BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

barn find

Z3 
17K views 112 replies 28 participants last post by  mhopper 
#1 ·
I have the chance to get a 1997 6cyl. for next to nothing. (I can probably get it for free.) It has not been driven in two years. I put a battery in it and check the fluids and it started right up. it has 180K on it with bmw service records up to 155k. Here is the down side so far... air bag light is on, check engine light is on, brake and stability lights are on. It is also over heating because the electric fan is not coming on. (dont worry, I didnt let it get hot enough to do damage.) It needs a soft top. and the power seats aren't working.

My question is---is it worth bringing home or am I staring into an abyss of a money pit? Car idles good, doesnt smoke in spite of sitting, and the body is in perfect shape. I have thought about having it towed to a mechanic and have an estimate. I am just not sure about spending money on a car I dont yet own! Part of the obsession is that I hate to see it just sit there and ruin! any input will be appreciated!

#2 ·
Get it home! Most of the problems you describe are normal maintenance items that all Z3 owners will eventually have to do anyway. The cooling system will need an overhaul. New water pump, radiator, thermostat and housing, hoses and overflow tank. New brakes and sensors should take care of the brake light. The airbag light can be as simple as poor connections under the seat. Aftermarket tops can be purchased relatively cheap. You will also want to change all fluids (engine oil, transmission, rear diff), air, oil and fuel filter changes and spark plugs of course. The tires are probably ready for replacement as well. All of this work can be done by the average DIY'er. Give yourself a budget of 2-3 thousand, a time frame of a few weeks, and you will have a great running, mechanically sound car. Once the car is ready to go, then spend money on the fun things like suspension.

Good luck.

#3 ·
please do keep us informed of the outcome. That is a wonderful find. I would also take pics and post the results along the way to back on the road. if you do we would love to see them.

#4 ·
My wife just got an email from the owner of the z. He told her that he thought about it over the weekend and realizes that I have a genuine interest in the car. He said that he knows I will give it a better home than he has. So he wants to give it to me! Picking it up Saturday!

#6 ·
Awesome!! Take pics. This site and another will help you out immensely and answer many, if not all if you use the search button. There is a DIY write up for everything that I have mentioned.

Congratulations.

#7 · (Edited)
For years I installed car stereo. One of the very first z3 cars of the line was preordered by one of my customers. He brought to our store before he even took it home. I have had a soft spot for these cars ever since. I can't believe I am going to own one! I apologize in advance for all the dumb newby questions I wll pester you with!

#8 ·
search this thread

Congratulations on your find. Most of what you will need to do has been done by many forum members and more than likely there is a thread with detailed information on these DIY projects. Just click on "search this thread" at the top of the home page and type in the project name you want information about (example: cooling system). This forum has been extremely helpful to me and has saved me losts of $$. Best of luck with the car.

#11 ·
Wow, great find and at the best possible price!

Where in SC are you? I have a local indy mechanic in the Florence are that has worked on my Z4 and is very reasonable.
You are going to love that car. That is what I always wanted but never had the money for....
Then when time finally came to buy one I ended up getting a Z4 because of the glass window on the soft top. But I still think the Z3 is an amazing looking car.

#17 ·
I brought it home today. I found an independent BMW mechanic that was highly recommended by a friend. He is gonna look it over, fix the cooling system, and tell me the good, the bad, and he ugly. I couldn't believe the looks it was getting on the trailer on the way home. I will try to put a picture up tomorrow.

#18 ·
Oh my godddddddddd.............I've been waiting all damn day for the friggen pics.....common already:)

#66 · (Edited)
for your headlights, if you want to restore them yourself, try this product.

http://www.dvelup.com/Cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_16&products_id=78

I used it on my Z4 before i sold it and it made my car look brand new. It got rid of all the haze and everything. Plus the owner of the company will answer any questions you have personally. I know i bugged him on the best way to use the product.

It will take some elbow grease but totally worth it. Dont buy those cheap ones out of the store either they dont work as good. They also have another product that i use with is called CColor enhancer for exterior paint s a scratch remover) and Color Nu for the interior non metal panels. you should check them out. I know they have some oder removers and windshield cleaner and spray wax too but havent used it yet so i cant say. I will say this though, I love their products and wont use anyones elses because of the quality.

Obviously i didnt see your post from above but i will leave this here for everyone else.

#21 ·
Mhopper!!! Damn it boy, you hit the jackpot with your speedbuggy!!! LOL Fantastic find and "opportunity". You're going to love the car. Like others, I had to put some greenback on the table to get mine, but am enjoying the drive everyday. Good luck and happy motoring. BTW, did he throw in a goat just for cleaning out his garage? LOL Lawnmower!!! LOL

#22 ·
Looks really sweet, a good run thru the mechanicals, change ALL the fluids and a detail job and it looks like it will be quite the gem.
Is the body and paint as good as it appears?

#48 ·
You are a very foturnate man to locate it. I would have to say, as long as the engine doesn't need to be replaced, you will be way ahead in the game. You did mention hail damage though. Was this a salvage title car due to hail?

Regardless, you'll enjoy the drive.

#27 ·
#28 · (Edited)
i just heard from my mechanic. A rat or something had chewed on some stuff. Two oil gaskets leaking. Serpentine belt is in rough shape. wires to brake and abs sensors and abs module chewed through. replace a couple of things in the cooling system. bad airbag sensor. change all fluids. pcv valve/oil seperator... tune up w/spark plugs and coil packs and a ton of other miscellany including wiper blades, detailing, etc....$1649. He is fixing everything I need minus tires and a top. For a free car, I can handle that. i hope that next time repairs are needed I will be knowledgeable enough to handle it. He said the motor is strong and the suspension is all good!:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.