Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-17-2012, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
miss fire

Hi Everyone ... Can a weak battery throw misfire codes in a 2000 540i ?White smoke is seen too early in morning but sometimes only..one it didnt start n when i got a jump it smoked.. one mechanic say it can especially early in the morning ..Any advice on this ? another said coolant leak, another said valve seals, car did a full tune up all dealer parts in june .. this only happens once in a while
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Waek battery maybe--my first bet would be Vacuum leaks--how the fuel mileage and engines power doing out on the road--if both are down--bet you have a vac leak somewhere
Old 11-18-2012, 03:25 PM

thanks..the power not too bad but, today i went under n checked the catalytic converters , the left rear driver side sounds bad inside when i tap it ...can that cause enough back pressure to cause that...it did throw a calalitic code too ,since i have all brand new bosch sensors too...it was at bmw dealer few month back for complete diagnostics and they found a vacume line cracked after doing a smoked test it was replaced tho...can it be a new one?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Clogged cats can cause misfires, but they are generally random multiple misfires on the bank with the clogged cat.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 PM

Ok Thanks allot I think that is exactly what's going on ....the computer did say random misfire and today no smoke and very little engine shake ..its crazy...i'm gonna change the cheapest cat in the failed bank first ...the one thats broken inside isbank 2 rear ( driver side) crossing my fingers it solves the problem and i don't need to change the front one
Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
If it has power at all and drives OK out on the road--it isn't a cat that's the problem--a cat will let the car go only so fast and then feel like the car is surging--check out for vac leaks first--they can cause the very problem you experiencing
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 PM

ok thanks ...will do
Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
check out for vac leaks first--
For misfires, look here ...
- How to diagnose a BMW E39 engine misfire (1)
Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Found a leak at the throttle body gasket ,,thanks guys .. will change it and let you know how she runs