Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-17-2012, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 525i
Smile Battery Dead 5.0 AMP draw ?? 06 525i

Maybe someone can help. I have a dead battery every morning. My mechanic says there is a 5 amp draw and he has tested all the various control modules. We can not figure out where this draw is coming from. Any tips? When I jump start the car it runs fine but the AM radio is very distorted...could this be related?? On a one hour trip a few weeks ago the stereo cut out a few times, mid song, and the next day the battery was dead and thats when the trouble started. help!!!
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2012, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530d M Sport Packet
Hi there,
It happened to me last year that for a week or so my radio stopped or the navi display would go off. Everything restored once I stopped the car and restarted it. Until one day when in the morning the battery was dead. Went to BMW, they did a energy test and told me that the display module was burned. That happened due to a faulty air vent in the trunk( there are two either sides) under the battery, which let water from the road to come inside the trunk and accumulate on the bottom, under the place where it's suppose to be the spare tyre.there you have a lot of modules which may all burn. It cost me 150
Old 11-17-2012, 03:12 PM

Hmm I wrote more but apparently something went wrong and I see only half of that..maybe cos I wrote from iPhone app...anyhow the idea is to check for water in the trunk under the place for spare tyre.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:26 PM

I will take a look for sure. It was pouring rain and I was on the highway went the radio started cutting out. My battery, which is a year old, is filthy and dusty and ha it replaced just now under warranty. I told them I thought it was faulty but that wasn't the issue. Thanks I will look but I have had the car in the garage for 10 days.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:13 PM

I took out the mpm ( micro power module) which is under the spare tire spot. Way under. Saw a comment some where in the web where someone with an E60 got his wet. Stereo failed, GPS and iDrive as well and battery dead every morning. Took min out. Car still starts. Gonna leave it out and try in a few hours.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 AM

In my case I found water,not much but enough to burn the module and it was black and smelling really bad. If you didn't find water at all it might be from some place else. But in my case BMW did the energy diagnose test and immediately understood where the leak is, that's what they told me. Why your mechanic wasn't able to tell you straight where which component is drawing so much amps?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 AM

I pulled the module out and an very pleased to announce that this morning the car started right up. Not sure why the mechanic could not find it. Perhaps I should have gone straight to BMW. Did you have much trouble locating a replacement PCM ?