Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 11-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d (on order)
335D vs Deer

Driving last night and Bambi decided life wasn't worth living and jumped in front of me driving 75mph. Dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree with the warning lights and failure messages. Waiting on insurance to inspect and give me an estimate. Just on my observation with my trusty iPhone flashlight, in addition to cosmetic stuff, need a new condenser, radiator, intercooler, fan, headlights, fog light, and either a power steering pump or coolant pump (pulley was shattered, couldn't tell exactly what the silver pump housing on drivers side is. Anyways, if you are wondering why you heard fu$k echo throughout the US at 9pm last night, it was me

Ps: pic was taken after I pried hood open, will grab some better ones when I reunite on Thurs at the dealer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	349291  
Ads by Google
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Another pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	349294  

Last edited by Austindrvr; 11-12-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 diesels
Sorry to hear that. Hope you are ok. We got deer here as well. . .

Will be interested to hear what the estimate comes in at.

2004 Ram Cummins with lots-o-mods
Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: Citroen DS-21
Ouch. Deer are out of control around here in Maryland.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
I am actually surprised it did not do more damage at that speed. Any idea how big/heavy a Bambi it was?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Wow. A lot of damage; did any airbags pop? You're lucky it didn't come through the window - seen that happen.

FYI, there are over 300K deer (or other large animals) collisions per year in the US. Probably somewhere north of $1B cost per year. They estimate around $3k/collision just in property damage. It's become a really big problem:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications...exec.cfm#sec01
There's a big project on I90 WA State trying to reduce collisions: http://i90wildlifebridges.org/ that's a little more enviro-focused.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 335d M-Sport LCI
The season will start here soon in Michigan as gun season opens on Thur (it is like a national holiday here). I tagged my first one last year in my other car to the tune of almost $7k. Glad my D is parked for the winter.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
I feel your pain. WV is crawling with deer also and I tagged one a couple of years back in my Toyota. It is such a pain to deal with the repair and then you have an accident on the history. Good luck and make them fix it properly. I had to move mine from the first garage after a few days due to them trying to go on the cheap with the repairs. Luckily my insurance agent took my side and wound up taking them off his preferred list.

So far I have engaged the antilock brakes a couple of times in the Bimmer but luckily haven't hit another one yet.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmorgan_260 View Post
I feel your pain. WV is crawling with deer also and I tagged one a couple of years back in my Toyota. It is such a pain to deal with the repair and then you have an accident on the history. Good luck and make them fix it properly. I had to move mine from the first garage after a few days due to them trying to go on the cheap with the repairs. Luckily my insurance agent took my side and wound up taking them off his preferred list.

So far I have engaged the antilock brakes a couple of times in the Bimmer but luckily haven't hit another one yet.
Is your cat declawed? I'd be a little more worried about cat scratch fever and hairballs then deer.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE4SPEED View Post
Is your cat declawed? I'd be a little more worried about cat scratch fever and hairballs then deer.
Yea, he has all his original equipment. Well ... except for being neutered - poor guy
No scratches on the Bimmer however. He leaves the claws in when on the car I guess. Actually I usually keep the car in another bay that has a door so he can't get on it. Never figured out why cats love to get on cars. Seems like they know when you just washed it.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmorgan_260 View Post
Yea, he has all his original equipment. Well ... except for being neutered - poor guy
No scratches on the Bimmer however. He leaves the claws in when on the car I guess. Actually I usually keep the car in another bay that has a door so he can't get on it. Never figured out why cats love to get on cars. Seems like they know when you just washed it.
You can say your car is a pus*y magnet.

Last edited by EYE4SPEED; 11-14-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE4SPEED View Post
You can say your car is a ***** magnet.
Yea, I'll tell my wife that

Old 11-13-2012, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Glad to hear your safe OP.

Keep us updated!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:39 AM

Heard from the adjuster and they are at $14k in damages, plus they need to take it apart to see what else is damaged beyond what is visible. Not close to being totaled, being a diesel and M-sport, they say its "rare" and holds its value better (based on his formulas they are valuing at $34k (2011, 45k miles, pretty loaded). Said the estimate would have to double before he could total it. Thought that was interesting. More to come on Monday, when they do the tear down.

