Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Audi confirms four new TDI diesel models headed for US

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/19/a...headed-for-us/

Quote:

Audi has thrilled the diesel fanatics among us this afternoon, by announcing its intentions to show a whopping five TDI diesel-empowered vehicles (four new) at the upcoming LA Auto Show. TDI versions of the Audi's A6, A7, A8 sedans and its Q5 crossover will be new additions to the automaker's US arsenal, while the Q7 TDI will continue as well. The news isn't completely unexpected, as we received confirmation previously that the A6, A8 and Q5 were all on the way with diesel, but the A7 receiving the engine is news, as is the reveal and on-sale timing. Our previous report indicated that the A4 would also be coming over with TDI motivation, but the Audi announcement makes no such promises.

All of the models in question will be making room for Audi's 3.0-liter V6 turbocharged diesel under their hoods. The powerplant makes some 240 horsepower and 406 pound-feet of torque, and is estimated to return 24 miles per gallon city and 36 mpg highway when installed in the A8. The Q7 is good for 19/28 city/highway mpg.

The A8 TDI will be the first of the new diesels to become available in the 2014 model year, with that executive sedan being offered for sale in the spring of 2013. The A7, A6, and Q5 TDIs will roll into dealerships in the fall of next year, and the Q7 TDI is, of course, on sale right now for a stating price of $52,000.
Ads by Google
Old 11-19-2012, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
Wonder if BMW will respond. No Mercedes and Audi have diesel for their larger sedans. I suspect with what BMW paid for licensing Toyota's hybrid technology the answer is no
Old 11-19-2012, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Does that announcement mean no more A3 TDI?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post
Wonder if BMW will respond. No Mercedes and Audi have diesel for their larger sedans.
Both the E Class (mid sized sedan) and the S Class (large sedan) feature a diesel.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Stats I've seen suggest that the A3 TDI is selling well here.If that's the case it would be silly for Audi to drop it.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:29 PM

I just thought it was strange that it said five models, one a pre existing one and not the A3. I did not pull up the link though, just read what was quoted.

Does MBZ now put the more powerful Blutec into the E like the S, ML, and GL all have now?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Audi A8 TDI
The flagship of the Audi brand, the A8 TDI, makes a powerful statement in achieving a manufacturer estimated fuel efficiency of 24 MPG in the city and 36 MPG on the highway*. The A8 TDI clean diesel executive sedan embodies superior design and progressive advancements which sets new standards for luxury sedans in terms of uncompromising efficiency and performance. The new 2014 A8 sedans dramatically expand the flagship's engine offerings by moving from two variants (4.2 liter V8 and W12) to six, including: the entry level A8 3.0T V6; the 420 horsepower A8 4.0T V8; the new Audi S8 4.0T V8; the A8 6.0 liter W12; and the new A8 3.0 TDI V6. The new 3.0 liter TDI clean diesel engine generates an astonishing 240 horsepower with 406 lb.-ft. of torque and seamlessly goes 0-60 in 6.4 seconds.
36 mpg highway on the A8!? If the A7 TDI does something even remotely near that number, that car is mine.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
I like Audi but they came to late IM stuck with the 335d for a while maybe in the next 8 years I will look into them, thats about the average longevity for my cars!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
VW has made no bones about it -- they want to be the world's largest car maker and Audi the "premier luxury brand". They are on the way but have a hard row to hoe to unseat the "S" class MB in the luxo category. However with Porsche now in their stable it is a formidible array of talent and expertise on display there. BMW and MB are going to have to pick up their game a bit to match them. All this of course is great for us, the consumer, who gets the benefit of this competition. Now then if VA(P)G could do something about improving their VW dealer network.........
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Does MBZ now put the more powerful Blutec into the E like the S, ML, and GL all have now?
Nevermind, I see via MBZ's website that the E class still uses the less powerful version of that diesel engine. Wonder why that is, can't seem to find anything that talks about changing to the more powerful option used in the other vehicles and actually is the same basic engine anyway. Guess it is some emissions certification reason?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Nevermind, I see via MBZ's website that the E class still uses the less powerful version of that diesel engine. Wonder why that is, can't seem to find anything that talks about changing to the more powerful option used in the other vehicles and actually is the same basic engine anyway. Guess it is some emissions certification reason?
I think they're just waiting for the upcoming facelift before throwing it into the E.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I think they're just waiting for the upcoming facelift before throwing it into the E.
Perhaps but everything I have read says the reason for the higher power output is because of a engine block coating they started using. So seems like would be real simple to swap those newer engines in. Though I guess they might be limited at how many blocks they can coat. The power level of the E class Bluetec is the very thing that pushed me away from it.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
Both the E Class (mid sized sedan) and the S Class (large sedan) feature a diesel.
Ya. Typo. I meant Now.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
Old 11-20-2012, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 335d M Sport/Premium Pkg
Quote:
Last week a local Audi dealer told me as I was thinking to get A3 TDI for my wife that A3 hatchback is being discontinued in NA, 2014 it will be replaced with a "SEDAN" A3 but no more TDI. So 2014 onwards A4 and A3 Sedans will be 2 model's that will NOT have a diesel option.

I guess that market is "owned" by VW, a Tiguan 2.0 TDI 6spd will be offered in 2015 in Canada, as per a local dealer. but it makes sense to drop A3 TDI when Golf TDI is $15k cheaper essentially same car underneath and VW through options has more to offer at least here in Canada but again I've seen Audi/VW North America or Canada making goofy decisions based on bogus survey/marketing numbers.

Last edited by DZLMAN; 11-20-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:28 PM

I never could bring myself to consider a A3 TDI because of the Sportwagon TDI.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 335d M Sport/Premium Pkg
Quote:
I never could bring myself to consider a A3 TDI because of the Sportwagon TDI.
Yep thats why we ended up with a Golf Wagon TDI 6spd fully loaded [Highline in Canada] for my wife and kids!

She's been lovin it.........what can I say!!!

But VW can make a lot of money by giving HID/Xenon lights options etc in Canada, they are not coz the decision makers at VW Canada and VW America or BMW America or Audi America for that matter are not car enthusiasts, they're a bunch of North American business graduate monkeys trying to achieve their own 1 year or 2 year objectives, lol, its so predictive I can't help but laugh at what is going to happen to these companies, pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR they perhaps know how goofy north american consumer is and therefore they can do the same what GM, Chrysler and Ford has been doing to US/Canadian consumers, shove the ****tiest product down their throat and they'll buy it, I as a north american say no to ****y product!!! you have the ability to and resources to give good stuff to us so why aren't you???

The GMs, Fords and Chryslers have been delievering as needed and required by consumers in Europe for years so why not here, is it because they're in bed with the big oil or is it becuase NA consumer is willing to buy anything in the name of "domestic"............I think we the people in North America should have a choice and be able to enjoy the same as the rest of the world, frankly it is our taxes that fund MTO or DOT to work for us but it seems these institutions are getting a bigger pay cheque to ensure the good things don't come our way.....otherwise who'll buy a GM product costing less than $1500 and your neighbor paying $22000 for it!!! go figure........instead of the Golf Wagon we'd have a Dodge Caravan made in the USA if it was available with the 2.2 CRD common rail diesel as it is in Eorope! Don't know what to say anymore...............over and out.

Last edited by DZLMAN; 11-20-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
I'm so ready for a midsize diesel sedan such as F10, A6 or A7. 2013 is going to be a great year.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:21 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
dzlmoose Im 1000000% agree w you on this!!!