Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: X5, 750il
Hey bigugly - have you dug into the roof before? Just wondering.....
Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Dr.BMW

Mein Auto: Fastest M3 in Tx
yes. probably rebuilt 50+ of them. 3,5,x3,x5's....
Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 AM

Excellent, that said maybe you can shed some light on the alignment of the front carrier with the tab and the rear glass carrier with the channel in terms of the pressure exerted on the tab when retracting the rear glass from the vent position. When that carrier is moving to the rear to get the glass to go down flush, are there any gems you can pass along? That seems to me to be the main failure point since it seems like it's really relying on friction to keep the triangle portion of the rear carrier (the part everyone cuts off after they give up and resign to not having the rear glass vent) align with the front carrier. Perhaps you can post some pics/video on how the alignment of those crucial pieces comes into play for a successful repair of these components? TIA if you can.....

Sean
Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Dr.BMW

Mein Auto: Fastest M3 in Tx
Wile I would love to go into detail like that, it isn't cost effective for me to spend that type of time to type it out for the very select few who attempt to do this.

I rebuild the entire cassette when it comes out. No less. All the kits get installed. It doesn't help me to try and cheap it out when I have to fix it the second time.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM

How about a video, to cover the ole' "picture is worth a 1000 words" mantra? Sounds like you must be a tech, given you've done so many of these.