Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-19-2012, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 325is
Fun with AZ emissions

A Craigslist crook suckered me for 1400 for this '93 325is a few weeks ago. I sure hope he made a profit! As for me, well... Not so much.
Lessee, I had to pass emissions to get the title and plates but I couldn't go to emissions because the car had already gone through it's allotted 3 trip permits this year. So I took my chances and no, it didn't pass.
So I replaced the cat, muffler, o2, put in iridium plugs, cleaned the maf, the icv, fixed a couple hoses.. Went back to emissions, it did worse than before.
Out of options, I decided to just get a waiver, since I'd already spent more than the minimum 450 trying to fix it. Today I was able to sweet talk the DMV lady into a 3 day trip permit. At the waiver testing, it was more than twice the allowed limit, so no waiver. No wavier, no title, no plates, no freaking idea.

The car pulls code 1222 - Air/fuel mix.. Most likely a vacuum hose. It runs like it's missing on one cylinder. It smell like gas. At one point I took all the plugs out and cranked the engine (when I was testing the coils and plugs) then when it was all back together It started up and ran like a champ. I drove it to emissions, 10 miles away, and about a mile away from the place it started it's crap again.

So I just took it to a mechanic and told him to figure it out.
I'm screwed. Thanks, Craigslist!
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
So you bought a car without knowing much about them, did no research, didn't get a PPI, yet somehow it's both the fault of Craigslist and the PO?

EDIT:

Not to come down hard on you, but c'mon man. Take at least a little responsibility.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?

Last edited by jonesin; 11-19-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 PM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
And this guy gets no help. Guess you really are out of opinions.

Wait: where'd his other comment go? The one where he told Ed to F off.
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)

Last edited by TheFinanceGuy; 11-19-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Dude buys $1400 BMW and expects it to run...

Any idea what else is full of fail?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 11-19-2012, 07:22 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
well, i paid less than that for mine, when i got it, but i also worked on cars for 15 years as well....

anyway, to the op, if you purchased the car in this condition and then put all of these parts into it, without any sort of diagnostic proceedure other than guessing, then i really don't know what else to say.

however, without specs, there is little to know way i could even come close to giving you any sort of diagnostics on this.

throwing parts at it apparently has not worked.

so, backup and punt.

we'll start with the following...

what were the emissions readings?? what are the specs??

what were the readings at the second test??

was the cat an oe unit, or generic replacement??

iridium plugs pretty much are a waste in a daily driver.

do you have a vacuum guage?? what does the guage read @ idle??

df
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: 94 325 IS
I got my 94 for 500 buck from i guy that was leaving the state all i did was plugs oil change and a coil, so you can buy a car for cheap and it run great mine is not perfect by no means. I also used to work on cars (Toyota) for 6 1/2 years before i joined the service but i agree with- drivinfasters - post on what the cords are saying and what the vac is like at idle and on the cat, i know i have change more than a fair share and a lot of times if its not the O.E it will not clean as well. other than that i dont know what to tell you except good luck man. just let us know what you find out
Old 11-20-2012, 05:25 AM
OBDI Junkie

Mein Auto: E36 M3
This doesn't make any sense. post all your numbers and exact parts replaced. I have a '95 with a stock cat, modified (see album)- and PASS with less than half allowance.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93az325is View Post
A Craigslist crook suckered me for 1400 for this '93 325is a few weeks ago. I sure hope he made a profit! As for me, well... Not so much.

So I just took it to a mechanic and told him to figure it out.
I'm screwed. Thanks, Craigslist!
Ahh so you are the one who bought that 93 is? Why is he a crook? Here in Phoenix AZ, if the car runs it is $1000 and more even for totaly thrashed junk. If the car does not run it is $700 minimum. Here in HOT Phoenix people overheat these engines, and that one you bought was overheated, cracked head, missfire. Engine is junk.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
It seems many comments in this thread were removed. Anyway, back on topic: Check all the intake hoses. Sometimes the boot before the throttle body will have a small crack in it that can cause it to run weird.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 11-20-2012, 10:57 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
It seems many comments in this thread were removed. Anyway, back on topic: Check all the intake hoses. Sometimes the boot before the throttle body will have a small crack in it that can cause it to run weird.
Nope, not that I can see. This is exactly the info I read in this thread when it was posted.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Need Some Low

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
Nope, not that I can see. This is exactly the info I read in this thread when it was posted.
The op threw an F at you. Maybe he thought you were being a prick or something. If your feelings are hurt we can start a support group

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
Ahh so you are the one who bought that 93 is? Why is he a crook? Here in Phoenix AZ, if the car runs it is $1000 and more even for totaly thrashed junk. If the car does not run it is $700 minimum. Here in HOT Phoenix people overheat these engines, and that one you bought was overheated, cracked head, missfire. Engine is junk.
i wish i had this kind of diag kilz, yo...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnserioJose View Post
The op threw an F at you. Maybe he thought you were being a prick or something. If your feelings are hurt we can start a support group

df
Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 1993 325is
Well, my suspension's over, so I can add that I diagnosed and replaced the #4 coil pack and the car runs great. I passed emissions and got it licensed. To the guy who wished I had a cracked head- Thanks so much for the words of encouragement.