Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport iDrive 8s
help, advise, photo replacing reflectors with body colour inserts

I've dedicated Sat morning to replacing reflectors with body colour inserts, and while Bimmian provides generic instructions, I haven't seen anything specific to the F30 (328ix). Any help, advise or photo tuitorials (or horror stories) from experienced members would be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2012, 06:04 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i

I bought mine from IND, perfect match, great quality as they're OEM BMW reflectors painted with OEM BMW paint codes.

I took mine to a local BMW mod shop who charges $100 an hour. Cost me $35 and I was out of there in 20 minutes. No need to attempt this yourself, just take it to the pros and get a cup of coffee while you wait. There are special polyester tools involved to gently pry up the existing reflectors, can't just do it by hand or use a metal tool.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 11-15-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 PM

Appreciate the advice, but always dubious about taking anything non-OEM to dealers. Actually, even OEM installs are over priced. I ordered BMW carbon fiber spoiler with car, but it didn't arrive until 2 months after promised. The "pros" tried to tell me it was a 4 hour job. I went to dealer principle and complained, so he agreed to comp. install. I watched from outside and it took less than 15 min. from wash down, to alcohol, to 2 technicians carefully fitting it. I actually felt like a moron even letting these pimple faced high school kids / technicians do it.

In any case, I'd rather do this myself rather than wait for appointment and pay for 2 hours of labour (~$250+ tax) - the estimate they gave me!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada1867 View Post

Appreciate the advice, but always dubious about taking anything non-OEM to dealers.

In any case, I'd rather do this myself rather than wait for appointment and pay for 2 hours of labour (~$250+ tax) - the estimate they gave me!
You're misunderstanding me.

I took my car to a BMW "mod" shop, you know, an enthusiasts place where non-BMW personnel do this 24/7 for a living.

They charge $100 an hour and I paid $35 because it was a 25 minute job.

These are the guys I used down here in NJ; I'm sure you've got a similar place up there:

http://autocouturemotoring.com/acm/

Even though I went in for a pretty silly mod, they were extremely helpful and did a great job in a short amount of time, taught me a thing or two about my F30 and might help me take care of that body roll in the Spring.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 11-16-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 PM

Gotcha. Don't know of one in the Greater Toronto Area, but would love to find one with a good rep and fair prices...though likely for more serious performance upgrades such as "chipping" or other engine or suspension mods.
I'd still like to do this little mod myself, but was hoping to leverage someone else's experience to make it smoother. Doing anything the first time is alway tougher.
Thx
Old 11-16-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada1867 View Post
Gotcha. Don't know of one in the Greater Toronto Area, but would love to find one with a good rep and fair prices...though likely for more serious performance upgrades such as "chipping" or other engine or suspension mods.
I'd still like to do this little mod myself, but was hoping to leverage someone else's experience to make it smoother. Doing anything the first time is alway tougher.
Thx

There are generally two types of painted reflectors:

1. Pop-in (they go in from the front, stick up, protrude from the body).

2. Pop-out (they go in from the back, flush to the body).

Not sure which ones you bought.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 11-16-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
They charge $100 an hour and I paid $35 because it was a 25 minute job.
Does not compute.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:

BJ
The F30's are the more difficult one's - glued in from behind. The ones in the picture are the pop-out ones on earlier models. Lots of tips on these easy and older models, but not for F30 328ix (i don't know if 335 or non-x mattters - doubt it). But thx.
I guess if no one's done it before, I'll be the crash-test dummy and document the task
Old 11-17-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:

BJ
BTW thanks for the video - a very nice pair of reflectors on Kristian's... um, car...