Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: E65 760i
DAB question

Hello guys
I've bought a genuine BMW dab tuner but can't see how it fits. Does it connect to my existing tuner? It's a 2006 dab unit but my car is a 2003. realOEM said the part is up to 2007 but there was no start date listed. will it still fit/ can I get an adaptor harness?
Thanks
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw745li
What is a dab tuner?

Sent from my R800at using Bimmer App
Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 PM

It's a radio tuner for digital radio channels instead of fm and am
Old 11-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 760li
dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil760 View Post
It's a radio tuner for digital radio channels instead of fm and am
will not fit
Old 11-24-2012, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i Sport
Phil

I was considering doing the same to my 2003 E66. 2 things to consider, 1st the pre facelift MMI does not support DAB, but I have retrofitted an MMI from a September 2006 car to enable bluetooth support for my iphone, but it also does support DAB. 2nd, the pre facelift doesn't have the wiring loom in the boot but I reckon its possible to create an extra loop for the fibre optic connection to the DAB tuner unit. The bit I haven't worked out yet is providing power, which can be spurred from another supply, and then the rest of the cable connections for communication back to the MMI and or ASK unit (which also may need upgrading to post facelift).

Either need to look at a post facelift car that has DAB fitted and trace the wires, or I have tried to gleen information from the US Sirius adapter which works on a similar principle and is fitted in the boot next to the TV tuner in the same way. There are some retrofit threads for that, but they already have the cabling and don't go into detail of what connections/pinouts are required.

Someone with a bit more tech know how would need to give it a go.
I have had some form of DAB in my cars for the last 8 or 9 years,
I currently use the Pure Highway DAB receiver but this then transmits an FM signal that I tune the car into, so some loss of quality.

When someone has worked it, i'll be buying a BMW DAB tuner for my car too.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:26 PM

So I did a bit more reading .........

Found the retrofit instructions for Sirius
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/j...rius%20Sat.pdf

If the DAB tuner connects in the same way, other than the fibre connection which is easy done (buy the bits and make your own, or buy a MOST cable harness for about 15) and the antenna connection, there isn't any other connections to the MMI or ASK unit, just a power connection.

I will need to check my antenna amplifier which already supports my TV module but will probably need to be upgraded to an 868MHZ for the DAB, might explain why my digital TV retrofit only picks up a few channels and not very strong.

You'll also need the correct connector for the DAB tuner if it didnt come connected already and then your done.

Of course this is all theoretical but the DAB unit must be a dumb module that just outputs the audio on the MOST bus, a bit like the TV module. There is a DAB module in ncsexpert but the only entry is for ECE (Europe) or Canada.

Anyone want to chip in with the Sirius or DAB cable connections/pinouts feel free.

Not entirely sure how you access the stations from the MMI but probably a logical explanation, anyone with a Sirius tuner care to explain how you select channels?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Hi BSOD,

I am looking at retrofitting the DAB in my E65, eBay prices are a little steep at the moment!

Your right, to retrofit you just need to break into the fibre loop, wire into the supply for the TV module and install the new DAB roof antenna (which is part of the 'shark fin' GSM, GPS and DAB) I recently retrofitted the voice control by modifying the CD changer retrofit harness (the voice control retrofit harness is now discontinued).

You will obviously need to code the MMI for the DAB function, I assume choosing stations is the same as the FM, iPod and TV menus etc...

Stuart
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 AM

Stuart

I coded the MMI at the weekend and now have DAB on my menu

The prices on eBay do seem well inflated at the moment. Lets hope we're not bidding for the same item in the future.

I read the bluetooth retrofit thread ( took me hours ) that you completed, and have taken inspiration to do my own. Still looking for the right module though which seems to be thin on the ground! The part number described in the thread is yet to found but excellent thread none the less.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM

BSOD,

Nice work, I havent tried coding that yet, does it just show up as DAB under FM AM etc...

