Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 01 bmw 325i and 96 328is
shifting issues

ok so im sure a couple of you have seen my post about my car issue but im stuck between 2 diff thoughts as to whats wrong. here's what happened. i was driving down the interstate when i started going up a slight incline when it felt like my clutch slipped and the rpms reved up as if i were in neutral i realeased the gas and attempted to downshift but it was the same thing in each gear eventually i reached the top. i was at 20 mph and down shifted to second and it caught i worked my way back to 5th and then hit another incline where it did the same thing. eventually i made my way back to town where i came to a stop light and could smell the clutch cooking. i then took off in first shifted to second but when it was time to go to third the motor just continued to rev up with no acceleration. so i pulled over checked my fluids everything was fine. i was sure it was the clutch but then today my friend who was helping explained that the lack of pressure was due to something else so i started my research once again and found that me being able to shift between gears and not hold the clutch in could be due to my slave cylinder being bad so we inspected it and there were no leaks and we then attempted to bleed the system but the fluid just flowed out not spew like it has for any other clutch system ive bled. now i dont know if its normal or not this is my first bmw attempting to diagnose. so i ordered a new slave cylinder and it will be in tomorrow. the thing is i just went out to tighten up the shifter in my fiances 2000 bmw and while tightening it up her shifter shifted into any gear just like mine so i feel like my friend may have been wrong of his diagnosis. although mine shifts the same way with the car running and there is pressure on the clutch it doesnt feel like much cause im used to a tighter clutch set up but i pushed on my buddies and realized his was just as soft so i may have been wrong in thinking there was no tension. but im inexperienced in this aspect and he is too when it comes to a bmw so any insight would be helpful in locating the source before i pay for anymore parts i do not indeed need.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Bimmer App
Ads by Google