Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-15-2012, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 3 series
Unhappy Crank pulley

Help! Have any members heard of this happening? The crank pulley has come completely off my 320 d, there was no vibration or prior warning before this happened.
Would really appreciate your views.
Ads by Google
Old 11-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
I haven't heard of it happening prior to this. Is the dealer taking care of you?

Last edited by DSXMachina; 11-15-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:49 PM

Crank Pulley

Unfortunately vehicle is 2008 and not still under warranty. Contact dealership today and will cost £90.00 to have them investigate but BMW UK will not offer any possible help without this assessment.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primer View Post
Help! Have any members heard of this happening? The crank pulley has come completely off my 320 d, there was no vibration or prior warning before this happened.
Would really appreciate your views.

What happened after?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:52 AM

Crank Pulley

Started and drove the vehicle about 800m, no problems, stopped at traffic lights and battery warning light came on, turned out of junction and heard a clank and dragging on the road, stopped car immediately and when I looked underneath oil was pouring out. There was no vibration or any other warning. Belt was fully intact, only saw two bolts, one bent and the other thread was stripped. Called breakdown assistance who towed car to garage.
Apparently crank pulley hit pipe on the block of the engine and has caused damage which requires engine replacement.
Sorry its not very technical but I know very little about cars but this is how it has been explained to me!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Drive it like u stole it!

Mein Auto: 2013 M3
Engine has to be replaced?? YIKES!!

1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
...Apparently crank pulley hit pipe on the block of the engine and has caused damage which requires engine replacement.
Sorry its not very technical but I know very little about cars but this is how it has been explained to me!
The crank pulley failure is a known issue on the 320d engine, although I thought the E46 models were more problematic than the E90 models. The remedy is normally replacing the the front pulley assembly. I was not aware this could cause complete engine failure, and I am having trouble understanding what happened on your car.

I would certainly recommend talking to your nearest BMW dealer, and maybe BMW UK. Ask about a goodwill repair, even though your car is out of warranty. The worst they can say is "no".

Old 11-17-2012, 09:36 AM

Thank you for your replies, I do appreciate all the information I can get. As said previously I am not technical minded but I have been explained that when the crank pulley came off, it hit the bottom of the engine causing damage which requires complete engine replacement.
I have contacted BMW UK they will not offer any goodwill gesture if any until the vehicle has been assessed by one of their dealership garages, this will cost £90.00 plus cost of getting the car to them but it seems like the best action to take and maybe worth the money?

Have be lent a car by a friend but I really miss my bimmer!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Thank you for your replies, I do appreciate all the information I can get. As said previously I am not technical minded but I have been explained that when the crank pulley came off, it hit the bottom of the engine causing damage which requires complete engine replacement.
I have contacted BMW UK they will not offer any goodwill gesture if any until the vehicle has been assessed by one of their dealership garages, this will cost £90.00 plus cost of getting the car to them but it seems like the best action to take and maybe worth the money?

Have be lent a car by a friend but I really miss my bimmer!

Oddly fragile, especially for a diesel, don't you think?