Yeah there was on on there a few months back BIN for 150! wish i snapped it up! they go anywhere between 200-300 now. Luckily though i think there are two part numbers and they are used on over 90% of the model range

Yeah the bluetooth thread is huge, Some good contributions on there, it did go a litte off subject with us having issues coding the MMI's! and me frying my light module lol!

Finding the right TCU can be a challenge! Luckily one popped up and I got it for 70. It was for an E61 so its mounted upside down in my car as the connectors are on opposite sides. It works great though, one of the best upgrades, I have also fitted the genuine iPod kit which is fantastic for 150 compared to the expensive aftermarket options. The digital TV upgrade is also good, just keeping my eye out for the DVD changer! After I've sorted the engine out though!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM

The DAB item appears in the media devices list with fm am cd CDC TV etc, of course doesn't show anything under that menu item but guess it would just give station listings like am and fm.

The are 2 DAB entries in the MMI module i enabled the dab_ece but nothing happened so also enabled Dab entry and voila

Guess dab on its own is US satellite radio and both options for Europe.

Another retrofit I'd like to do would be the flippen_flappen_looken_backen or folding mirrors in English.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:50 PM

HA HA! I like it!

Yeah thats right, both need to be enabled. I have seen US menus showing 'SAT' thats why I asked, the iPod retrofit still shows CDC in the menu which is a shame!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 PM

I know we're off topic now but I think we answered the original question, but with the iPod retrofit can I assume that this also works with an iPhone?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 AM

We have a little! To recap though, buy the CD changer retrofit harness, it uses the same connector as the DAB module, you just need to get an aftermarket DAB antenna or change the roof antenna.

Yes the iPod kit works with my iPhone 4S but it won't charge it.

Stuart
Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 PM

YeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Done it !!!

Purchased a DAB module off ebay 40 pre release with no version info on it, Flashed it with latest firmware. Unplugged and removed CDC, removed pin 3 (i think) which is for lighting from connector and plugged DAB module into CDC connector. plugged in halfords DAB arial that i purchased, selected DAB on the MMI screen .............. Nothing.

That was about 3 months ago, wasnt sure if I had purchased a duff DAB module, so stewed on it.

Beggining of the week some guy puts an ASK unit (facelift version, no more details) on ebay, rang him up, he said he has 3 of em (be quick if you want one), I asked for the date stamps on them and if he had the wood surround to match, newest was a 2008 model, I said i'll have it for 100 with the wood surround. paid my money and it turned up this morning, took it to work with me and swapped it over this evening before driving home .............. Nothing.

Discovered the radio also isn't working and ended up listening to a CD all the way home.

Got home, reset the ASK module to defaults with blank .man file, radio still not working, but hold on a second, i didn't select TUNE for the DAB, there it was, selected autostore and a few minutes later dozens and dozens of stations appeared

and hey flippin presto DAB !!!

So if you want to just retrofit DAB in your E65/E66 it's a bit pricey, facelift MMI, ASK and DAB module required, but if your doing/done the bluetooth retrofit, want a better MMI display for the NAV and want aux for your iPOD your half way there already.

Points to note,
Need to add $654 to FA in ncsexpert.
All DAB modules for any BMW series are the same so buy any old one and flash it with latest firmware using winkfp
Post september 06 MMI module to support DAB (and bluetooth)
Post 2006 ASK module (there are 2 versions, one which supports rear MMI as well) which supports DAB, Post 2006 if you want aux as well, I also have MP3 CD player now but don't know when that came into effect..
Everything I read on any forum and some very techy BMW MOST Bus documentation suggest that the devices have to go in order on the MOST BUS, well NO they don't.
When doing the ASK upgrade, need to change a setting which mentions ab0905 which is to do with the antenna being before or after 0905. There is another thread with this info in.
You do need to remove the lighting connection on pin 3 of the CDC connector otherwise you end up shorting all the low level led lighting, (like I did) Still not got round to finding out which fuse it is.
Did find an article about dab retrofit for a 3 series which said need to move pin 2 to pin 3 but having dismantled the DAB module to remove the antenna connectors cover which got in the way, i noticed that pin 2, 3 and 4 are all joined anyway.

