Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
X1 off road

Does anyone have information related to driving the X1 on unpaved roads, especially as compared to the forthcoming 3-series touring wagon? I realize the X1 has more ground clearance, but there's more to being able to handle rough surfaces than clearance. I thought I was set on the X1 until I read about plans for a diesel wagon, but I wonder if I wouldn't end up trashing the wagon. I just want to be able to navigate forest service and BLM back roads at moderate speeds without bottoming out.

I don't want an X3.
Ads by Google
Old 11-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
Someone might have more insight but here's my thoughts in short.

Both X1 and 3 series wagon use the same xDrive so there shouldn't be much difference there.
The new wagon willl be based on a new chasis (X1 was based on the e91 wagon chasis) but off roading I can't see much of a difference between the two chasis. Some F chasis BMW owners liked the e90 chasis more, some like the new, it's a mixed bag but that's for performance/track handling.
The 3 series wagon will have a nicer interior than the X1.
The X1 looks more offroad willing.
The X1 does have clearance as you noted, and that doesn't matter for off roading but to be honest I think it's really

So in short, the only difference is interior and exterior looks and the X1 has more clearance. Oh, the 3 series wagon will have a bigger boot if that matters much but again, it's not something that helps for off roading.

I'd say consider the X1 over the 3 series only for the ground clearance as it might come in handy on BLM and back roads once in a while. The 3 series should be fine though, but you never know how big of dips and ruts you'll get on BLM land so more clearance might save you but you could as easily find the X1 unable to clear some land too.

3 series will perform better on non off roads though.

Last edited by edx1; 11-17-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: GTI
Eric:

Not to dissuade you from BMW, but have you looked at a Subaru? If I was doing more than 40% of my driving offroad, I'd rather not do it in a $40k+ BMW. I just keep thinking of gravel dings, scratches, bottoming out and hitting objects.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 AM
BMW Rookie

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive 28i
I test drove the new Cross Trek XV from Subaru. I found it really lacking in the power department, but it was pretty fun to drive. Another 30-40HP and I may have taken a closer look at it. It's a bit more rugged looking too.

-=My Garage=-
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 28i, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather pkg, and Tech Pkg
2006 BMW X3 3.0i, Premium Pkg, Xenons, Cold weather pkg, Nav - RETIRED
2006 BMW X3 3.0i, Cold weather pkg, Nav
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Lauren Thatcher Ulrich
Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
X1, hands down

1) There is no indication that a new 3-series wagon will be offered in 320d xDrive form. Although nothing has been announced, I would be surprised if they do, since that would be 4 powertrain alternatives rather than 2 or 3. (Note that past wagons sold about 1/2 xDrive, and only around 3K/year of both rwd/xDrive total).
2) I drove my E46 330xi on gravel/dirt roads. IMO it didn't provide enough clearance to do that except on roads that were graded/maintained (and with the federal budget the way it is, most are not). I definitely bottomed out, even with care in choosing the best path. You will be ok only on main USFS XX roads, but not on XXyy side roads.
3) There is not enough suspension travel in the wagon (sedan) variants to properly absorb many larger road features, even if you don't bottom.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
Cascade cruisin'

Renton, WA! Well, heck, I live in South Seattle. Greetings, neighbor.

OK, so the wagon is out. But the X1 at least does have a suspension somewhat adapted to moderately rough terrain, right? I just want to be able to get to the trailheads without worrying about every pothole and rut. I've owned an SUV for 15 years, and although I can get practically anywhere, I hate it for normal driving. For all the backcountry travel I do, 90+% of my driving is still going to be on pavement.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Genname View Post
Renton, WA! Well, heck, I live in South Seattle. Greetings, neighbor.

OK, so the wagon is out. But the X1 at least does have a suspension somewhat adapted to moderately rough terrain, right? I just want to be able to get to the trailheads without worrying about every pothole and rut. I've owned an SUV for 15 years, and although I can get practically anywhere, I hate it for normal driving. For all the backcountry travel I do, 90+% of my driving is still going to be on pavement.
The X1 should be plenty fine. I've had our Highlander on some pretty rough roads, and the X1 should be as capable. You'll be fine on anything like Pyramid Pass (the "new" Naches Pass), Stampede Pass, Corral Pass, Cascade Pass trailhead, most stuff around Lake Wenatchee, etc., etc.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
This video compare shows the X1 offroad in comparison to the Evoque:
Old 11-25-2012, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 98 540iA Sport
I really like the rover. If I actually had any backwoods type driving to do, that'd be the route I'd go.

Please forgive any grammatical errors, sent from mobile
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm11_6 View Post
i really like the rover. If i actually had any backwoods type driving to do, that'd be the route i'd go.
+1