Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3
1997 Z3 - 1.9L - man. trans & rear fluid change ?

My stated car is approaching 90k. Thought it would be a good idea to replace the manual trans and real diff. fluid (not sure if it has been replaced before). Called the dealer to get an estimate. They stated they do not perform this service and to call a local transmission service co.!!! So, should I tackle this myself? Not sure of the type of fluids to use. I assumed the dealer could do this and would install the recommended fluid.
Ads by Google
Old 05-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
Try to find an independent shop that works on BMW's They would be the best to use if you are not familiar, and the dealership does not do it. A good indy would do this in a heartbeat.
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Still Cruisin'

Mein Auto: 2003 325xi, 2001 Z3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotechslack View Post
My stated car is approaching 90k. Thought it would be a good idea to replace the manual trans and real diff. fluid (not sure if it has been replaced before). Called the dealer to get an estimate. They stated they do not perform this service and to call a local transmission service co.!!! So, should I tackle this myself? Not sure of the type of fluids to use. I assumed the dealer could do this and would install the recommended fluid.
They won't even do it at 90k?

Smolck on the E46 forum is right. Dealers are teh suck.

You can do this job yourself, as long as you know how to safely jack up and support a car (meaning you need 4 jack stands). The transmission uses plugs you can put a socket on, but the differential uses plugs that need a fairly sizable hex socket. And you might have to modify it. At least, this is what I have on my 2001.

If you tackle it, make sure you always remove the fill plug first. Nothing worse than removing the drain plug, only to find the fill plug seized.

For fluids, I'd go with Red Line MTL for the tranny and Redline 75W90 gear oil for the differential. You'll need a fluid pump to get the fluids in. Make sure the car is level, add fluid until it spills out the fill hole, plug it up, done. Each of the fills takes a bit over a liter, IIRC. Get a couple of liters each to be sure you have enough.

And don't go back to whatever dealer you went to.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bten View Post
Try to find an independent shop that works on BMW's They would be the best to use if you are not familiar, and the dealership does not do it. A good indy would do this in a heartbeat.
Will do. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

You can do this job yourself, as long as you know how to safely jack up and support a car (meaning you need 4 jack stands). The transmission uses plugs you can put a socket on, but the differential uses plugs that need a fairly sizable hex socket. And you might have to modify it. At least, this is what I have on my 2001.

If you tackle it, make sure you always remove the fill plug first. Nothing worse than removing the drain plug, only to find the fill plug seized.

For fluids, I'd go with Red Line MTL for the tranny and Redline 75W90 gear oil for the differential. You'll need a fluid pump to get the fluids in. Make sure the car is level, add fluid until it spills out the fill hole, plug it up, done. Each of the fills takes a bit over a liter, IIRC. Get a couple of liters each to be sure you have enough.

Good info. Thanks. So, you think it is a good time to do this? Of course I read that my manual tranny may have the lifetime fluid in it and not to bother changing it (I don't buy that). Is the Redline products you indicated, synthetic? I assume a synthetic fluid type is in there currently? I may try to look for an independent on this one. If I don't have any luck, I'll try it myself. I do have some jack stands; they are just not very "big." I guess they would still work if I placed them under and on the jack access points, huh? I do have a level garage. Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Still Cruisin'

Quote:
Good info. Thanks. So, you think it is a good time to do this? Of course I read that my manual tranny may have the lifetime fluid in it and not to bother changing it (I don't buy that). Is the Redline products you indicated, synthetic? I assume a synthetic fluid type is in there currently? I may try to look for an independent on this one. If I don't have any luck, I'll try it myself. I do have some jack stands; they are just not very "big." I guess they would still work if I placed them under and on the jack access points, huh? I do have a level garage. Thanks again.

Well, actually, if you followed the old school BMW maintenance schedule when they actually maintained cars, you would have done it at 1200 miles, then every 30k.

So yes, I think you should do it today, if you can.

I wouldn't climb beneath the car unless each of your jackstands has a 3000 pound capacity. I myself use 6k pound jackstands. Your life is worth more than what it costs to buy good stands.

Red Line products are all synthetic, yes. I would bet you notice an immediate improvement in your shifting when you change the fluids.

If you don't have time, find a good indie, and use good synthetics. I believe in Red Line, but Royal Purple makes good stuff too.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Well, actually, if you followed the old school BMW maintenance schedule when they actually maintained cars, you would have done it at 1200 miles, then every 30k.

So yes, I think you should do it today, if you can.

I wouldn't climb beneath the car unless each of your jackstands has a 3000 pound capacity. I myself use 6k pound jackstands. Your life is worth more than what it costs to buy good stands.

Red Line products are all synthetic, yes. I would bet you notice an immediate improvement in your shifting when you change the fluids.

