Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: USA
2013 335xi Tire & Rim insurance - CNA vs BMW

Hi all,

Has anyone had experience with CNA tire insurance? This is what dealer quoted:

BMW insurance 3 years w/o cosmetic $1049 and $50 deductible
CNA insurance 3 years w/o cosmetic $849 and $0 deductible
CNA insurance 3 years w/ cosmetic $1149 and $0 deductilbe

Looks that CNA is a better deal. I'm wondering if there's a catch. Anyone can share your experience with CNA? Any information would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2012, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: '02 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotdeck View Post
Hi all,

Looks that CNA is a better deal. I'm wondering if there's a catch. Anyone can share your experience with CNA? Any information would be appreciated.

What is with this obsession with tire / wheel insurance? If you enjoy flushing multiple hundred dollar bills down the toilet, then buying tire insurance may be a good new hobby for you. For everyone else, just stay away from it, FAR away.

See my semi-rant here for more details:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=74
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post
What is with this obsession with tire / wheel insurance? If you enjoy flushing multiple hundred dollar bills down the toilet, then buying tire insurance may be a good new hobby for you. For everyone else, just stay away from it, FAR away.

See my semi-rant here for more details:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=74
Lighten up,where is the obsession? He just wants to know if anyone has any "experience with CNA tire and wheel insurance"..
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats

Last edited by vern; 11-13-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Lighten up,where is the obsession? He just wants to know if anyone has any "experience with CNA tire and wheel insurance"..
cheers
vern
He's not referring to this OP having an obsession. He's referring to tire insurance in general.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-14-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
cheers
vern
It appears dealers have an obsession with pushing this "insurance" (and i use that term lightly), which makes sense for them as it makes them LOTS of money. If they make lots of money the poor consumer is losing lots of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
He's not referring to this OP having an obsession. He referring to tire insurance in general.
Exactly right. People can buy what they want of course, but not everyone is knowledgeable enough to see through the marketing claims and the dealer's sales tactics.

This "insurance" just rubs me the wrong way as in most cases it's a particularly galling money-grab, so I try to bring a bit of understanding to the topic, in the hopes that folks can then make a more educated decision.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Tire insurance has always paid for itself for me. ALWAYS
Old 11-14-2012, 10:48 AM

May I ask if you drive aggressively, or you live in an area with more bad roads? I live in Boston area, but I don't think I'm an aggressive driver. My last tires lasted >50K miles before I had to change them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Old 11-14-2012, 10:50 AM

Appreciate your input, EnerJi. Now I want to evaluate my risk and benefit more carefully.

Quote:
It appears dealers have an obsession with pushing this "insurance" (and i use that term lightly), which makes sense for them as it makes them LOTS of money. If they make lots of money the poor consumer is losing lots of money.

Exactly right. People can buy what they want of course, but not everyone is knowledgeable enough to see through the marketing claims and the dealer's sales tactics.

This "insurance" just rubs me the wrong way as in most cases it's a particularly galling money-grab, so I try to bring a bit of understanding to the topic, in the hopes that folks can then make a more educated decision.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Appreciate your input, EnerJi. Now I want to evaluate my risk and benefit more carefully.
Wheel and tire size make a significant difference. Bigger wheels are more susceptible to damage. Tires with more narrow sidewalls are more susceptible to damage. Put the two together and....

A 255/35 19" tire and wheel combo is significantly more susceptible than a 225/45 17" tire and wheel combo.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: F30335XDRIVE
Quote:
Hi all,

I have a 2013 335X DRIVE M SPORT 18" all season tires.
Discount Tires charged me $197 for tire insurance which covers all 4 tires, free (new tire) replacement with same tire, free TMPS, free balancing, free repair, free rotation up to 50,000 miles ==> no deductible, no questions ask.
The insurance is good at any discount tires location nation wide.

