Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-17-2012, 04:21 PM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
Exploding clutch fan ?

I'm sure you've read the odd post here and there about an exploding clutch fan that kills everything and sometimes makes a big dent in the hood. It only comes loose while driving. Those who post that here go onto say that they've done away with the vicsous clutch fan entirely and switched to an electric fan.

If you have done that, you may still have trouble. Apparently, the fan falls apart in that way due to issues caused by bad engine mounts. Please see :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...30#post5740730


rgdz,
Roberto

Last edited by robertobaggio20; 11-19-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 11-17-2012, 07:43 PM
snowsled7 snowsled7 is offline
The Ornery Old Man
Location: SW Mountains
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 980
Mein Auto: GTI
Fan clutches do not explode, they do not wear out water pumps, they are a minimal drag by design. It is a clutch that engages when needed otherwise freewheels (more or less).

If your motor mounts have failed, allowing the engine fan to hit the shroud, you could most definately have a mess of broken parts and a dented hood. This is not a fan clutch issue.

I only read the first couple of pages. Lots of bad info for sure
__________________
Current ride... '13 GTI Wolfsburg
BMW's from my past...
'92 535i/5 '89 325ix/5
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-17-2012, 08:06 PM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
What you say certainly sounds sensible.

Fan clutches have come off the water pump shaft and dented the hood before. The reasons offered then were all related to a bad fan clutch. The post I've referred to above contains the following blurb on the first page :

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Actually the BMW techs consensus about exploding radiator fans is because of failed engine mounts. When the clutch fails, it only accelerates the matter. And because the v8 has more torque, the engine mounts fail earlier. There were also quite a few posts with people experiencing the 2nd failed fan and not knowing why. Once the mounts were changed, the fans lasted.
To my recollection, the hows and whys of how this happens has never been discussed in detail, as such, the op's version of events has never been disputed. Doru's assertion here is thus new over here.


rgds,
Roberto
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 PM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
For anyone who wants to get into the meat and potatoes of exploding clutch fans, this looks like the right thread :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=562281
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 AM
snowsled7 snowsled7 is offline
The Ornery Old Man
Location: SW Mountains
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 980
Mein Auto: GTI
Originally Posted by doru
Actually the BMW techs consensus about exploding radiator fans is because of failed engine mounts. When the clutch fails, it only accelerates the matter. And because the v8 has more torque, the engine mounts fail earlier. There were also quite a few posts with people experiencing the 2nd failed fan and not knowing why. Once the mounts were changed, the fans lasted.


His fan clutch comment makes no sense. He is talking about engine mounts and fan clutches when there is no interrelation there.

Bad engine mounts allowing fan to shroud contact, yes. Still no relation to the fan clutch.

Fan clutches do not explode, please dispense with the sensationalism
__________________
Current ride... '13 GTI Wolfsburg
BMW's from my past...
'92 535i/5 '89 325ix/5
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-19-2012, 06:48 AM
CarDriver's Avatar
CarDriver CarDriver is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Saint Albans, New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,414
Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
I have to agree. Call it what it is so not to confuse. It is about the Fan Blades, not Fan Clutch.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 AM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarDriver View Post
I have to agree. Call it what it is so not to confuse. It is about the Fan Blades, not Fan Clutch.
No, its about the fan blades coming into contact with the fan shroud, when the engine mounts fail and move the engine itself physically lower.

When the mounts fail, the blades hit the shroud, especially when driving over bumps etc.. If the fan clutch itself is bad, i suppose it wobbles more and hits the shroud more, coming apart faster. So snowsled is right.

If you encounter anyone whose fan clutch came apart (is that better sir ? ) and thinks this is due to the fan clutch's inherent weakness, please ask them to have their engine mounts checked immediately. Fan clutch failure would be a misdiagnosis in this situation. They might change a new fan clutch and have the problem happen again, or install a radiator-mounted electric fan which would not have such issues, but their failed engine mounts may lead to other problems with the car apart from merely increased vibration and noise (feel free to correct me here).

Thank you.

rgds,
Roberto
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 AM
1995i540's Avatar
1995i540 1995i540 is offline
Founder @ Maintenr
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 717
Mein Auto: 1995 540I/6
Our engine mounts also fail faster because of PS lines run right above them and once they start to leak they will eat the mount.

The fan clutch (or anything else) for that matter could be affected by severely damaged mounts.

It could also explode if plastic became old and brittle or if it seizes during hard acceleration. If fan clutch is already seized it will wear your WP bearing until it starts to fail unless the plastic is too old and once again explodes.
__________________


///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts


Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-26-2012, 12:36 PM
CarDriver's Avatar
CarDriver CarDriver is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Saint Albans, New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,414
Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
No, its about the fan blades coming into contact with the fan shroud, when the engine mounts fail and move the engine itself physically lower.

When the mounts fail, the blades hit the shroud, especially when driving over bumps etc.. If the fan clutch itself is bad, i suppose it wobbles more and hits the shroud more, coming apart faster. So snowsled is right.

