Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-15-2012, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6 Tisilver/gray
Spare tire replacement

guys, I have the 'space saver' black steel wheel as a spare in my '05 ZHP convertible. Does anyone know if a full size front wheel & tire will fit in place of the ugly space saver? My fronts are 225/40/18. Looks like it should fit but will have to relocate the tool kit I think.
Has anyone done this?

BMW CCA #132981 Tarheel Chapter,
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
My 325Ci came with a full size spare. Even though it's on a 17" wheel, since the outer diameter of the tire should be the same (you have lower profile tires), your front wheel/tire should fit. Might I suggest you simply take off one of your fronts and see if it fits in the well? Simple, emperical proof.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 PM

I did what you suggested and tried the front wheel in the space. it fit at the dia but would not allow the truck carpet to lay flat. Soooo, I flipped the carpet and guess what? It works that way. Carpet looks weired but it's always covered with my windscreen & other stuff. It does reduce the cargo height but is a possible solution, for me anyway. I hate the idea of running that stupid temp spare at 50MPH & then have to find a service station to fix the tire (if it's fixable). At least with full size spare you could drive home, even if it were narrower in the rear

Old 11-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
I've had enough experience over the years with donut spares (one car put about 1000 miles on its spare over its life due to many flats and a very long commute) to not worry about going a bit faster than the rated speed for a lot longer than the rated distance. The extra space below is nice for jumper cables and winter emergency supplies.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 11-15-2012, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
Now you can buy the optional round tray that nests inside the spare tire wheel. Great place to store jumper cables, tow straps, etc.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: Touring and others
First, your full size spare goes in upside down, then the tool or spares caddy goes into the wheel, then the hold down keeps it all together. When it is correctly installed, the carpet will fit correctly and all will be good.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbuilder View Post
First, your full size spare goes in upside down, then the tool or spares caddy goes into the wheel, then the hold down keeps it all together. When it is correctly installed, the carpet will fit correctly and all will be good.
@ stickbuilder......yes, I am aware of this. However, on the ZHP 18" wheels, the wheel "spokes" stick out further than the tire rubber does, which would probably damage the wheel finish if installed that way, that's why I put it in up right. And when I flip the carpet insert up side down, the area on it that was recessed is now standing up for clearance from hitting the wheel when inserted this way. I would/will have to add some rubber 'stand offs' at the bottom of the wheel trunk recess that hit the rubber part of the tire (which BTW is narrow on the 40 profile) to keep the wheel off the bottom of the recess in order to do what you suggest. I'll then have to see if the carpet will still clear the new height of the wheel/tire.

Not sure why BMW designed the style 135 wheels that way but it is what it is. These are the obstacles I have found for adding a full size spare, besides the cost of the #135 wheel. Anyone know of a 'cheap' source for these wheels?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav31 View Post
Anyone know of a 'cheap' source for these wheels?
Never heard "cheap" about something that fits BMW, but sometimes there can be good deals...

(me lucky bastard just ordered H&R -35mm front springs under 120$, many more parts to go)
Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
Never heard "cheap" about something that fits BMW, but sometimes there can be good deals...

(me lucky bastard just ordered H&R -35mm front springs under 120$, many more parts to go)
@ lgr122.....you're right, I should of said "bargin or good deal". You know of any "bargin or good deals on #135 wheels. BMW doesn't at $400+ each MSRP. Crazy.....

Old 11-17-2012, 02:42 AM

Mein Auto: Touring and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav31 View Post
@ stickbuilder......yes, I am aware of this. However, on the ZHP 18" wheels, the wheel "spokes" stick out further than the tire rubber does, which would probably damage the wheel finish if installed that way, that's why I put it in up right. And when I flip the carpet insert up side down, the area on it that was recessed is now standing up for clearance from hitting the wheel when inserted this way. I would/will have to add some rubber 'stand offs' at the bottom of the wheel trunk recess that hit the rubber part of the tire (which BTW is narrow on the 40 profile) to keep the wheel off the bottom of the recess in order to do what you suggest. I'll then have to see if the carpet will still clear the new height of the wheel/tire.

Not sure why BMW designed the style 135 wheels that way but it is what it is. These are the obstacles I have found for adding a full size spare, besides the cost of the #135 wheel. Anyone know of a 'cheap' source for these wheels?
Don't ZHP cars only come with the temporary spare, or with the Run Flat tires for this very reason. I'd be in favor of a different wheel package, but to each his own.