Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Clay Bar

How often should you do a clay treatment on your exterior...is it possible to overdo it? I took delivery of my 2013 535 M-Sport 8 weeks ago and with us heading into winter thought about claying and waxing the car, but not sure if it may damage the relatively "new" paint...?
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2012, 05:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Clay as often as you like. Likely only needed before each wax/polish.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 AM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
BigHungry seems to have a lot of cool detailing products. Hopefully he can chime in with some recommendations and advice.

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Old 11-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Whenever the car needs it. You can tell by feeling the paint. I don't do it more than 3x to 4x per year, honestly.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfinger View Post
How often should you do a clay treatment on your exterior...is it possible to overdo it? I took delivery of my 2013 535 M-Sport 8 weeks ago and with us heading into winter thought about claying and waxing the car, but not sure if it may damage the relatively "new" paint...?

There is no "new" paint anymore.

Going into winter, I would definitely clay and then get a good sealant like Zaino's or another brand, there are many good ones. Keep the crap from damaging your clear coat through the winter.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Serious About Shine

Send a message via Yahoo to bighungry618
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
BigHungry seems to have a lot of cool detailing products. Hopefully he can chime in with some recommendations and advice.

Thanks Mr. Deep,

But just to clarify, I do not own or work for Detailed Image. It is an east coast based and my favorite detailing supply company's website that I get my personal and professional supplies from.
I'm only a detailer, but boy do I wish I owned that company.
That being said, I'd be happy to help the OP with his clay bar question.

JohnFinger,

Claying is important because it removes imbedded contaminants in your clear-coat. Using the clay before the polishing step is especially important. It prevents the damage that could happen (will happen) by grinding in those contaminants and marring/swirling your paint as you polish your car; either by hand or machine.

The frequency in which you should clay your car varies with how well you care for your car overall, generally one needs only to clay twice a year; spring and fall. As I said, it could be more for example; if you park outside, commute long distances, or if you don't wash your car frequently.

If and when you clay, like others have suggested, it is highly recommended that you polish and or wax/seal your paint. The options for various products are limitless and most of them should suffice for personal car care needs. Before winter I would definitely use a sealant like Black Fire Wet Diamond, or Menzerna Powerlock. There are many comparable products, but I prefer those. Click my signature if you wish, there is great information available for free on DI.

PM me for specific how to questions if you'd like and congrats on your new M-sport

"IRENE" = 2011 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Dakota, Premium, Cold
Mods:
JB4 Stage 2, Black Grille Surrounds, Black Fender Signal Trim, Body color front / rear reflectors and rear diffuser, DeBadged, 20% LLumar ATR premium tint.
To keep your car looking its very best:
Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies

Last edited by bighungry618; 11-19-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Thank you for your expertise Mr Hungry.

May I ask if one clay bar is superior to another? Is a Mother's clay bar from Wal-Mart the same as a clay bar from Zaino?

Also, what is your take on Zaino products? I see many amateurs rave about it. Sad to say, but I have not had time to wax a vehicle in years .

I have been out of the loop and need to get some TLC on my vehicles. I guess that is why my 2 most recent vehicles are silver .

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Old 11-17-2012, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
May I ask if one clay bar is superior to another? Is a Mother's clay bar from Wal-Mart the same as a clay bar from Zaino?

Also, what is your take on Zaino products? I see many amateurs rave about it. Sad to say, but I have not had time to wax a vehicle in years .
You can clay on a weekly basis if you want. But it's not necessary at that interval.

I do feel there is a difference in quality among clay bars. My favorite so far is Adam's Clay Bar.

The key to claying is making sure you have enough "lube" on the metal when you run the clay over it. This can be a quick detail, or highly concentrated soapy water. If there is no liquid on the paint in front of the bar, DO NOT rub the clay over it. You can easily damage your paint.

I think Zaino makes a very easy-to-apply, long-lasting product. It's not my favorite, but for 95% of the folks out there, it certainly does a good job.

Check out the detailing forum for better information.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
I usually clay my cars twice a year - before applying the winter coat and summer coat of wax.

BMW CCA Member
Old 11-17-2012, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
claying is a vitally important part of the detailing process.

i'm not going to get a chance to do a full detail before winter. i doubt it it will hurt the car.

however if you do clay, you should do a polish with a good company, IMO like Menzerna the topcoat with a sealant.

more i look at it, doing a mega detail before winter is a bit of a waste of time. i doubt that your paint will get murdered over one winter.

i wash myself, or use a touchless. touchless is mostly in the bad weather months.

however, if you are going to do a clay, you should have a decently high end R.O. or orbital polisher and know how to use it, plus a polish that can take out the problems.

Phil at detailer's domain is extremely helpful. I have a Flex waiting to be used, but it's one heavy SOB. I also have a PC R.O. which might be helpful to do some spot areas.

My area gets a lot of snow and ice--which results in a lot of salt products and cinders being deployed. So doing a mega fall detail does to protect it--I really don't know.

Einszett is known as one of the mfg's that makes a product that can stand up to heavy salt, but even then I don't know if it's perfect.

All i know is I like the interior clean, leather treated, and clean interior windows. I plan on a mega exterior detail in the spring.

Whatever you do, have fun while doing it! That's part of the fun of having one of these cars.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535 i- F10
Very good info on the clay bar care
Thanks