One time, I had a car brought in (not BMW) and it was in an area that had heavy rain over a couple months period. Mold took root in the car and had heavy concentrations.

So knowing who's been in the car, how it's been stored and treated, and when it came into inventory has been important. I can tell for sure where the car has been and what the climate has been like. I missed a couple options, but as we went through the dealer searches, it quickly showed the car on the lot was appealing. Next time though I do plan on ordering.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
free????? really???? tell me more I did not know this
Old 11-15-2012, 04:49 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
It's total BS to think that you get a better or worse deal one way or another. I've bought 58 vehicles in my life. I've done both and I've also dealt directly with owners and general managers on many of them. I have a close friend who has owned more vehicles than I have and is the best negotiator I've ever met in my life. It's all about your negotiating skills. Obviously, not all dealers will give the same deal at the end of the day regardless or whether they have the car in stock. Many of today's dealers are owned by large companies that own a lot of dealers and they have guidelines they have to follow just like any large company. But again, it's not about whether the car is in stock or not as a general statement.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
You have to be prepared to walk away. If you can, and you know what a deal is, you'll get one. If not, you'll get hosed.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1871 View Post
Yes on the more expensive models the savings from ED more than pays for the trip.
Unless one simply doesn't have the time or wants a model not available for ED, I can't think of a single reason to not go that route. The process was straighforward and if you negotiate well (read the threads on the ED board) your savings will more than pay for the trip (depending on the style in which you travel) meaning you get a car and a free vacation as well as a pretty amazing day at the Welt. Did I mention that the Beer in Munich is delish??
Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
You have to be prepared to walk away. If you can, and you know what a deal is, you'll get one. If not, you'll get hosed.
Exactly. That is why my friend is such a good negotiator. I've watched him walk away from a $100,000 car over $500. It can be painful to watch, but in the end he almost always gets what he wants. Obviously, doing a lot of homework tells you what is achievable if you are willing on walking away.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013' 535i/2011 Jeep GC
I can't get a oil change without leaving with a new ride...lol. I got my arse kicked trading my 328...
but it was worth every cent
Old 11-15-2012, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
That's the beauty about car shopping, you can walk. It's an assembly line item, if you don't buy it today, you can later on. BMWs will always continue to build cars. When you're house shopping, that's different. No two homes are alike...let alone lot location. Real estate is scarce.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport

Last edited by Decboy; 11-15-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 AM
RZ

Mein Auto: 2013 528 Alpine White/Oys
Agree with the comment about being prepared to "walk away." When you do, it always prompts them to call me as I'm half way home. HAHAHAHA!!!! I have found that if I order it just like I want it, I'm more likely to own it longer. If I bought it off the lot, I'm always wishing I had some option that is missing. UGH!!! I'm waiting for my 528 that I ordered just the way I want it. Hope to own it more than two years - yeah right. HAHAHAHA!!!

12/13/12 2013 528i Alpine White, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, Premium Hi-Fi Sound, Heated front Multi-Contour seats

Just Ordered 2/27/13: 2013 328 Conv, Liquid Blue Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Conv Pkg, Premium Pkg, Prem Sound Pkg, Navigation Sys
To Replace our leased 2010 128 Conv, Sports Pkg

Previous BMW: 2013 328 "Trade Assist"
Previous BMW: 2009 328 Convertible
Previous BMW: 2008 535i
Previous BMW: 2007 550i
Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Ordering exactly what you want is the best way. I got $500 over invoice before all the incentives that Bmw had going on at the time.

I find not many dealers in NY stock a lot of cars and chances are you will have to order it anyway.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 11-23-2012, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
question

Guys,

1. when ordering from a dealer for US delivery can you apply incentives (loyalty, financing cash credit)?

2. Incentives are applied to MSRP or Invoice?

Thanks.

Also found on the lot what I like:

2013 535i
Jet Black/Black
Sport package
Premium
Premium sound
Tech package

$61,300 What do you think? order in hopes of a better deal or buy from a lot at that price?

Thank you for your help.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX GT
Take a look at bmwconfig.com to compare "Invoice" with "MSRP". Invoice should be your reference point for negotiations.

$63k looks to me to be about $5k to $6k too high.

I believe most incentives are applied as "Cash Discounts" after the price is negotiated. Strike your price first, then work out the incentives. If the dealer you've found is not amenable to negotiating in that manner, then make contact with one of the board sponsors -- they will treat you fairly, and work to make your transaction easy.

Unless you are in a bind to close up a deal now, my advice is to take the time to find the car that has exactly the features you want in the colors of your choosing. Order if necessary -- the wait isn't that long in the scheme of things, especially for an East Coast delivery.

2010 535i: Deep Sea Blue | Natural Brown | ED: 6-Aug-2009 | 2013 535iX GT: Neptune Blue | Venetian Beige | ED: 31-Aug-2012
Old 11-23-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimiClyde View Post
Take a look at bmwconfig.com to compare "Invoice" with "MSRP". Invoice should be your reference point for negotiations.

$63k looks to me to be about $5k to $6k too high.

I believe most incentives are applied as "Cash Discounts" after the price is negotiated. Strike your price first, then work out the incentives. If the dealer you've found is not amenable to negotiating in that manner, then make contact with one of the board sponsors -- they will treat you fairly, and work to make your transaction easy.

Unless you are in a bind to close up a deal now, my advice is to take the time to find the car that has exactly the features you want in the colors of your choosing. Order if necessary -- the wait isn't that long in the scheme of things, especially for an East Coast delivery.
Great pointers! Thank you!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 PM

Service fee

made an offer to a dealer in Florida:

2013 535i for US delivery. Offer was $500 over invoice.
Their invoice came up to $350 more than bmwconfig.
Also, they want Dealer's service fee to be paid up for car prep on arrival $700. So, I'm over $1,000 where I thought I should be.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by darius7 View Post
made an offer to a dealer in Florida:

2013 535i for US delivery. Offer was $500 over invoice.
Their invoice came up to $350 more than bmwconfig.
Also, they want Dealer's service fee to be paid up for car prep on arrival $700. So, I'm over $1,000 where I thought I should be.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.
It's common for a slight price difference between bmwconfig and the actual dealer invoice due to the varying MACO fee. In your case, $350 difference sounds right.

I responded to your post on another thread here regarding the dealer service fee $700, that's total BS. We never had to pay that when ordering cars from MB or BMW.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport