Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
Decided that it wasn't a fair test to try the +4 plugs with the pre-cat O2 sensor leads reversed. Switched the leads and reinstalled the +4's this morning and the car started, reached proper idle and ran fantastic. No misfires, no CEL and great power. Smooth and strong acceleration. I'm going to leave them in. Is it safe to assume that if I am not getting any post-cat O2 sensor codes, I shouldn't worry about changing them out also? Have about 3/4 tank of fuel with SeaFoam in it I have to finish off so I have some time left before retesting.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:07 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
well, still not a fan of the +4's, but if you are not getting any issues, try it. report back on the long term effects of these plugs...

df
Old 11-18-2012, 08:06 PM
BMW=Expensive VW Bug

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328i
I just had all my plugs replaced by my BMW Mechanic for all kinds of fault CEL codes. He showed me the old plugs which had about 75K miles on them. Car now runs great but I forgot to ask him what brand plugs he used to replace the old ones.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 M3
I'm going through the exact same issue but I barely failed my 2nd time. I replaced the cats, oil/filter and coolant. I still need to replace the plugs(ngks) and air filter. I'm also replacing the small vac lines and the vacuum control valve(electric). I'm looking into the egr valve also.

It would really be frustrating if I failed a 3rd time...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Bimmer App
Old 11-20-2012, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: e39 540i , E36 328i
I would have done the o2's before I changed the cats out. (Ouch!! I know cats are expencive)
Old 11-20-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingin96 View Post
(Ouch!! I know cats are expencive)
ao is guessing....

df
Old 11-21-2012, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 97 M3
I did replace them but it was long before I replaced these other parts.
Cats are very expensive in cali. Luckily I found a guy who sold me good cats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Bimmer App
Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM

Question

Sorry it took so long to post the progress. Finally got the car retested. Ran a can of SeaFoam through and then two more tanks of Chevron 91, ran it for about 20 mins. on the freeway and then took it to the smog check shop and kept it running until it was tested. IT PASSED! NOx numbers were reduced and HC was reduced at 15 mph to the max allowable.

One question: Both HC numbers were at the max allowable and I tried just about everything I could to reduce them. I was successful with the 15 mph reading but didn;t budget the 25 mph reading. Should I expect to be able to reduce them any more with this car? Will I face having to meet even lower numbers next time or will this be as low as I need to get them?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 PM

probably not. you'll probably be visiting this for the next smog check....max allowable is just that, max allowable.

i would look into getting a cat efficiency test done to see how well it is working. also verify the signals into the dme from the maf, tps, coolant. do a volttage drop to the circuits as well.

if the data coming in is within spec, and the controls are being controlled properly, then the only other variable woul be the cat itself to reduce emissions.

df
Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 PM

Sounds like if any of those signals are out of spec I should be getting a CEL. Is that not the case? If not, what's a good resource for what those signals should measure out to and how to measure them? Haven't changed the post-cat O2 sensors. Would changing those out help? And this may be a noob question but I understood the cat only really helps with NOx emissions. Is that correct?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 PM

no, cats reduce co, hc, and nox. the nox is reduced first, then the hc and co.

cats can be checked for o2 retention as well as co reduction.

df