Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Do we have a step-by-step DIY for ADJUSTING window glass when replacing the regulator

Q: Do we actually have a step-by-step procedure, with MEASUREMENTS, for properly adjusting the window location when replacing our BMW E39 window regulators?

After a long sordid attempt at repairing my window regulator [gory details at (1) (2) (3)] I gave up on the repair and just replaced my drivers side front window regulator.

However, (apparently) even though I tried, after I buttoned it all up, I belatedly realized I got the adjustment all wrong because I made the wrong decisions.

Here is the forward window clamp of the driver side front door, which adjusted easily:

However, the rear window clamp of the driver side front door did not adjust so easily.

Notice the rubber protection wedge on this rear window clamp is maxed out yet the plastic wing stop is near the top!

If I lower the plastic wing stop any further, the inch-long rubber protection strip will be stretched an extra inch and a half!

The result is that the driver side front LH window doesn't go down all the way down.

The Bentleys 'sound' specific, but notice they don't actually tell you anything about how to adjust the plastic stops!
Nor do they provide any decent reference points when the window is DOWN (which is the 'only' place you can adjust it).
There are no measurements, no pictures, no guides (that are helpful) in the Bentleys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
  1. Adjust window.
    • "Door window, adjusting", (512-8)
    • Whenever the door window or window regulator is removed, window adjustment should be checked.
    • The glass should contact the top of the window squarely and should seat against the window seal uniformly.
    • NOTE: If the window does not contact the window seal uniformly, wind noise or water infiltration may result.
    • Remove door panel as described in "411 Doors".
    • Disconnect negative (-) cable from battery. Remove airbag unit and vapor barrier from door. See "721 Airbag System (SRS)".
    • Longitudinal adjustment:
      • Adjustments are made with window in open position.
      • Loosen window guide rail mounting nuts (2), but do not remove.
      • Slide window glass in longitudinal direction to adjust.
      • Tighten guide rail nuts.
      • Tightening torque, window regulator guide rail to door, 89 in-lb.
    • Vertical adjustment:
      • Adjustments are made with window in open position.
      • Loosen window clamping fasteners (2), but do not remove.
      • Adjust rear clamp and tighten fastener.
      • Tighten front clamp fastener.
      • Raise door window up to stop.
      • Check gap at window front edge (Front of window = 5.4mm, 0.21 in)
      • Check gap at window top edge (Top of window = 10mm, 0.39 in).
      • NOTE: Measure window frame between door window edge and panel.
      • Tightening torque, Window regulator guide rail to door, 89 in-lb.
I even tried the BMW TIS, but it too didn't have enough (for me) detail to adequately explain HOW to adjust the window glass such that it would go up and down properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post

This DIY says a bit about adjusting the 'ears':
- BMW E39 2000 528iA Front Window Regulator
In addition, the BMW TIS 51 33 00 refers adjustment to BMW TIS 51 32 154 but that TIS doesn't provide any new useful detail.

Given that the Bentleys & the TIS weren't enough (for me anyway), may I ask this question:
Q: Do we have a step-by-step DIY procedures for properly ADJUSTING the window position (with measurements and specific directions so that we can get this right the first time)?

Last edited by bluebee; 11-20-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Added detail.
Ads by Google
Old 12-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
The question came up again today over here:
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > How do we loosen tension on a BMW E39 front window regulator anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2456 View Post
Help! Bought the new regulator. Swapping the motor was a snap, and I was really proud/happy when I reinstalled the entire system without any problems. And then . .. . . . tested it before even putting the glass back on, and it seemed to work beautifully. So I reassembled just about everything: placed glass in the appropriate "jaws" which were at the very bottom of the door, tightened them in, and hit the window button. Window went up nicely until about half way up, when it suddenly slowed considerably; it seemed to labor going up any further. Long story short, it is now up, with about two inches left to go for a full close, but it will not move either up or down. I can hear the motor wanting to work, but nothing happens. Is there a trick to this? Some adjustment that no one has disclosed yet? Some magical spot at which the window glass needs to be installed for the entire system to work? Assuming I can now get the glass out again (may be very hard since it is difficult to reach the Jaw, how does this system get "tuned??"
Thanks.