Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 BMW Z3
1.9l exhaust recomendations.

Now before i have people yelling at me to use the custom search bar, i just want to let you guys know that i have used it and have not found a direct answer. I have a 96 1.9l and im just looking for an exhaust that will give me a more appealing sound than the stock one. I have not been able to find many videos online so i decided to come here to look for some help. Do you guys have any recommendations?
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2012, 05:51 PM
BE IRIE

Mein Auto: 1996 Z3 1.9L M44
Ansa. I have it on mine.

1996 Z3 (M44)
Old 11-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: sloporsche
you could check with some exhaust shops just for the heck of it. might be way cheaper
Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 BMW Z3
Alright ill check it out. And what rims do you have on your car? They look really good.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:27 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jortiz96 View Post
... I have a 96 1.9l and im just looking for an exhaust that will give me a more appealing sound than the stock one. I have not been able to find many videos online so i decided to come here to look for some help. Do you guys have any recommendations?
For my 1997 Z3 1.9L I looked around and liked the clips and the look of the Supersprint. I found a New Old Stock one on eBay for $650. The Italian certificates dated to Oct 1967.
The attraction was that it was bolt on. Current Supersprints are cheaper but apparently come with a separate front connector pipe carrying the flange, that must be welded onto the end of the muffler's pipe.

I am pleased and fascinated by the Supersprint's complex and varied sound. There is a rasp when started and blipped, and when releasing the clutch on take off. Underway there is a hoarse, windy, muted mutter, not very audible except under heavy throttle and when going under a bridge etc. I have had aftermarket mufflers on two BMWs and a Rabbit and a Scion, and this is the best one yet. The sound is perfect.

A shop installed it, and the muffler did not hang centered in the bumper opening -- it touched the right side. I took off the two rubber muffler hangers and the muffler did not shift. So I cut up an extra rubber hanger to make a rubber spacer washer which I installed on the inside of the right rear rubber hanger, and that pushed the muffler to the right, centering it perfectly.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW Z3
I swear by supersprint, completely drone free and plenty loud. Don't worry never figured out the search bar myself