Well chuffed, I love DAB. well worth the money.
E65 / E66 DAB retrofit, Done

Last edited by BSOD; 03-14-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:28 AM

Do you have the guy's details with the remaining ASK units?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSOD View Post

YeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Done it !!!

Purchased a DAB module off ebay 40 pre release with no version info on it, Flashed it with latest firmware. Unplugged and removed CDC, removed pin 3 (i think) which is for lighting from connector and plugged DAB module into CDC connector. plugged in halfords DAB arial that i purchased, selected DAB on the MMI screen .............. Nothing.

That was about 3 months ago, wasnt sure if I had purchased a duff DAB module, so stewed on it.

Beggining of the week some guy puts an ASK unit (facelift version, no more details) on ebay, rang him up, he said he has 3 of em (be quick if you want one), I asked for the date stamps on them and if he had the wood surround to match, newest was a 2008 model, I said i'll have it for 100 with the wood surround. paid my money and it turned up this morning, took it to work with me and swapped it over this evening before driving home .............. Nothing.

Discovered the radio also isn't working and ended up listening to a CD all the way home.

Got home, reset the ASK module to defaults with blank .man file, radio still not working, but hold on a second, i didn't select TUNE for the DAB, there it was, selected autostore and a few minutes later dozens and dozens of stations appeared

and hey flippin presto DAB !!!

So if you want to just retrofit DAB in your E65/E66 it's a bit pricey, facelift MMI, ASK and DAB module required, but if your doing/done the bluetooth retrofit, want a better MMI display for the NAV and want aux for your iPOD your half way there already.

Points to note,
Need to add $654 to FA in ncsexpert.
All DAB modules for any BMW series are the same so buy any old one and flash it with latest firmware using winkfp
Post september 06 MMI module to support DAB (and bluetooth)
Post 2006 ASK module (there are 2 versions, one which supports rear MMI as well) which supports DAB, Post 2006 if you want aux as well, I also have MP3 CD player now but don't know when that came into effect..
Everything I read on any forum and some very techy BMW MOST Bus documentation suggest that the devices have to go in order on the MOST BUS, well NO they don't.
When doing the ASK upgrade, need to change a setting which mentions ab0905 which is to do with the antenna being before or after 0905. There is another thread with this info in.
You do need to remove the lighting connection on pin 3 of the CDC connector otherwise you end up shorting all the low level led lighting, (like I did) Still not got round to finding out which fuse it is.
Did find an article about dab retrofit for a 3 series which said need to move pin 2 to pin 3 but having dismantled the DAB module to remove the antenna connectors cover which got in the way, i noticed that pin 2, 3 and 4 are all joined anyway.

Well chuffed, I love DAB. well worth the money.
E65 / E66 DAB retrofit, Done
Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 AM

MMI question

Quote:
Do you have the guy's details with the remaining ASK units?

Thanks
Further to my last, I bought a facelift mmi from a 2007 car. However there is a sticker on the black plastic back which says 1659 31.01.05 and the Harman/Becker sticker on the back of the unit says. KW:08/05

Will this work for DAB?

Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 AM

It seems that Dab was only introduced on the September 2006 facelift models, so I suspect the MMI and ASK need to be at least 09/06 although the DAB module was available for other BMW models back to approx 2003/2004

The guy on ebay is called kllautos, there is a phone number on his ad so give him a call.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 AM

Thanks very much for the reply. How can I tell if mmi will accept dab? Is there an easy test?

