Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 735Li E66
Unhappy New DME required???

I have a 2003 E66 735Li N62 engine which is in permanent 'limp home' mode i.e. "Engine Fault - Reduced Power".

The fault started as an intermittent fault about 2,000 miles ago (i.e. it only occurred when the car had been standing overnight and would clear after a couple of engine restarts) and was worse in cold weather. An OBD scan threw up the following generic DTC fault codes:-

'P1065 - Variable valve timing - timeout, no signal - Can data bus malfunction'
&
'P1061 - Variable valve timing, bank 1 - limp home mode - circuit malfunction'

The fault condition is now permanent and so I had a friend with BMW DIS v.57 diagnostic software do a scan and here is the report:-

Valvetronic Timing Control No Communication Possible
CAN-FFFF-Can - Communication Fault
Determined Possible Causes:-
*** ARS
*** DME
*** PT-CAN
Possibility rating indicated by stars (5 being max)

System Analysis B6131_60113
Analysis of the bus fault showed that the DME did not participate, at least temporarily. On no account should the DME be replaced due to sporadic communication faults.
Other possible causes:-
Low voltage
Faulty connections
Check for loose or dirty connectors / replace connectors

As far as I can interpret the report, the VVT ECU is not communicating with the DME. The VVT ECU was replaced 10,000 miles ago for a different fault (VVT ROM error - internal fault) and I have checked and cleaned (with contact cleaner) all of the connectors and pins on the VVT ECU, the DME and the Integrated Supply Module and all seems fine.

I am thinking that the DME itself is faulty but because of the cost of these units I want to be sure before parting with my money. Is there any way the DME can be bench tested off the vehicle? I would love to hear from any BMW Techs out there.
Ads by Google
Old 03-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745i 2005
there is company in Canada they sell new DME programmed for your car for $800 rrpmmotorsport.net. I have some kind of problem with DME now. I am shopping around too. Some people say u can upgrade DME it may help.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
I doubt it's dme. If it was I think it won't even idle
If you have can signal problem, better find out why. For example zgm module can easily be the issue.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:33 AM

New DME required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khabar View Post
there is company in Canada they sell new DME programmed for your car for $800 rrpmmotorsport.net. I have some kind of problem with DME now. I am shopping around too. Some people say u can upgrade DME it may help.
Yes, I had already discovered RPM Motorsport, thanks. I still want to be 100% sure my DME is faulty before spending $800 + $65 shipping.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 AM

New DME required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
I doubt it's dme. If it was I think it won't even idle
If you have can signal problem, better find out why. For example zgm module can easily be the issue.
ZGM module?
Old 03-12-2012, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 745i 2005
keep us posting because i have issue almost the same. i want to make sure that is my DME before i replace it. RMPmotorsport told me update DMM and it may help,but i do know how.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 745li, lotus esprit, 540i
Dme

Anybody find the solution on this issue?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
I had that code before staying on permanent if you cleared it, and it was just the gear that the sensor monitors to keep up with the cams rotation had spun off. I opened the valve cover and screwed it back on and was good to go.

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 11-17-2012, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 745li, lotus esprit, 540i
Hi there, just wondering, are you talking about the reluctor ring at the back of the camshaft.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: Alpina B7 e66
best way to make sure if the problem from the dme or not Swap DME,CAS,Remote with any of your friend for testing only
you dont need to remove the CAS from your car just remove the Air conditioner slot near the cas then you will see the plug connector release it and connect it to your friend Cas.
after that you just need to Swap the DME very easy step.