Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Primer Primer is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 3 series
Unhappy Crank pulley

Help! Have any members heard of this happening? The crank pulley has come completely off my 320 d, there was no vibration or prior warning before this happened.
Would really appreciate your views.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-15-2012, 11:09 AM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,483
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
I haven't heard of it happening prior to this. Is the dealer taking care of you?

Last edited by DSXMachina; 11-15-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Primer Primer is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 3 series
Crank Pulley

Unfortunately vehicle is 2008 and not still under warranty. Contact dealership today and will cost £90.00 to have them investigate but BMW UK will not offer any possible help without this assessment.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primer View Post
Help! Have any members heard of this happening? The crank pulley has come completely off my 320 d, there was no vibration or prior warning before this happened.
Would really appreciate your views.

What happened after?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Primer Primer is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 3 series
Crank Pulley

Started and drove the vehicle about 800m, no problems, stopped at traffic lights and battery warning light came on, turned out of junction and heard a clank and dragging on the road, stopped car immediately and when I looked underneath oil was pouring out. There was no vibration or any other warning. Belt was fully intact, only saw two bolts, one bent and the other thread was stripped. Called breakdown assistance who towed car to garage.
Apparently crank pulley hit pipe on the block of the engine and has caused damage which requires engine replacement.
Sorry its not very technical but I know very little about cars but this is how it has been explained to me!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-2012, 12:27 PM
twhisten twhisten is offline
Drive it like u stole it!
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 784
Mein Auto: 2013 M3
Engine has to be replaced?? YIKES!!
__________________


1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 PM
alpinweiss alpinweiss is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Nuevo México
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,522
Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primer View Post
...Apparently crank pulley hit pipe on the block of the engine and has caused damage which requires engine replacement.
Sorry its not very technical but I know very little about cars but this is how it has been explained to me!
The crank pulley failure is a known issue on the 320d engine, although I thought the E46 models were more problematic than the E90 models. The remedy is normally replacing the the front pulley assembly. I was not aware this could cause complete engine failure, and I am having trouble understanding what happened on your car.

I would certainly recommend talking to your nearest BMW dealer, and maybe BMW UK. Ask about a goodwill repair, even though your car is out of warranty. The worst they can say is "no".

__________________
Alpinweiß
E46, E83, E90 (all with three pedals)
BMW CCA member
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Primer Primer is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 3 series
Thank you for your replies, I do appreciate all the information I can get. As said previously I am not technical minded but I have been explained that when the crank pulley came off, it hit the bottom of the engine causing damage which requires complete engine replacement.
I have contacted BMW UK they will not offer any goodwill gesture if any until the vehicle has been assessed by one of their dealership garages, this will cost £90.00 plus cost of getting the car to them but it seems like the best action to take and maybe worth the money?

Have be lent a car by a friend but I really miss my bimmer!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primer View Post
Thank you for your replies, I do appreciate all the information I can get. As said previously I am not technical minded but I have been explained that when the crank pulley came off, it hit the bottom of the engine causing damage which requires complete engine replacement.
I have contacted BMW UK they will not offer any goodwill gesture if any until the vehicle has been assessed by one of their dealership garages, this will cost £90.00 plus cost of getting the car to them but it seems like the best action to take and maybe worth the money?

Have be lent a car by a friend but I really miss my bimmer!

Oddly fragile, especially for a diesel, don't you think?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms