Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF-FKR View Post
Holy $hit that was a PIA! On a scale of 1-10, that is a 7. They are back together and the adhesive is drying. They will be re-installed in the morning. I have about 6 hours into the whole project. You really hack up your lights, but its in areas that are not going to be seen. I also found Black adhesive RTV at Autozone for $10. I took a couple of pictures that I think will help explain a little more. I blew out my dremel and it took about 4 cutting blades to get through both lights.

Soapy water doesnt get rid of the haze on the inside. I tried clay bar with spray polish, everything I had in my arsenal. What ended up working the easiest and best was an "all purpose adhesive remover". This applies easily and wipes clean. I took a high speed buffer and polished the outside of the lenses too while they were off. I painted the corner lense (was yellow) black and I removed the tint over the outside of the lenses. I will post finished pics later this week. START THIS PROJECT FIRST THING IN THE MORNING! Buy everything first..
Damn bro congrats on tackling that task.. Can't wait to see how they came out.

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold & new owner totaled it 4 hours later)
Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: Beemer Soon!
Here are a couple of pics. The first one is the headlight with the flange removed with the dremel and now I am cutting the rubber to remove the lens. "Apomerans" drew a good diagram of what it is like and he labels them Cut #1, Cut #2. You cannot complete this task with cutting #2 only. I did not realize this with the first headlight I did and I had to then go back and cut all the way around again with his Cut #1. The second headlight I skipped cut #2, and went right to his cut #1 angle (still follow me?). I had better results cutting #2 first, then going back and cutting #1 (all still referencing Apomerans diagram drawing).

The problem with going right to cut #1 is you are cutting blind and can go too deep into the inner housing (making a hole into the headlight). I made a small error, this but was able to re-seal when I RTVed the lights back together.

The first pic shows the rubber is UNDER the lens that has to be cut out. All in All, it was SO worth it to me. The front end of the car looks so much cleaner and new. If you have angle eyes it makes them ALOT brighter!!! I do NOT regret this mod at all. The good news is, if you have to re-do it again, you only have to cut the RTV, no more dremeling next time...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headlightdremel.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	350323   Click image for larger version

Name:	postheadlightmod.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	350324  

Last edited by TUF-FKR; 11-20-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 PM

(I made a couple of edits after I re-read my post).

Oyeah, whoever said you could get this apart by "baking" them?? I want what your smoking... This $**** is like tire rubber. An angled blade would have helped me, less stuff to dremel around to get my box knife into. Someone mentioned a dentist tool kit, that probably would have been better.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Quote:
Here are a couple of pics. The first one is the headlight with the flange removed with the dremel and now I am cutting the rubber to remove the lens. "Apomerans" drew a good diagram of what it is like and he labels them Cut #1, Cut #2. You cannot complete this task with cutting #2 only. I did not realize this with the first headlight I did and I had to then go back and cut all the way around again with his Cut #1. The second headlight I skipped cut #2, and went right to his cut #1 angle (still follow me?). I had better results cutting #2 first, then going back and cutting #1 (all still referencing Apomerans diagram drawing).

The problem with going right to cut #1 is you are cutting blind and can go too deep into the inner housing (making a hole into the headlight). I made a small error, this but was able to re-seal when I RTVed the lights back together.

The first pic shows the rubber is UNDER the lens that has to be cut out. All in All, it was SO worth it to me. The front end of the car looks so much cleaner and new. If you have angle eyes it makes them ALOT brighter!!! I do NOT regret this mod at all. The good news is, if you have to re-do it again, you only have to cut the RTV, no more dremeling next time...
Nice!how long did it take to make the actual cuts? I would think that's the part one would have to pay close attention to and be patient with.

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold & new owner totaled it 4 hours later)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:23 AM

The dremel work took about 20 minutes per headlight. The cutting of the rubber under the lens takes about 1 hour each.

***IMPORTANT NOTE*** Your side markers are snapped in, if you remove them to paint them, glue them in place. I have one side marker that is moving around a bit.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745li
Quote:

Good job Glad to see other people successfully doing this to their cars. Hope my pics and description helped out.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Running Again!

Mein Auto: BMW 745
There hasnt been much discussion on it, and Im still very intersted in where (if possible) I can order just the headlight lenses for this car. Headlights themselves work fine, and since its a unit that was assembled in pieces Id assume (somewhere, some how) I would be able to purchase the lenses only. Please advise guys
Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Verbals

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 745i
I plan to take on this project on Wednesday or Thursday. Couple quick questions/concerns before I pull the trigger. #1. Do I Dremel around the entire headlamp assembly or just the top lip that covers the lens seal? #2. If I want to paint the orange side marker black (or Anthracite Grey), which kind of paint do I use? #3. How long do I let the sealer bond/cure before putting the headlamps back in? Sorry for the rookie questions but I'm still a little hesitant due to the fact that our headlamps are a couple months rent. I have to do it tho because I hate the inside haze more than I fear f*<%ing up. Thanx, 'Fest!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Verbals

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 745i
... more than I fear fouling up ...
Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
Did this today took me all day practically nice sunday project. Drivers side was HORRID. 100x better. Light cutoffs look perfect now. Thanks for the writeup and giving me the courage to dremel my headlamps open