If you encounter anyone whose fan clutch came apart (is that better sir ? ) and thinks this is due to the fan clutch's inherent weakness, please ask them to have their engine mounts checked immediately. Fan clutch failure would be a misdiagnosis in this situation. They might change a new fan clutch and have the problem happen again, or install a radiator-mounted electric fan which would not have such issues, but their failed engine mounts may lead to other problems with the car apart from merely increased vibration and noise (feel free to correct me here).

Thank you.

rgds,
Roberto

Exacctly my point "Fan Blades" Not the "Fan Clutch"
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Josh429er Josh429er is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Saukville, Wi
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 233
Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 535i
Has anyone had a power steering pump shaft walk out? Lol that would be a mess Haha, I've seen that on a Duramax. Snowsled is probably the only person who sees the major problem with diesel loosing a serpantine belt.
__________________
2003 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD CC/SB
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:48 AM
snowsled7 snowsled7 is offline
The Ornery Old Man
Location: SW Mountains
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 980
Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh429er View Post
Has anyone had a power steering pump shaft walk out? Lol that would be a mess Haha, I've seen that on a Duramax. Snowsled is probably the only person who sees the major problem with diesel loosing a serpantine belt.
Serpantine belt usually means there is just the one, which means it drives the water pump. So you aren't going far, thats for sure

Old diesels can run without electricity though, modern deisels wont start without enough battery voltage to run the computer
__________________
Current ride... '13 GTI Wolfsburg
BMW's from my past...
'92 535i/5 '89 325ix/5
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 AM
snowsled7 snowsled7 is offline
The Ornery Old Man
Location: SW Mountains
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 980
Mein Auto: GTI
Maybe we are just confusing the semantics. Fan clutch and clutched fan mean two different things to me.

The fan clutch is the center section that provides the variable connection between the actual fan and the belt driven wp.

If you say the clutched fan explodes, yes, if the fan blades hit something they will probably shatter. The clutched fan assumes the whole assmebly.

Understand that there are two completely sepeate parts being discussed. The actual clutch and the seperate fan blades/hub. Together they could be properly referred to as the clutched fan, or engine driven fan, as opposed to and autonomous electric unit.

Fan clutches though, do not explode.
__________________
Current ride... '13 GTI Wolfsburg
BMW's from my past...
'92 535i/5 '89 325ix/5
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 AM
CarDriver's Avatar
CarDriver CarDriver is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Saint Albans, New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,414
Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsled7 View Post
Maybe we are just confusing the semantics. Fan clutch and clutched fan mean two different things to me.

The fan clutch is the center section that provides the variable connection between the actual fan and the belt driven wp.

If you say the clutched fan explodes, yes, if the fan blades hit something they will probably shatter. The clutched fan assumes the whole assmebly.

Understand that there are two completely sepeate parts being discussed. The actual clutch and the seperate fan blades/hub. Together they could be properly referred to as the clutched fan, or engine driven fan, as opposed to and autonomous electric unit.

Fan clutches though, do not explode.
Thank you!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Josh429er Josh429er is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Saukville, Wi
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 233
Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 535i
I was going to say that, but forgot. On a diesel they have no vacuum, so the brakes are powered off of the serpantine belt too. And Idk how many of you tried to stop a 7k+ vehicle without power brakes and steering lol. But I'm sure its fun.
__________________
2003 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD CC/SB
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:31 PM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
Fan clutches obviously never literally explode. The fan does not come apart from its assembly spontaneously due to clutch failure. That is now clearly seen to be a misdiagnosis. The engine's mountings fail, causing the engine itself to judder especially when the car is driven over bumps etc. The fan's blades hit the shroud or something else, and the impact coupled with its fast spinning momentum causes it to become dislodged and unleash itself upon the car and its bonnet, and ultimately upon the owner's wallet.

Last edited by robertobaggio20; 11-27-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Josh429er Josh429er is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Saukville, Wi
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 233
Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 535i
I'm sure It's fast enough to look like it explodes.
__________________
2003 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD CC/SB
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-29-2012, 10:29 AM
S406 S406 is offline
Registered User
Location: Montana
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 68
Mein Auto: 00 S4, 93 525i
My fan blew up while I was working under the hood 2 nights ago. I dont know how but the shrapnel missed me...Mine was due to a bad upper rad mount. The fan sucked the rad into it self.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-29-2012, 10:32 AM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by S406 View Post
My fan blew up while I was working under the hood 2 nights ago. I dont know how but the shrapnel missed me...Mine was due to a bad upper rad mount. The fan sucked the rad into it self.
Glad you're ok dude. That really could have been nasty.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-29-2012, 04:02 PM
south26 south26 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 805
Mein Auto: 535i 1989
Try not to kill yourself.


Andy
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 PM
S406 S406 is offline
Registered User
Location: Montana
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 68
Mein Auto: 00 S4, 93 525i
Thanks...No idea how it all missed me..Found pieces in every corner of our 2000sq ft shop
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-03-2012, 03:54 PM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by S406 View Post
Thanks...No idea how it all missed me..Found pieces in every corner of our 2000sq ft shop
" The force is strong with this one. "

You had a narrow escape my friend. Feel good about life.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 PM
S406 S406 is offline
Registered User
Location: Montana
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 68
Mein Auto: 00 S4, 93 525i
I always feel good about life! Unless I get trolled for my wheels tee hee
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms