Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by abontchev View Post
hey im in the process of doing my oil leak. i am stuck at the point of removing the 4 bolts on the motor mount/bracket....i got the 2 bolts up front out but the rear 2 seem impossible.....any tips would be great help... i did not remove anything from the drivers wheel side. only underneath. i removed the alternator and the power steering pump... and the alternator bracket bolts are off. i just need to loosen/take out the 2 torx bolts on the motor mount and im stuck

btw how is your leak? is it bad or just dribbles slowly?
congratulations on vcg job....
i have a dynamic drive too but i just removed it with anti roll bar and tied it with zip ties and same thing with power steering pump......its not complicated just takes a little time for the first time as you try to figure out the best and easiest way to do it with out engine hoist and special tools.....actually i had a guy give me a hand since i was under the car and he was under the fender driver side turning the ratchet and i was holding the extension with e torx socket....those 4 motor mount torx bolts are the worst because if the socket slips then you have problems....i think its better if you have someone help you when removing those 4 bolts....i will try to post more pics and videos later on...good luck with your project coming up in few weeks...i am also interested and will watch your progress...good day
[/QUOTE]

try to remove the driver side wheel and go in there from side...raise/lower engine and just use extensions with flexible joint..thats how i did it
Old 11-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by abontchev View Post
also i do not have the liquid cooling alternator? i dont know if that makes any difference.
i was thinking that you only have the alternator bracket gasket leaks on water cooled alternators...but i guess its the same with air cooled too

good luck
Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: M3, 745li, Speclzd FSR Pr
Thanks

I appreciate your efforts here. I am half way through... now for those rear bolts!! lol

This is one of those jobs that would be SO MUCH EASIER the second time! lol My brother sent me the gaskets but sent me 4 so if anyone is in a bind and needs one near the Huntington Beach area - let me know. Then you can say you did a $2500 job on your car and someone else paid for the parts! lol

Thanks again!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: M3, 745li, Speclzd FSR Pr
Does the motor mount have to come all the way out or should you just losen them enough to get the alt mount out... Maybe I'm answering my own question... I guess to properly seat the new seal, I guess it would be best to have it off.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
Alternator gasket leak

I know its been a while on this post but I'm new to the forum and in the midst of doing this repair. Did you ever post the video for this repair. I can't seem to get the power steering pump removed on mine. Got the front bolts off but it wont budge. Kind of dead in the water. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-08-2013, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li, '04 Escalade
Cherry745i.

I just finished doing mine this past Monday. I will explain how I got this done because I had the same issues you are having. There are three 13mm bolts holding the power steering pump. Remove the two in the front first. Then to get to the one behind the pump you will need to go under the car. You will need to raise the engine with a support to get a better angle to this third bolt. You will aslo need to use an extension as well as two universal joints in order to get to it. Once you get the third bolt out, you will need to slide it forward. If the engine is raised high enough you will also be able to move the canister (holds the power steering fluid) to the from of the car as well. Some may recommend that you drain the fluid from the cannister but I didn't do that. I just moved it along with the pump to the from area of the car. Hopefully this will help. Be very patient with this job and don't give up. It took me a long time to do it since I was only able to spend a couple hours per night on the car. Some nights I would celebrate if I was able to remove two bolts on a one hour period. Keep at it!

Old 11-08-2013, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Power steering pump removal

Thanks for your quick response! Where is that third bolt located on the pump (upper rear, lower rear)? I just cant get eyes on it. I did drain the reservoir, so once I get that last bolt out I can move on to the real fun task of removing the alternator bracket. Thanks for the advice on going slow. I've given myself the weekend to do it so time is not an issue. Little frustrated at this point though. Thanks again for the help

Cherry745i
Old 11-09-2013, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li, '04 Escalade
It is directly behind the power steering pump. Somewhere in the center