Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: E60 530i
Unhappy 06 530i Weird overheating issue

Well over the past week or so on cool mornings, I've been getting the engine temp too high drive moderately or the stop engine too hot. Also the heat won't work on the days this happens and it only happens when it's cooler, hot days sitting in traffic it's fine. If I turn off the car wait a couple of minutes then turn it back on the heat will work and it won't overheat for the rest of my drive. I pulled up the secrete menu so I could watch the temp, and sure enough it never stopped climbing. The fan works, and if you open the coolant tank there's plenty of coolant and you can see the water flowing in and hear the pump running. Is this the thermostat or maybe a faulty water valve in the heating system causing this? Going to the stealership Thursday to have the battery recall done and this issue looked at, but I'd like to know if anybody has any ideas so they don't completely rip me off. And yes I did a search but it seemed the other problems were bad fans, water pump, and they didn't seem to have weird circumstances like mine.

WAR EAGLE!!!
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Tail out!

Mein Auto: BMW
A faulty coolant / heater valve won't cause overheating. Your thermostat needs to be replaced, within all likelyhood.

While your in there, check all hose connections, bleed screws, integrety of your reservoir as well as the side tanks on your radiator. Replace the cap if it hasn't been replaced- these slowly loose pressure holding ability over time and degrade the overall cooling performance.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Hi, just wanted to follow up and see what this issue turned out to be. The exact same things are occuring with me as of the other day. We've had two very cold mornings and it happens at the start of a trip but goes away. Seems like it's the thermostat and/or the water pump. Thanks
Old 11-21-2012, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 530i
same thing happened to me 07 530i 96000 miles, replaced electric water pump (electric), thermostat, (wahler Brand), 2 gals coolant (original BMW) and serpentine belt, did it myself and up and running..