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Quote:
Originally Posted by 745iguy View Post
Did this today took me all day practically nice sunday project. Drivers side was HORRID. 100x better. Light cutoffs look perfect now. Thanks for the writeup and giving me the courage to dremel my headlamps open
Glad to see it worked for you bro. How about some pic so we can see how well you did.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Ill post some up tomorrow of it on the car. Heres a pic of the lens and the housing without it. Didn't take many pics but being an 02 you can imagine how they looked before. Dremel i bought from home depot for 50$ and came with attachments. The light output was well worth the cash and the time
Also would like to add the lens pic was taken after i used some goo gone spray on the inside. It took most of the grime off before more thoroughly cleaning and polishing. Used 3m, and meguiars. Buffed and polished. Didnt sand it as i did not have much but crud on the inside and out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358141422.431598.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	357596   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358141455.174456.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	357597  

+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i

Last edited by 745iguy; 01-13-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:41 AM

Mein Auto: 735i E65 2002
I think this is generating a new generation of seven's owners.... the one's that have cleaned the interior of their headlights and the one's that are supossed to do so in a short time!!!

Well done!!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Daytime
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358180119.062407.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	357651   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358180135.647173.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	357652  

.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
First I was afraid, then scared s#%less. Once you dremel that case YOU ARE commited.
And no joking, cutting the seal all around is multi-hour PITA.

Just put the glass back in with the 3M window weld urethane. Can't wait to see it back on the car.

Thanks for all the good advice in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	light1.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	359460  
ASK, Logic 7, blower, battery, guibo joint, active stabilizer bar bushings, diff oil, tranny sw update, vacuum pump gasket, window lift, a/c compressor, washer fluid reservoir, belt tensioner and deflector, crankcase vacuum hoses, crankcase vents, solenoid gaskets, headlight overhaul, ISM, hood lifts, driver mirror, sway bar end links, rear fog lamps, headlight washer, headlight vertical aim, VCGs
next up: P0492
Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI
head lights

Nice! Thank you for blueprint man.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BLACK BEAST 2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	359571   Click image for larger version

Name:	BLACK BEAST 1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	359572  
Old 06-29-2013, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745I
So wait,
All you did was take off the headlights..tear off the glue or sealent cleaned the inside with some cloth and then glued it back on???
Old 06-29-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW745ISliver View Post
So wait,
All you did was take off the headlights..tear off the glue or sealent cleaned the inside with some cloth and then glued it back on???
Sure, that's all we did. "Slam dunk" as they say... LOL. On a technical task rating of 1-10 this is an 8. How about this. Replacing an O2 sensor an my 7 ranked about a 5. Be prepared to go through one dremel and many cutting bits. Some black sealant and about 12-16 hours worth of work. Includes install and de-install time. I have the bumper removal down to a science. However, my 7 is long gone (happy/sad day). I don't miss spending hours tinkering with my car. GLWM! Tell us about your experience when your done. Let us know how "easy" it was.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: 760li
Looks great - I wish I could do this with my car.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Thanks, it took a while to find this information. I learned of permaseal after I spend an hour with the oven at different temps and damn near gave myself a hernia. I had wire around the lens edge connected to my foot and applied a good amount of force on a hot light. If I did not know better I think I heard my head light laughing at me. In any case thanks for the information.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:04 PM

A couple things I would add.

First is dont force the lens or try to pry up from one side. There is a black piece of plastic connected to the lens by the orange reflector that can break if twisted. The lens should come off easy.

I cut the black plastic the entire way around except two spots on the bottom where the head lights sit on the base. I could not get anything to cut the glue so I cut into the clear plastic on these two spots and will be sure to give them some extra water proofing after.

The cutting discs I had for a dremel are thin and covered in grit. They will break if you are in a rush. I broke the first one in a couple minutes. The second lasted through this lamp. I would recommend safty goggles with sides. My sun glasses were letting in some plastic chips from time to time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-11-15 18.51.02.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	407714  

Last edited by karmaxul; 11-15-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

So I decided to take apart my headlights to clean the foggy inside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmaxul View Post
A couple things I would add.

First is dont force the lens or try to pry up from one side. There is a black piece of plastic connected to the lens by the orange reflector that can break if twisted. The lens should come off easy.

I cut the black plastic the entire way around except two spots on the bottom where the head lights sit on the base. I could not get anything to cut the glue so I cut into the clear plastic on these two spots and will be sure to give them some extra water proofing after.

The cutting discs I had for a dremel are thin and covered in grit. They will break if you are in a rush. I broke the first one in a couple minutes. The second lasted through this lamp. I would recommend safty goggles with sides. My sun glasses were letting in some plastic chips from time to time.
Haha i remember doing this. Fun stuff. Fortunately for me i had an all metal Bit that worked fine for me and never had it break but you're not joking about the glasses. I did it with none and had to be extremely cautious. What a mess it made.. And the time to let it dry to seal and reassemble... Ahh I definitely dont miss that thing

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 11-15-2013, 06:18 PM

I found with the dremel on low speed there was less melting and more cutting. I think I will go get a metal bit for the other one. I was to motivated so decided to go with what I had in the case.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 745li
Re: So I decided to take apart my headlights to clean the foggy inside...

Got the same wheels blackedout5! Mine have the polished aluminum lip.

Sent from my LG-C800 using BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1384724027017.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	407967