Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
aFe Throttle Body Spacer on a 650i

I just had mine delivered just to try it (got it cheap off ebay for $120). I am running an aFe CAI and 3x Res delete + x-pipe with magnaflows.

There are no posts here in the 6-Series forum so i figured I would start one.

The manufacturer claims:

"This Silver Bullet throttle body spacer produced 10 hp and 14 lbs. x ft. of torque by creating turbulence in the air flow at the point just prior entry into the engine. Silver Bullet throttle body spacers are constructed out of durable T-6061 billet aluminum and using a unique serrated/helix entry to create turbulence at the manifold while eliminating the annoying whistle found in other helix only throttle spacers"

Based on the limited info I can find on the aFe and smiler spacers from research... It seems there are mixed review on this. Many people feel they are a total waste on turbo cars, but since we are running a NA v8 i figured i would give it a shot... Even if the only gain I see is a few MPG im ok with that...

It also seems crazy/bold that the manufacturer claims 10 hp and 14 lbs. x ft Tq... with a dyno chart attached... lol That would be a huge gain for such a cheap part. How could they get away with such bold false advertising if untrue?

Anyhow, Im going to install it tomorrow and post my feedback.. Thoughts? Snake oil? Has anyone tried one on a 6?
Ads by Google
Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
I did it couple of days ago. The throttle body + CAi. I have magnaflow xpipe and all resonators deleted. To be honest with both aFe CAI and throttle body, It's not a significant improvement that you can feel. My car has exactly same setup with what your planning. It sounds crazily deep when you hit the floor but at cruising speed you won't notice much. I'm searching for a good deal on M6 eisenmann. However, the throttle body, in my opinion create a weird effect when the car down shift. I'm not sure since I'm not car professional, but whenever the automatic down shift, the car feels like someone kick its butt. LOL
Old 11-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI
How do you like the AFE CAI? Noticeable gains? How does it sound, noticeable? That was going to be my next mod, after I install my exhaust

2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels
Old 11-16-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
I did it couple of days ago. The throttle body + CAi. I have magnaflow xpipe and all resonators deleted. To be honest with both aFe CAI and throttle body, It's not a significant improvement that you can feel. My car has exactly same setup with what your planning. It sounds crazily deep when you hit the floor but at cruising speed you won't notice much. I'm searching for a good deal on M6 eisenmann. However, the throttle body, in my opinion create a weird effect when the car down shift. I'm not sure since I'm not car professional, but whenever the automatic down shift, the car feels like someone kick its butt. LOL
Hmm... I guess I'll just install it and see what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco2000 View Post
How do you like the AFE CAI? Noticeable gains? How does it sound, noticeable? That was going to be my next mod, after I install my exhaust
Definitely a sound and throttle response improvement over stock even with stock exhaust.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: bmw e63
Waiting for the pics....
Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

This is mine setup with throttle body undercover.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW M
I had the same setup from Dinan on my M Roadster, plus stage 2 software. Really did not feel that much different or at all. You should at least consider software tuned to the changes to help the ecu know what happened.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Still waiting for Riddler feedback.

2009 BMW 650i Cabrio (daily drive)
2011 Audi A4 (groceries, bully, road trip, winter beater, family car)

BMW CCA ID: 473647
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
Still waiting for Riddler feedback.
Feedback = I think it did something =]

I'm going to leave it on. If anything, I have noticed a slight gas savings.