Last edited by kqf30; 11-14-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: ADDITIONAl comments
Old 11-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
May I ask if you drive aggressively, or you live in an area with more bad roads? I live in Boston area, but I don't think I'm an aggressive driver. My last tires lasted >50K miles before I had to change them.
I live in an area with a lot of nails
Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kqf30 View Post
Discount Tires charged me $197 for tire insurance which covers all 4 tires, free (new tire) replacement with same tire, free TMPS, free balancing, free repair, free rotation up to 50,000 miles ==> no deductible, no questions ask.
And they sell this coverage separately from a set of tires purchased from them, right? Available for any set of tires, to anyone, right?

This is something I've just learned about. A really exceptional deal.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: F30335XDRIVE
Quote:
And they sell this coverage separately from a set of tires purchased from them, right? Available for any set of tires, to anyone, right?

This is something I've just learned about. A really exceptional deal.
Yes for any set of " new tires", as the guy told me.

I was in there for a free 10-minute tire pressure check in my girfriend's car and she already had 8000 miles on her new (Japanese) car. We ended up paying $69 insurance for hers and $197 for mine. I have been a customer there for years and never had any service problems with them.

Any Discount Tires location offers free rotation / repair but if you dont have this insurance, they will charge for rebalancing and/or TMPS but all is covered with this insurance.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM

Apparently that's the only reason your insurance always paid for itself!

On a serious note, do you drive aggressively? Which metropolitan area do you drive in if you don't mind sharing?

Quote:
I live in an area with a lot of nails
Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM

This sounds like a fantastic deal. But there's no discount tires location close to me.

Do you happen to know such places in MA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kqf30 View Post
Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Wheel and tire size make a significant difference. Bigger wheels are more susceptible to damage. Tires with more narrow sidewalls are more susceptible to damage. Put the two together and....

A 255/35 19" tire and wheel combo is significantly more susceptible than a 225/45 17" tire and wheel combo.
True, but keep in mind those factors should be priced into the cost of the coverage itself.

By the way, I didn't directly address it in my posts, but for folks who are willing to "accidentally" drive over some nails they may feel like they get their money's worth from this type of coverage. A few points on this situation specifically:

1) Not trying to pass judgement, but technically this is insurance fraud. State laws vary, but could be considered a felony, despite the relatively small amounts in question. It's not likely to be prosecuted, but as a BMW owner you're probably doing fairly well in life and have a lot to lose - do you want to take that risk? Do you want to be known as a fraud and a liar?

2) It's going to be particularly suspicious if you suddenly have all four tires get nails in them at once. Are you willing to lie so boldly? If requested, are you willing to sign an affidavit (equivalent to taking an oath in a court room) swearing that those nails were an accident?

3) Your time is valuable. Claiming insurance can be a hassle. If you try to mitigate #2 by having only two wheels get punctured at a time, then double that time and hassle factor. Dealer-sold tire insurance is (usually) very expensive. Is the extra time and hassle really worth it to you just to save a few $? (The $ you "might save is simply the difference between the cost of a replacement tire on a discount site like Tirerack.com and the cost of the insurance. In many cases, there is a negligible $ savings.)

TL;DR:
Only folks willing to lie / commit fraud are likely to get value out of dealer-sold tire insurance. If that doesn't describe you, then consider other options, such as self-insuring.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
^^ I'm sure thats a major factor in the price of the insurance.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
True, but keep in mind those factors should be priced into the cost of the coverage itself.

By the way, I didn't directly address it in my posts, but for folks who are willing to "accidentally" drive over some nails they may feel like they get their money's worth from this type of coverage. A few points on this situation specifically:

1) Not trying to pass judgement, but technically this is insurance fraud. State laws vary, but could be considered a felony, despite the relatively small amounts in question. It's not likely to be prosecuted, but as a BMW owner you're probably doing fairly well in life and have a lot to lose - do you want to take that risk? Do you want to be known as a fraud and a liar?

2) It's going to be particularly suspicious if you suddenly have all four tires get nails in them at once. Are you willing to lie so boldly? If requested, are you willing to sign an affidavit (equivalent to taking an oath in a court room) swearing that those nails were an accident?

