Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 545
545 Purchase Questions

New to this forum and looking for any helpful info for buying 2004 545 with 70,000 miles. I have had a 94 540 in past, but this is a lot newer and different. Looking forward to get back in a 5 series V8. I know there are some gasket and throttle problems, which hopefully is fixed by now. Of course good maintenance is a must. Other than that, is it still a good investment that could last another 60,000, 100,000 or more miles with any major expenditures like tearing into the engine, transmission rebuild or suspension components.

Thanks

Last edited by DVUS1; 11-16-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 PM

Anyone have any comments on a 545? Or a 5 series with the sport suspension? Just looking for anything before I check it out at the dealer. The one i am looking is a 2004, auto, sport suspension, with 60,000 miles, 2 owners and car fax is good with all service done at a BMW dealer.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Should be a good vehicle to pick up. Be sure to cut your oil change intervals in half as the v8s are susceptible to valve stem seal problems and burning oil. What are the specs and options?

Others:
2006 Corvette Conv, Z51,6sp (wife)
2007 Honda CBR1000RR Sold
2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (wife) Sold

Old 11-16-2012, 08:09 PM

http://www.bmwofreading.com/detail-2...d-9588031.html

Thanks Jim. I used to live in Germany in the 2000's and was in the loop with BMWs. Since then I have been out of the forums, what's what and it seems like the quality of cars has suffered. We bought a 2008 Camry V6 and it has been problems and my wife and I really miss owning a BMW. So back we go. I have heard of 7-8K changes and the transmission surges!but only random other issues with seals. Either way I am willing to pay a little more for maintaince and upkeep. I also have mechanic skills, so I can do some stuff too.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVUS1 View Post
http://www.bmwofreading.com/detail-2...d-9588031.html

Thanks Jim. I used to live in Germany in the 2000's and was in the loop with BMWs. Since then I have been out of the forums, what's what and it seems like the quality of cars has suffered. We bought a 2008 Camry V6 and it has been problems and my wife and I really miss owning a BMW. So back we go. I have heard of 7-8K changes and the transmission surges!but only random other issues with seals. Either way I am willing to pay a little more for maintaince and upkeep. I also have mechanic skills, so I can do some stuff too.
Finally someone doesn't over hypes japanese cars reliability . . .
Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 PM
BMW Master Wannabe

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
I have a 2005 545 and it is pure fun to drive, but there are the normal engine gasket issues you have to change every 50K or so. At 50K I also had the transmission flushed with BG system. Replaced the filter/fluid pan and new tranny oil. That cleaned up some of the harsh shifting, but occasionally I'll get the BAM/kick in the rear and a hesitating shift between gears. If it gets worse I'll eventually replace the solenoids in the mechatronic or replace the mechatronic altogether with a rebuilt one. A dealer misdiagnosis forced me to install a brand new Bosch starter so I am good for another 10+ years on that.

Some folks have made it longer on Valve cover and timing chain cover gaskets, buy my car is 8 years old and only 50k miles. I think the previous owner followed BMW fluid intervals. I prefer to change out the fluids in half the time that BMW recommends. This is better for the gaskets and for general wear on the engine. I do most of the work on my car, except the computer and electrical. I am interested in getting started on the programming and interface to the DME and other modules to learn more about that aspect of the car. My wife doesn't get into the upkeep as much I a do, but I do know how to stretch a buck when it comes to the maint on the car.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 PM

So after consideration, searching forums and a budget, I settled on that BMW. 1 owner, good service records, all service at the dealer and 48,000 miles. Drove like a dream too; if I could find a 535 or 550 I would have bought that. There were very slim pickings on those and a little over budget. So I will just keep the fluids fresh and save for the coolant and gasket replacements and hope for the best. I can do most of the work, so that should help the budget. Hopefully I have a good run with this. It's a awesome car and a dream to drive too. Thanks for the inputs.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Congrats on the purchase, man. I'm sure its going to be a great car and serve you well.

Others:
2006 Corvette Conv, Z51,6sp (wife)
2007 Honda CBR1000RR Sold
2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (wife) Sold

Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 545
I am new to this forum too, but since my 98 528 with 150k miles got banged up (not me driving) I used it as an excuse to purchase 04 545 with 58k miles, but I was unanwer of these forums so had no real idea. If I hade read some of these posts on the 545 I probablly would not have bought it. Now I have had a chance to drive the car for a couple of weeks, i am glad I got it. It is a treat to drive and I'm getting 21mpg. Now from this forum I know there is probably more maintenance to do on this model than others, but I too am hoping for another bunch of fun miles from my new car.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the replies. We are still waiting for it due twosome dealer miscommunications. We were told to have the check sent from our bank and give them a bank promise letter stating the checks in the mail. We did that, but apparently they actually needed the money in their account or check in hand. What a mess. But during their vehicle inspection they didn't like the tires, so they are putting a new set on, updating the software/reprogramming and replacing a broken headlamp washer cover. We are impatiently waiting for the checks to get there and a our car home.

Frustrating as hell, but as long as everything is being taken care of. I have done some research on the the gaskets and it sounds like the main reason is that it runs hot and the oil doesn't get changed enough. I guess I will see what I can prevent with 7000 oil changes and some good Castrol oil.