Also, no injuries at all, just scared me and resulted in spilling my beer all over my lap. It was a white tailed fawn, probably around a 100lbs before she met the BMW, average size for these parts, but small compared most other areas.

(just kidding about the beer)
Old 11-15-2012, 08:43 AM

I seem to recall being told the damages have to reach 80% of the value before they will total a car. Not sure if that is right now, can't even remember who told me that but it would line up with what your adjuster told you.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 AM

Yeah, he mentioned 75-80% total value. Depending on what they find in the engine, I may try to negotiate a lower reimbursement value to see if they'd total it. Based on the depreciation this accident's going to cause, it might be worth taking a small loss now versus a potentially larger loss later? On the fence with this idea though, just need to wait until Monday to see what else they find.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 AM

I am am talks with three different dealers right now to try and trade my car in and dealing with the whole diminished value from being in a minor wreck. If I can't come to an agreement very soon then will break down and try to do a private party sell. Mine was nothing like yours though, I just had to have my rear bumper cover replaced but a Carfax ding is a ding none the less. In hindsight I should have gotten a letter of diminished value(if that is the proper term) after my car was repaired and gone to the insurance company of the person that caused the damage and tried to collect the money that my car devalued by due to that Carfax ding. Not sure how that all works out when approaching your own insurance company.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
No joy on diminished value payment from a one car accident that is a "no fault" -- well except for Bambi of course. They will pay for the repair, a rental car (if you have that endorsement) and that is about it. DV? -- Sorry about that. I hope the Fish and Game folks didn't cite you for killing deer out of season. Glad no one in the car was hurt -- that is the main thing really.

Last edited by UncleJ; 11-16-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:53 AM

hah ... isn't it actually deer season right now?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:02 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3/x5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I am am talks with three different dealers right now to try and trade my car in and dealing with the whole diminished value from being in a minor wreck. If I can't come to an agreement very soon then will break down and try to do a private party sell. Mine was nothing like yours though, I just had to have my rear bumper cover replaced but a Carfax ding is a ding none the less. In hindsight I should have gotten a letter of diminished value(if that is the proper term) after my car was repaired and gone to the insurance company of the person that caused the damage and tried to collect the money that my car devalued by due to that Carfax ding. Not sure how that all works out when approaching your own insurance company.
Snipe...so what are you shopping for this time? The better half wants an SUV (as you know) and the holiday deals are tempting me to get an x5.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Snipe...so what are you shopping for this time? The better half wants an SUV (as you know) and the holiday deals are tempting me to get an x5.
Right back to a used C63. Had a local Ford dealer offer me $22k trade in on a 2009 for $43.3k but warranty is up this month, they have hinted they will drop another $2k. A local MBZ dealer offered me $25k on a 2010 that has a year or so warranty left but they want $49.9k and not too hip on this one because has cheap aftermarket wheels that do not fit right in the back and cost of used MBZ wheels puts me into CPO range, I told them they need to go down but not heard back. Another MBZ dealer but in Lousiana is trying to get me $25k for the 335d and has hinted they would take high 40s for a 2010 CPO that they are asking just shy of $51k for, he is supposed to call me today. If those all fall through then I probably will finally list the BMW for $25k and see if it sells private party.

I know of a 2010 E63 getting traded into a MBZ dealer next month and will be CPO'd and had talks with the finance manager there about it. But we are moving in town and just do not need something that big any more.