3) Your time is valuable. Claiming insurance can be a hassle. If you try to mitigate #2 by having only two wheels get punctured at a time, then double that time and hassle factor. Dealer-sold tire insurance is (usually) very expensive. Is the extra time and hassle really worth it to you just to save a few $? (The $ you "might save is simply the difference between the cost of a replacement tire on a discount site like Tirerack.com and the cost of the insurance. In many cases, there is a negligible $ savings.)

TL;DR:
Only folks willing to lie / commit fraud are likely to get value out of dealer-sold tire insurance. If that doesn't describe you, then consider other options, such as self-insuring.
Get off your soap box. We're all big boys here.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 11-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Unless you have a friendly service rep that will look the other way when your tires are worn and you happen to have a nail in all 4, tire insurance is the biggest waste of money.

If you don't have someone who will help you cheat the system, its not worth it, stay away.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 05-21-2014, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 528 xDrive
I was quoted $1605 plus tax for tire and wheel plus package which includes cosmetic for 5 years $1206 with out cosmetic and for 4 years 1134 w/o cosmetic and 1480 with. My BMW dealer will not sell tier and wheel insurance after the purchase date of the car so I have to use CNA. I just replaced a 20 " wheel with only 750 miles on it for $520. I am buying the insurance with all the potholes in the greater Philly area.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Porleau

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 335ix M-Sport
Quote:
I'm on my third 335i since '07 and I have replaced 1 tire in that time. On my latest 3'er, I was offered the BMW plan for 3 years @ $1395. Assuming this was the same deal for my other 2, I'm looking at a total of almost $4200. For one tire that cost around $325. The 'insurance' I did buy was a dedicated winter setup for $1,200. I get my summer-only's off the road for 90-100 days per year (during pot hole season), and add a whole lot of winter capability over the lifetime of 2 BMWs. Money well spent.

PS: I live in downtown Boston. Crappy roads.

2014 F30 Mineral Gray| Coral Red Dakota | xDrive | M-Sport | MPPK | 2TB | ZCW| ZPP | ZTP | ZD2 | ZDH | Z4A | 5DP | 5DL |HK Stereo |

Gone, but not forgotten:
11 BMW 335xi e90
08 BMW 335i e90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI

Last edited by ctorrey; 05-21-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Quote:
It's a matter of assessing your risk and your aversion to risk. From my pool of information involving my car and those that I have fairly complete knowlege,

car 1: 5 months so far, unrepairable tire on two occasions.

car 2: 6 years. Unrepairable tire once, cosmetic rash once, one flat fixed

car 3: 8 years. One unrepairable tire that needed to be replaced soon, minor cosmetic rash x 1

car 4: 1 year. Nothing

car 5: 4 years. One wheel bent. Could be fixed but maybe nowadays can't? One flat fixed.

car 6: 13 years. Nothing

car 7: 2 years. Nothing.

Total data combined: 34.5 years
Unrepairable tires: 3
Wheel fixed but might not be repairable these days: 1 wheel
Flat fixed: 2
Cosmetic rash: 2 wheels, could be as many as 6 because I don't know about car #1.

Assumption of costs: tire $250, tire repaired $25, wheel $400, cosmetic rash fixed $150
Maximum cost over 34.5 years: 750+250+50+400=1450, +900 for cosmetic=2350

Since insurance costs roughly $1000 for 3 years ($849-1149), it would be $10,000 for 30 car-years. My figures are $1450 (not counting cosmetic) and 2350 of damage (including cosmetic damage) over 34.5 car years. Car #1 has the closest costs, with approx. $500 used up so far with 2.5 years to go. Only car #1 has coverage.

On the other hand, I like having a full sized RUNFLAT (!) spare tire. I don't carry it when driving within the city or suburbs.

As far as the tire's profile, all of these cars were 45-55, with the exception of car 6 (60) and car 7 (65).

Last edited by Dave 20T; 05-21-2014 at 03:16 PM.