Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/335
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunz View Post
It kills me that they have not figgured out the 535 yet. I love my GT and have the money banked for when they do. If you're in a 550 GT you should go for it.

FWIW
DLM
I suspect there is not a lot of tuning potential in the N55 and that is why there are no wothwhile tunes out there for this motor. I have always said BMW downgraded when they replaced the N54 with the N55. The N54 spanks the N55 all day long and I wish I could have lifted the 80k miles old N54 out of my 2008 535 and dropped it into my 2011 535.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Yup, the N55 seems to have hit a wall in terms of tunabilty. Something that BMW seems to know because the 335is and 1M use the older N54 I6TT, instead of the uprated N55
Old 11-17-2012, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 5er
ALpine300zhp: Slightly off topic and rising from the dead: How do you like South Fla? How is better worse compared to NoVA? PM me please if you'd like. Like your ride, I cruise a 2013 535 xi to and from Herndon, VA and it does quite well. the lambo/ferrari dealership is right behind BMW of Sterling. Plenty of rides to see zooming around this area.
Thx
Old 11-18-2012, 07:24 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reescher View Post
ALpine300zhp: Slightly off topic and rising from the dead: How do you like South Fla? How is better worse compared to NoVA? PM me please if you'd like. Like your ride, I cruise a 2013 535 xi to and from Herndon, VA and it does quite well. the lambo/ferrari dealership is right behind BMW of Sterling. Plenty of rides to see zooming around this area.
Thx
We can talk via PM, but I can give you a general answer here. As a person born and raised in the northeast I can tell you that South Florida feels strange at times. The people are different and the cultural norms are different. I vastly prefer the northeast especially the DC metro area (my favorite areas are Tysons Corner, Reston, Potomac, Georgetowne, Bethesda and Chevy Chase). There is an obvious lack of cultural activities in South Florida and coming from the DC metro area it is painfully obvious. What is great about South Florida is the weather. Nothing like seeing the beach and the ocean every single day. It is very peaceful living in South Florida compared to the often stressful atmosphere of the the DC metro area. Unless you are in Miami (if so talk to Stealth Pilot) commuting down here is easy. DC commuting is horrible and seems to have gotten worse since I moved. As for cars you are not giving up anything down here. We have every possible car dealership you can imagine. I am 10 minutes from every exotic make sold in the USA and regularly see exotic cars on my way to work. Lambo/Ferrari/Rolls/Bentley/Aston Martin and more are all on one road in West Palm Beach much like the string of dealers in Tysons and Sterling.

As I said in a previous post, I have this push pull dynamic with the DC metro area and part of me really wants to move back. However, I do not want to give up the weather as I have become spoiled rotten by this great weather and beautiful ocean views. Many people tell me I would be a perfect candidate for living in the LA metro area or San Francisco area as it seems to give a perfect blend of what is best about DC and South Florida. What I end up doing remains to be seen....

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 11-18-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
I suspect there is not a lot of tuning potential in the N55 and that is why there are no wothwhile tunes out there for this motor. I have always said BMW downgraded when they replaced the N54 with the N55. The N54 spanks the N55 all day long and I wish I could have lifted the 80k miles old N54 out of my 2008 535 and dropped it into my 2011 535.
Funny, the N54 is why I passed on several E61's and got an F10 even though I REALLY wanted the wagon. Nice none, but I couldn't sit around waiting for it to crap out.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Funny, the N54 is why I passed on several E61's and got an F10 even though I REALLY wanted the wagon. Nice none, but I couldn't sit around waiting for it to crap out.
I understand. My N54's all had a ton of issues. It was the faster motor (because of the two small turbos), but it was also the more problematic motor. The N55 is much more reliable from what I can see. This is part of why I traded the 08 535i for the 11. The 08 had quite a few issues and I was getting tired of dealing with it.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I understand. My N54's all had a ton of issues. It was the faster motor (because of the two small turbos), but it was also the more problematic motor. The N55 is much more reliable from what I can see. This is part of why I traded the 08 535i for the 11. The 08 had quite a few issues and I was getting tired of dealing with it.
Yeah, I remember Car magazine having to replace a turbo on their long term tester. And then the zillions of HPFP issues. Well, I just didn't want to do the brain damage.

The N54 is definitely the stronger motor. However, one reason I believe most people think it FEELS stronger is the transmission. Think that the N54 had the 6 speed auto and the N55 is paired with the 8 speeder. The 8 speeder shifts more often and keeps the revs a lot lower than the N54. As a result, the N55 spends a lot of time below 2,000 RPM, and most people think it feels weaker.