If you don't have time, find a good indie, and use good synthetics. I believe in Red Line, but Royal Purple makes good stuff too.
Great stuff. Thanks. I have tried to find Red Line products locally and have no luck. Any suggestions where I can find the fluids I need for this job? Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:

Hey Doc, one last question, on the Redline site, they state the following, "from 1993 on, we recommend D4 ATF (yes, ATF in a manual transmission). The only late-model exception is the 2006 Xi trans, which takes D6 ATF." The apparently recommend this over the MTL. What do you think? Thanks.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Still Cruisin'

Quote:
Hey Doc, one last question, on the Redline site, they state the following, "from 1993 on, we recommend D4 ATF (yes, ATF in a manual transmission). The only late-model exception is the 2006 Xi trans, which takes D6 ATF." The apparently recommend this over the MTL. What do you think? Thanks.
I've seen that too. I'm following the recomendations of my guy at Bavarian Autosports, and the recommendations of Mike Miller of Bimmer magazine, in using the MTL. I think their feeling is that the MTL is better long term than the D4.

On finding the stuff, you can buy it online at many places. BavAuto sells it, PelicanParts probably does, you can even buy it direct from Red Line. Google it and you'll find a distributor.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I've seen that too. I'm following the recomendations of my guy at Bavarian Autosports, and the recommendations of Mike Miller of Bimmer magazine, in using the MTL. I think their feeling is that the MTL is better long term than the D4.

On finding the stuff, you can buy it online at many places. BavAuto sells it, PelicanParts probably does, you can even buy it direct from Red Line. Google it and you'll find a distributor.
Super. Thanks again Doc!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:44 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
I am totally off Redline for my cars.

One of the top E36 M3 autocrossers dropped his diff temp by 20 degrees switching to Mobil 1 from Redline. And having had Redline in my cars, it comes out looking very nasty.

I run BMW LTF2 in the tranny and Mobil 1 in the diff on the Roadster and LTW. Castrol fluid from teh dealer inthe E46 diff.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 05-17-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

One of the top E36 M3 autocrossers dropped his diff temp by 20 degrees switching to Mobil 1 from Redline. And having had Redline in my cars, it comes out looking very nasty.

I run BMW LTF2 in the tranny and Mobil 1 in the diff on the Roadster and LTW. Castrol fluid from teh dealer inthe E46 diff.
Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks. Anyone else? I'm about to change the tranny and diff out.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

BTW, what type of Mobil 1 are you using in the diff?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW z3
Bump, Good forum. I want to change my fluids for my tranny and diff also but im not sure what fluids i need. i have Autozone oreily and walmart im not willing to order online, any suggestions?
Old 01-20-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrparker View Post
Bump, Good forum. I want to change my fluids for my tranny and diff also but im not sure what fluids i need. i have Autozone oreily and walmart im not willing to order online, any suggestions?
I was going to go with Redline and do the project myself, but decided to have a local Euro mechanic shop do it, who uses Royal Purple. I put the following in my '97 Z3 1.9L Manual: Royal Purple Synchromax Manual Transmission and Royal Purple Max Gear 75w140 Gear Oil. Everything seems to be just fine and that was over a year ago.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
2001 Roady 3.0
I use Amsoil in both my Tranny & Diff.
For the 1.9, there is no Limited Slip Diff, unless the car was modified.
So The recommended Amsoil oil is MTF 5W-30 for the Manual Transmission and 75W=30 for the Diff.
Just my 2Cents.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 AM
BE IRIE

Mein Auto: 1996 Z3 1.9L M44
I just replaced my tranny with Amsoil Synthetic ATF.

If you have the Getrag tranny, it takes ATF.

Going with Amsoil 75w-90 Severe Gear lube for my open diff.

1996 Z3 (M44)
Old 01-20-2012, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW z3
Quote:
I was going to go with Redline and do the project myself, but decided to have a local Euro mechanic shop do it, who uses Royal Purple. I put the following in my '97 Z3 1.9L Manual: Royal Purple Synchromax Manual Transmission and Royal Purple Max Gear 75w140 Gear Oil. Everything seems to be just fine and that was over a year ago.
Hey thanks for the info about the fluids im gonna go with those with your recommendations. Plan on changing them in about 1-2 weeks will post again after done.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:33 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
BTW, what type of Mobil 1 are you using in the diff?
Mobil 1 75W-90 Gear Lube. Available at most auto parts stores (Auto Zone or Advanced Auto).

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._75W-90LS.aspx

I have heard good things about the Royal Purple lubes. I haven't tried them myself.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)

Last edited by Pinecone; 01-21-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 96 z3 5spd
the bently SM says Hypoid oil for 96-7 z3s, which is stated in the mobil 1 and valvoline products. (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=2224845)