Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 328 xi
Driving modes

What's your guys opinion on changing driving modes while driving. For example ... Driving in Eco pro then up to sport to pass a car then back down to Eco pro. You can def feel the car respond to the change of ratio.

Any thoughts about added stress on the motor?
Ads by Google
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF16 View Post
What's your guys opinion on changing driving modes while driving. For example ... Driving in Eco pro then up to sport to pass a car then back down to Eco pro. You can def feel the car respond to the change of ratio.

Any thoughts about added stress on the motor?
Stress on the motor? All you are doing is changing the parameters in which the engine/trans function under. In sport it seems like the car aims to keep steady state RPMs around 2k for instant torque when called for. Don't see how this will damage things.

I also rarely switch to sport mode when passing someone. I tend to sometimes be in a "sport mode" mood and then switch to it. Just pushing down on the gas in all modes summons more than enough power
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 328 xi
I mean I figured as much. Just wanted to get some opinions, I like to pass people quick lol so I throw it in sport mode
Old 11-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
I usually switch to Eco Pro after I pull onto the interstate and get into my lane, moving with the flow of traffic, then switch to eco pro. Once I'm off the highway I'm back in comfort or sport depending on my mood.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
I usually switch to Eco Pro after I pull onto the interstate and get into my lane, moving with the flow of traffic, then switch to eco pro. Once I'm off the highway I'm back in comfort or sport depending on my mood.
+1

I don't think there is any additional stress on the engine when switching driving modes.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
I spend most of the time in comfort, and switch to sport when i feel the desire to Torque out. I don't use sport+ much, what's the difference other then turning off DCT? I only use Eco-Pro when I'm not in a hurry, or am looking to hold off going to get gas and want to squeeze a few extra miles out of what's left in the tank.

BMWCCA #471315
Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
I'm in comfort mode for city driving (softer suspension and throttle)and switch to sport immediately on the highway. I have DHP so my sport mode is set for stiffer chassis only which i like better for higher speed driving. If I'm going to drive aggressively I switch to sport + with the better throttle but that's only occasional. Eco pro only for highway driving and only if I'm going to be cruising for an extended period of time or if I'm low on fuel and need to stretch the range a bit.

Switching modes will put no extra strain on your car unless you drive like a maniac every time you switch to sport +

If you don't have DHP with m adaptive, the only difference between sport and sport + is the dynamic traction control setting DSC. If you have DHP you Can Configure the sport setting to be stiffer chassis only, quicker throttle and DSC only, or both (like sport+).

Last edited by Jokerswld34; 11-16-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport (via ED)
I do that all the time- switch into sport mode to accelerate quickly as needed. I sure hope it doesn't damage the motor, but from my understanding of the mechanics, it doesn't actually cause any mechanical part to run rougher or harder, just a quicker response.
2012 328i Sport line (European Delivery), Imperial Blue Metallic + Everest Grey/Black/Aluminum interior; Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Parking Pkg w/ Parking Asst., Xenon headlights, BMW Asst & Apps, Variable Steering, M-Suspension, Sport Transmission