Compared to the 6 speed auto, the N54 actually gets a chance to stretch it's legs.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
We can talk via PM, but I can give you a general answer here. As a person born and raised in the northeast I can tell you that South Florida feels strange at times. The people are different and the cultural norms are different. I vastly prefer the northeast especially the DC metro area (my favorite areas are Tysons Corner, Reston, Potomac, Georgetowne, Bethesda and Chevy Chase). There is an obvious lack of cultural activities in South Florida and coming from the DC metro area it is painfully obvious. What is great about South Florida is the weather. Nothing like seeing the beach and the ocean every single day. It is very peaceful living in South Florida compared to the often stressful atmosphere of the the DC metro area. Unless you are in Miami (if so talk to Stealth Pilot) commuting down here is easy. DC commuting is horrible and seems to have gotten worse since I moved. As for cars you are not giving up anything down here. We have every possible car dealership you can imagine. I am 10 minutes from every exotic make sold in the USA and regularly see exotic cars on my way to work. Lambo/Ferrari/Rolls/Bentley/Aston Martin and more are all on one road in West Palm Beach much like the string of dealers in Tysons and Sterling.

As I said in a previous post, I have this push pull dynamic with the DC metro area and part of me really wants to move back. However, I do not want to give up the weather as I have become spoiled rotten by this great weather and beautiful ocean views. Many people tell me I would be a perfect candidate for living in the LA metro area or San Francisco area as it seems to give a perfect blend of what is best about DC and South Florida. What I end up doing remains to be seen....
Having grown up in the Northeast, then having lived in NoVA for 4 years, and now in TX, I can relate. However I will say that NY/NJ, PA and Boston blow away DC. DC, to me, is very fake. A lot of artificial tension, a lot of transplants and artificial "culture", with new "town centers" and the like. Tons of chain restaurants, etc. If you're going to move back north, move to NY/NJ, PA or MA.

I didn't mind DC / NoVA but I wouldn't willingly try to move back there. If I had to move back north, it'd be to Northern NJ.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yeah, I remember Car magazine having to replace a turbo on their long term tester. And then the zillions of HPFP issues. Well, I just didn't want to do the brain damage.

The N54 is definitely the stronger motor. However, one reason I believe most people think it FEELS stronger is the transmission. Think that the N54 had the 6 speed auto and the N55 is paired with the 8 speeder. The 8 speeder shifts more often and keeps the revs a lot lower than the N54. As a result, the N55 spends a lot of time below 2,000 RPM, and most people think it feels weaker.

Compared to the 6 speed auto, the N54 actually gets a chance to stretch it's legs.
Good point. The 8 speed has its pluses and minuses but it does get you into lower rpm ranges making the engine feel weaker. Mind you, the fuel economy can be very good on the highway.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
Good point. The 8 speed has its pluses and minuses but it does get you into lower rpm ranges making the engine feel weaker. Mind you, the fuel economy can be very good on the highway.

I wish that the 8 speed auto had multiple shift settings like the DCT. To me, sport is TOO much for normal driving. Audi's D/S mode to me is better for everyday driving. Driving in sport around town is, well, a little annoying. I don't need to be shifting at 5k rpm in traffic.

Three modes would be great. If not 4.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:

I was in the NE until my teens and then to South Fl. Have lived in many places since, including CA and now Texas. The way I describe SoFla s to compare it to a fungus... It grows on you!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
I was in the NE until my teens and then to South Fl. Have lived in many places since, including CA and now Texas. The way I describe SoFla s to compare it to a fungus... It grows on you!
LOL...a fungus. I have to say that you are correct. It has grown on me over the years, but I am still contemplating a move someplace else. I see you, Needs, ChrisChung and a few other festers have ended up in the Dallas/Houston area. Other than job transfers what is drawing you guys to Texas? I never considered Texas myself, but I am curious as to why so many people are moving there (other than the obvious benefits of lower cost of living and good economy)? Do you guys care to share with me what you like or dislike about Texas? How does it compare to Cali (which is on my short list)? I have been told that Austin would be a good fit for me. I need to do a Texas vacation and see what all of the fuss is about.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 11-19-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Well, I moved here from California where I lived in Santa Clara for 3 years and Orange county the 18 months prior...

Frankly, Texas is OK but I loved California.
  • Is it completely over priced - oh yeah.
  • Are you underpaid when compared to other states - absolutely.
  • Does it goes against most of my core political beliefs - yep

If you had an opportunity would you move back - Damn Skippy I would.

Now I am not the average person - not even close.

Having lived 8 different states, and abut 12 or so completely different cities in those states I have come to enjoy certains things more than other. I also do not have children which changes the things people consider moving.

For me weather was never a big issue until I lived in CA, now I can say its at the top of my list. Just my $.05
Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 550 i
Got my 2011 550i at USD 59 k but went crazy on the Dinan tuning though