Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Yea...ARC and dynamic suspension are not gonna rewrite the laws of physics and prevent a roll-over. However ARC and dynamic suspension allow you to approach the limit much more composed than say a mechanical, non-adaptive setup. You can watch the videos, from BMW explained what the Active Roll Stabilization system (X5 is used in the videos i believe on youtube) and Dynamic Dampers (pretty much imagine a suspension given coil-over levels of adjustability all through a simple driver controlled switch).

The video of the BMW unable to rolled, was the X6. This was due in part to the x6 having a very low center of gravity and hence, they had to induce it by, purposely trying to crash the vehicle (they have a wireless steering controller and a bigger ramp). I could go one more, but thats just too much.

All in all the dynamic suspension isnt a must for most people, as you could purchase other daily driver options (HUD, better seats, better anything that makes your X easier to live with). However if you like taking your X3 on windy roads, or take the highway on-ramp at more than civic like speeds, dynamic is a must.
Dynamic suspension allows more comfortable settings on the suspension setup while allowing it to stiffen up when cornering. It is not as dramatic improvement in handling as active anti roll bar where it does change things when corning by keeping weight where you want it to be.

Anyway, I only suggest dynamic damper if you want more comfort than current suspension setup. Personally, I think the x3 default suspension is just fine considering where I came from.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App

Old 11-17-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
To the OP.

I would honestly put the advice on the powertrain opinions aside, and personally test drive each vehicle (28i or 35i) with and without the dynamic handling package. Let your built in g-sensor get a feel for what its like. From there decide. In addition, if your referring to anti-roll over functionality, most modern SUVS or crossovers have that built into their stability control systems. If you were referring to ARS (active Roll stabilization found in the X5, and most F-platform vehicles) then i believe it is not applicable to X3 series (currently at least). However, the dynamic handling pack will do a great job forgetting that you dont have that option. However again, test drive the dynamic pack if possible.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
If you have the cash get a x5 m if you don't get the x3 35i.
I have a e30 m3 and my 2006 x3 I like the look of it but wish it had that 335i turbo motor in it!
I put on some sick AC Schnitzer 19" wheels and like to do exhaust and chip.
The X3 handles great 50/50 weight distribution .
If it is size you want than I don't think either are very large or roomy.
The Audi has some nice looking large suv out.
I'm more into bmw though their is some nice Audi's out .
Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisas View Post
I know many of you had compared with X3 when you were buying X5. I'm in the same situation now. I plan to have one kid next year and another one a year or two later. So I need a car that can seat parents, two kids and another adult passenger. I found that X5 does not provide much more space. And some comments here say that the third row is too tiny even for toddlers. I'm wondering what make you people choose X5 over X3.

Any input is appreciated!
I need to be able to transport 4 adults and one child in a seat. They can all fit comfortably in an X5.

When I bought the X5, I needed to fit a rear facing convertible child seat. They take a lot of room, even in the X5 we had to move the front passenger seat forward.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: E60 M5,
Wait for the X3 with the Diesel engine sometime next year. I drove one with the 3.0 diesel, with the M Sport package in Sept. worth waiting for.

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
10 C300 4Matic ED Delivery
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
95 Suburban 2500 Heavy Duty Mule