Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5 4.6iS
Pairing iPhone 4S to 2003 X5 4.6iS... Help!

I am just getting around to trying to pair my iPhone with my X5. I turned on the bluetooth on my phone and it detected my car right away, but when I tried to 'connect', the phone says "make sure the BMW is in range or is turned on"- I was sitting in the running car, so obviously I have an issue somewhere else. I looked through the manual, but it says to refer to the voice activated system/phone manual, which I don't have. I even tried the auxillary setting on the radio/nav, thinking it might run through that- but no luck. Can anyone direct me through the pairing please? I have the iPhone 4s and my car is a 2003 X5 4.6iS. Thank you!
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
There's lots of information in the BMW forums (and the internet in general) about Bluetooth pairing of smartphones to BMW models. And many have lists of which models have what and what model year allows for specific pairing. You're almost there...just a few more google searches etc and creative search words and you should be able to find out if your model year has this capability without having to purchase other components to allow it to happen.

I just purchased an 06 X5 a week ago and got my Samsung Galaxy SGII to pair with it. The pass key code was on a card in the phone owners manual. If you don't have your pass key code...there are videos on YouTube as well as step by step instructions all over the internet that shows how to find the pass key code which can be found on a label on the component in the cargo area that allows bluetooth connection.

I'm not a big phone fan...especially of talking on the phone while driving (hands free or not)...but only sought out the info out of curiousity. From the brief info that I can remember...you may be on the wrong side of the cusp that has BT pairing already installed. I think it came standard sometime around the 04 model year. But don't give up hope...a previous owner may have installed the correct component.

It could have been something as simple as you didn't follow the instructions to the "T". I think the ignition has to be in position 1 or 2 (engine not running) and your phone needs to have BT turned on for searching...and this has to be done within 30 seconds of turning the ignition to correct postion etc. As you can see from my rambling...you really need to find the write-ups for how it's done...and again, there is more than enough info out there right at your finger tips. Sorry I can't be more helpful...but again, I'm nor really into talking on the phone inside my car. I find it my last place of solitude...unencumbered with the onslaught of being contacted at every available moment of my life. If a call is that important, they can leave a message which I can return safely when I'm not driving...or they can call me back.

Good luck...it should be easy to find the info you're looking for. Try google, the search feature here, and Youtube.

Edit: for example, I just did a google search (typed "bmw phone manual pdf") and got this link for a BMW Bluetooth manual (6/2003) that was like the 3rd or 4th result on the list: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...GixSVA&cad=rja
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 11-20-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5 4.6iS
Thank you for the link. The searches I've conducted haven't produced any results. I did see the link you posted, but unfortunately it doesn't 'match' up with my X5 as the buttons are different and I don't have a 'pairing' button in the console. I do have a phone icon, the 'R/T' and the voice icons on my steering wheel/radio/nav. I have tried different combinations of the buttons and ignition, but nothing seems to pick up the signal. As you said, I'm sure I just don't have the right combination. Thanks for trying to help!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
I didn't have a pairing button either (in the console)...there were 2 types of BT components (ULF & TCU). The console pairing button was for BMWs that came with phones installed in a cradle. There is a way to pair a non-cradled phone (like I did)...but again, you've gotta have the correct BT component plus the 4 digit pass key code.

Again, I'm really sorry I couldn't be of more help. But before giving up...try one of the popular nav/bluetooth forums like this one...you can search or ask a question and I'm sure someone way more knowledgeable than me may be able to point you in a better direction: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/bluetooth/
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 11-20-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5
To find your passcode(pk#) you have to go where your nav cd is in the hatch on the left. Remove the carpeted floor where the spare is. You have to unscrew(3screws ) the floor panel closest to the nav cd to see your bluetooth module. Its hard to see. You might need a flashlight to read the pk#. Thats the four digit code you need. Thats how i got mine to work( no help from the dealer)
Old 04-23-2013, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 4.6is
hi

I tuned my iphone into my x5 4.6is about two weeks ago , well the young lad who works along with me did if your still stuck let me know and I can get him to post on here and let u know how he did it ,, but u do need the code normally with the books
Old 04-23-2013, 04:46 PM

Mine works. I just posted how to fin the pk if you dont have it but thanks
Old 04-23-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 4.6is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring20 View Post
Mine works. I just posted how to fin the pk if you dont have it but thanks
sorry blonde moment , was just flicking through should have read all the post sorry
Old 04-23-2013, 05:17 PM

No problem. Have you had alot of problems with your X? Reading the forum makes me nervous seeing all these problems. I just bought one and i hope i dont need a mint to maintain it