With low miles, I have high hope I can prevent some pain and $$$$$$.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
I too have a 05 545. the car does have its issues like the alternator bracket,which i just went thru, and the cooling pipe leak issue. so far so good on that one, mine has not leaked at this time with 90,000. But i do have to say once you take it out on a long winding road you will defitnatly fall in love with this car.. the handeling is superb
Old 11-24-2012, 09:54 PM

I forgot to mention there is three recalls that i know of that u should have addressed b fore u take the car home... 1) is a hose from the vacume pump that is across the front of the engine routes across the driver side and to the brake master cylinder.. 2nd) the positive cable connector underneath the trunk matt behind the rear seat.. 3rd) the passenger seat sensor.
Make sure all have been taken care of to avoid a trip to the dealer...
Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 AM
BMW Master Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVUS1 View Post
I guess I will see what I can prevent with 7000 oil changes and some good Castrol oil.

With low miles, I have high hope I can prevent some pain and $$$$$$.
There are other hardcore enthusiasts that recommend the Made in Germany European Castrol Edge w/SPT 0W30. I read on this forum that this oil handles the heat better than the BMW oil, which Castrol also makes. Right now AutoZone has the Made in Germany in single Quart containers on special. You'll need 8.5 quarts for an oil change so go ahead and buy 2 of the oil specials (2 x 5 qts.) and stick one on the shelf. BMW recommends every 15K miles, but I would stick with 7500. That way when your counter on the iDrive screen gets to 7500 remaining, you'll know it is time for the next one. Then reset the counter on the 2nd oil change back to 15K miles. Just my 2 cents. You are going to have a blast with this car. Just use the forum for advice and guidance before you do anything major. Always best to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

Drive the Machine.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM

HF, I will check into the recalls and remember how much I enjoyed my 540 and can only imagine how much better this will be.
Racooper, that's exactly my plan for the oil and change cycle; thanks! I was wanted a little thicker oil especially in the winter to keep things cooler and hopefully preserve the gaskets from leaking. I guess Autozone has the Mann oil filters too. I definitely will lean this forum for any advice and questions before I dig into her. I have a few independent BMW repair shops I am looking into here in Southern NJ for anything I can't handle. The car will be here tomorrow and I still can't drive it; I am out of town until this Friday. Errrrrr!!

Thanks again for all the support and advice. When I get home I will send some pics and updates
Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 PM

It would b nice if the recalls have been fixed. Another thing is u said they put a new set of tires, would b a good idea to have them do an alignment as well. New tires and an alignment go together..
Old 11-27-2012, 03:42 AM

Mein Auto: 05 545i
545i

I got mine in April 2012 and it's one of the best buys I ever did. Even after ready so many horror stories on this board and others, I did my research, got a warranty with it and this car is so much fun to drive. No only do you get the comfort of a sports sedan, it's a blast to drive on back curvy roads.

I did take few things from all these boards, make sure all the maintenance is up to date. I now have 69500 miles on mine and change your oil every 7500.

Enjoy and post pics when you get it.

jjp
Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 PM

No pics yet, but the car is home! Good news is it passed PA inspection and the dealer did $4500 of fixes! New water pump, O rings, return pipe, lower hose, return hose, temp sender, rad flush, brake flush, tires, alignment, wipers, cabin filter, oil change, steering angle sensor, some steering switch, and a couple other things. They put on new tires and alignment too, bad news is the tires are OE Potenza run flats and they told my wife there were all season. Tire ride rough and are not all weather for this winter. But, they are new tires so I can't complain to bad I guess. Also the active steering light came on at the dealership, went off by the time my wife left. I think it just had to reset from the work that was done. Has stayed off and the dealer said they will pay to have a closer dealer look at it if we want. My wife just wanted to leave the dealer and not mess with it. The paperwork said the rear brakes need to be done in the future too, but I am ok with that. I will do the work and ceramic pads. Other than that I am a happy camper! I just have to get home and drive her!

Last edited by DVUS1; 11-27-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 PM
BMW Master Wannabe

Drive the Machine and she'll love you back. Great ride. My previous owner lowered the car 1 inch and the center of gravity is very low. Car drives in turns like it is on rails. I love my Daily drive. I just drove 500 miles one way in 6.5 hours. 3/4s on I75 and the rest on county/state roads. Very fun drive with no traffic. All the cops were asleep past 10pm.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Nothing against 5 series guys here but I have found better info on the n62 on the 7 series side of the forums.I think since the 745 with the n62 came out first they have researched and diagnosed this engines problems sooner.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 PM

I am thinking of purchasing a wrecked 545i. It is a 2005 with 149k miles on it. The only damage appears to be the hood, front head light, maybe radiator and the air bag deployed. I'm new to the forum and have never owned a BMW. My question is this, is this a worthwhile purchase if I can get it for under $7,000?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:39 AM

Read faults out and see if over heated.Look for oil leaking everywhere.Im sure body panels are very high since most pieces are aluminum.That being said a local rebuild shop listed a e60 528i here with 90k for 12k and he said he got tired of answering the phone about it .
Old 11-29-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
Read faults out and see if over heated.Look for oil leaking everywhere.Im sure body panels are very high since most pieces are aluminum.That being said a local rebuild shop listed a e60 528i here with 90k for 12k and he said he got tired of answering the phone about it .
Thank you. I am going to take look at it after work tonight. The car looks great except for the damage from the accident. I have a mechanic and body guy who can inspect it good for me to for all the things that you mention.