I have considered perhaps a used 911 but that puts me over what I want to spend right now so been fighting temptations to test drive any of those. Plus rear seat on these is kind of useless even with small kids, so does not really make sense to go this route.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:29 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Right back to a used C63. Had a local Ford dealer offer me $22k trade in on a 2009 for $43.3k but warranty is up this month, they have hinted they will drop another $2k. A local MBZ dealer offered me $25k on a 2010 that has a year or so warranty left but they want $49.9k and not too hip on this one because has cheap aftermarket wheels that do not fit right in the back and cost of used MBZ wheels puts me into CPO range, I told them they need to go down but not heard back. Another MBZ dealer but in Lousiana is trying to get me $25k for the 335d and has hinted they would take high 40s for a 2010 CPO that they are asking just shy of $51k for, he is supposed to call me today. If those all fall through then I probably will finally list the BMW for $25k and see if it sells private party.

I know of a 2010 E63 getting traded into a MBZ dealer next month and will be CPO'd and had talks with the finance manager there about it. But we are moving in town and just do not need something that big any more.

I have considered perhaps a used 911 but that puts me over what I want to spend right now so been fighting temptations to test drive any of those. Plus rear seat on these is kind of useless even with small kids, so does not really make sense to go this route.
Check out this one. The dealer is my neck of the woods. Its looks really nice and they supposedly have a decent reputation.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1 Edit: Not sure this one is a good deal. I just built a new one on mbusa.com and with light options it was 61k MSRP.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 11-16-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Check out this one. The dealer is my neck of the woods. Its looks really nice and they supposedly have a decent reputation.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1 Edit: Not sure this one is a good deal. I just built a new one on mbusa.com and with light options it was 61k MSRP.
Yeah, welcome to my world of aggravation with how a C63 does or does not depreciate. A car with just the leather package and one of the paint colors that costs extra comes in at $66k once you put in gas guzzler and destination charges. You can ED these cars at a 7% discount(before gas guzzler) and no destination charges. I even found an ED guy who said he would do 9%, so brand new car colored how I'd want it comes in around $59k. That of course is without some things many people insist on having like navigation, better radio, xeon headlights and so on. Most used cars were around $70k MSRP due to options. I am not wanting to spend $60k right now though else I'd probably just do the ED.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 AM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Alpine,

I've got a 2006 Volvo XC90 looking to trade in for perhaps the MB GL350 TDI. We really would like more room than the X5 has. Plus they are continuing to make them, a plus IMO.

The prices on the 2012 X5D are certainly attractive, best deal out there that I can see.

I'm pending to refinance my house, hopefully by end of the month, then we'll get serious.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:41 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Yeah, welcome to my world of aggravation with how a C63 does or does not depreciate. A car with just the leather package and one of the paint colors that costs extra comes in at $66k once you put in gas guzzler and destination charges. You can ED these cars at a 7% discount(before gas guzzler) and no destination charges. I even found an ED guy who said he would do 9%, so brand new car colored how I'd want it comes in around $59k. That of course is without some things many people insist on having like navigation, better radio, xeon headlights and so on. Most used cars were around $70k MSRP due to options. I am not wanting to spend $60k right now though else I'd probably just do the ED.
I see. I did not realize the C63 held its value so well. Maybe it is because there are very few of them out there. I personally would not pay 50k for a used C63. I would just get a new one and give up some options. Good luck with your search as I know this is your dream car and you will find the right one with time. Just a thought...the C class is due for a new model next year. Are you sure you want to purchase one now and not wait for the update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Alpine,

I've got a 2006 Volvo XC90 looking to trade in for perhaps the MB GL350 TDI. We really would like more room than the X5 has. Plus they are continuing to make them, a plus IMO.

The prices on the 2012 X5D are certainly attractive, best deal out there that I can see.

I'm pending to refinance my house, hopefully by end of the month, then we'll get serious.
I thought you would like the GL350 TDI. It is a very nice car and we went to look at the 550 version. The wife commented that the GL's seats were not as comfy for her as the ML63 and the x5 with the active vent seat pack. As a result, we are now considering the x5 again due to all of the specials. My biggest hesitation is the negative equity on the 335d. 18k miles and mint condition and it has 5-6k of negative equity. Not sure I am willing to take that loss for a car that still looks and drives like it is brand new. Currently on the fence to see if BMWNA enhances the holiday specials in December. IF an enhancement occurs I might take the plunge.