Thanks again
Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 AM

Sorry to be a total pain but do kllautos have anything advertised at the moment as I cannot find anything when searching on name

Thanks very much

Phil
Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Further to my last, I bought a facelift mmi from a 2007 car. However there is a sticker on the black plastic back which says 1659 31.01.05 and the Harman/Becker sticker on the back of the unit says. KW:08/05

Will this work for DAB?

Thanks
What exactly does the label say? "ZB Control Display 8.8 SP1" or "ZB LCD mitt MMI 8.8"?

As far as I'm aware the latter in the pre-facelift

You may be lucky, any facelift MMI can be coded to work with DAB, worst case it will need re-programming with the latest software using WinKFP, it is highly likely that the MMI would have had a software update during the time it was in its original vehicle, i think the last software update was around 2009.

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 04-03-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 AM

There is a date code on the label of the ASK and the MMI, it shows week/year of manufacture, so anything with at least 38/06 will be post facelift.

Also kllautos number is 07970086608 they are located in Ilford

Last edited by BSOD; 04-04-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:42 AM

DAB retrofit

Great write up on the DAB retrofit. I am waiting for an iPod kit which works via CDC. I read you could connect DAB via tv most. Is it possible to have iPod, tv and dab all working together?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2013, 01:17 PM

yeah no problem at all. I have the TV module in the boot as well. The DAB module actually should go in the boot, you can buy a bracket from BMW for cheap to fit the DAB module in front of the TV module. I decided to remove the CDC and install the DAB module in the space it left as the connector is the same, and ran the aerial cable to a small mag mount from Halfords on to the roof. If you fit the DAB in the boot you will still need a mag mount unless you also upgrade the shark fin which i decided wasn't worth the cost and potential of messing up the seal of the fin on the roof. You would also need extra fibre to plumb the DAB module into the MOST loop and then fudge a connector into the power.
Recently done the bluetooth retrofit and now looking at how to link my iphone for music streaming instead of ipod module. All forums suggest cant be done, but cant understand why my bluetooth module has the a2dp_audio_streaming setting when reading it with ncsexpert.
Still stewing on that one but will let everyone know if I have a moment of inspiration.
BTW the wiffey has a Z4 2006 and sat in that earlier today, without realising my phone had connected to her bluetooth and my google maps nav voice started coming out of the speaker, also the screen display changed as if i were making a call, so will have to check if the same occurs on my car now and hopefully give me inspiration for music streaming ideas. Apparently it has been done but only if you jail break your iphone.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: e65 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSOD View Post
yeah no problem at all. I have the TV module in the boot as well. The DAB module actually should go in the boot, you can buy a bracket from BMW for cheap to fit the DAB module in front of the TV module. I decided to remove the CDC and install the DAB module in the space it left as the connector is the same, and ran the aerial cable to a small mag mount from Halfords on to the roof. If you fit the DAB in the boot you will still need a mag mount unless you also upgrade the shark fin which i decided wasn't worth the cost and potential of messing up the seal of the fin on the roof. You would also need extra fibre to plumb the DAB module into the MOST loop and then fudge a connector into the power.
Recently done the bluetooth retrofit and now looking at how to link my iphone for music streaming instead of ipod module. All forums suggest cant be done, but cant understand why my bluetooth module has the a2dp_audio_streaming setting when reading it with ncsexpert.
Still stewing on that one but will let everyone know if I have a moment of inspiration.
BTW the wiffey has a Z4 2006 and sat in that earlier today, without realising my phone had connected to her bluetooth and my google maps nav voice started coming out of the speaker, also the screen display changed as if i were making a call, so will have to check if the same occurs on my car now and hopefully give me inspiration for music streaming ideas. Apparently it has been done but only if you jail break your iphone.
i seen that myself when i done the bluetooth myself
Old 05-04-2013, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the reply. I saw another report about how to get power from the tv wiring, but how do you connect the fibre cable? What does it connect to?

I have just fitted facelift mmi and ask and am waiting for iPod kit. I'm also hoping to get a Bluetooth tcu but then the fun will start as I have never coded anything before.