Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: x3,x5
Navigation and Voice Command Volume problems

So I've searched and read a lot of threads to see if anyone has this issue, but the solutions haven't seemed to work for me. So I'll post the question and see if anyone else had/has a similar issue.

Voice Command - it's functional, the icon appears on the display, it mutes the radio to listen, it responds/does what I ask. However, there are no audio tones/speech. Of course, I've already tired to adjust the volume with the knob when I think she's talking, but i still can't hear anything.

Navigation - Same story. Navigation works, it displays correctly, it's in the HUD, etc. However, it will not speak any instruction. I've also attempted to adjust the volume when I know the nav person should be speaking (as the radio is muted to obviously provide an instruction).

I've double checked, the navigation instructions are not muted. I've attempted to raise the volume while it should be speaking (assuming it's just to low to hear), but I still can't get any audio output on those 2 functions.

Any ideas?
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
You need to read your manual and learn to use use idrive. When you are on the Nav screen, use the Idrive control knob to scroll up to the voice command icon. I believe it is the top one or 2nd one from the top (has a person talking on it). Once it is highlighted, push in the idrive selector and a check mark will show up. Voice command is now active.

Read your manual if you want to learn how to do the other volume settings in Idrive, but it is all there. Hope that helps.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post
You need to read your manual and learn to use use idrive. When you are on the Nav screen, use the Idrive control knob to scroll up to the voice command icon. I believe it is the top one or 2nd one from the top (has a person talking on it). Once it is highlighted, push in the idrive selector and a check mark will show up. Voice command is now active.

Read your manual if you want to learn how to do the other volume settings in Idrive, but it is all there. Hope that helps.

Sorry, I thought I made it clear in the original post that I had read the manual AND searched the forum trying various volume knob/unmute solutions already. In fact, I've read the manual cover to cover and cannot solve this problem.

Can you explain, what is the correlation between voice command prompts not audibly working as well as navigation directions not being spoken?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:01 PM

I also don't have an audio tone on the PDC, just the functional visual screen. When I read about changing the PDC volume control, it references vehicles with single drives having a PDC volume setting. I'm assuming I have multiple drives because I don't have that PDC volume adjustment in the location the manual identifies.

Anyone know is this is all related?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i M-Sport PP, 135i
The only thing I can think of is to try to do a reset. On page 185 of the 2013 manual (downloaded) it says to select; Settings, Tone, then Reset. I'm gonna go look at my truck if this is actually there.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i M-Sport PP, 135i
The above only reset my bass, treble, EQ, etc settings on mine.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerandBimmer View Post
The only thing I can think of is to try to do a reset. On page 185 of the 2013 manual (downloaded) it says to select; Settings, Tone, then Reset. I'm gonna go look at my truck if this is actually there.
Thanks, I looked, I don't have a 'tone' menu option
Old 11-17-2012, 05:24 AM

I uncovered a touch more inforomation last evening. This audio issue seems to have started when the 'address book delete' function was executed in idrive.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 AM

So for anyone who's interested it seems as though my amplifier has died. At least, The diagnostics at the BMW dealership has concluded such. If you find similar symptoms, you might be unfortunately in the same situation.

I will change out the amplifier and then update this post in case anyone else ever experiences a similar problem and is looking for answers.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM

Actually, short update. This was miss-diagnosed and turned out to be a failure in the central communication computer.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkinfo View Post
e central communication computer.
It would be helpful to post the actual BMW name of the part (not what the SA decides to call it) and/or the BMW part number.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
It would be helpful to post the actual BMW name of the part (not what the SA decides to call it) and/or the BMW part number.
That is the part name, the CCC module. Sorry, stands for car communication computer (BMW name).

The part number is very hard to make out in this invoice (its not listed in the space its supposed to be). my best guess from the text is part number 65-83-9-165-855 AT CCC:658319

Hope that helps. Bottom line, some audio output issues are not caused by the amplifier, but rather the CCC module.