Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 640i Coupe Msport
Installing Springs

Whats Up fellas.
Ive been looking to install springs on my 640i Coupe, Id like it to have a lower, more agressive looking stance, better handling would just be a plus. From reading other threads the springs dont really affect the drive/comfort of the car much in a negative way. I was looking at the H&R springs, and a local shop told me Install is tuff because they need to take apart the back seat to get the rear springs in, Anybody know if this is true?
Ads by Google
Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
I'm calling BS, but then again, I'm not 100% sure either. With BMW, who knows. Someone on here stated that the front bumper has to be removed to change the grilles out.

I originally had a quote from BMW service to do the install. They quoted me like $800. When I asked why, they said its a long job but they didn't mention anything about rear seat removal.

I am actually getting a set of H&R springs installed by an Indy tomorrow. I'll ask when I'm there.

Last edited by Itinj6; 11-13-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:28 AM

Mein Auto: 640i Coupe Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
I'm calling BS, but then again, I'm not 100% sure either. With BMW, who knows. Someone on here stated that the front bumper has to be removed to change the grilles out.

I originally had a quote from BMW service to do the install. They quoted me like $800. When I asked why, they said its a long job but they didn't mention anything about rear seat removal.

I am actually getting a set of H&R springs installed by an Indy tomorrow. I'll ask when I'm there.
Great!! Keep us posted, please feel free to hijack my thread, and give us a little review on the Springs
Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersianGodFatha View Post
Great!! Keep us posted, please feel free to hijack my thread, and give us a little review on the Springs
Lol, you got it.

I just dropped the car off so when I pick it up tomorrow, I will ask what they had to do for the install. Getting spacers put in too but I doubt that will have any effect on the spring characteristics.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Lol, you got it.

I just dropped the car off so when I pick it up tomorrow, I will ask what they had to do for the install. Getting spacers put in too but I doubt that will have any effect on the spring characteristics.
You need to post some new pics soon. You've been doing you plasti-dipping, springing, and tinting, but I can't recall any pics over the last few months. What gives?!? In the words of the great philosopher, Itin, "pics or it didn't happen"

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/

Last edited by southern6er22; 11-14-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
You need to post some new pics soon. You've been doing you plasti-dipping, springing, and tinting, but I can't recall any pics over the last few months. What gives?!? In the words of the great philosopher, Itin, "pics or it didn't happen"
Touché.

I actually removed the plasti dip. Wasn't a fan of matte black. Still deciding if I'm gonna paint, vinyl wrap or just go with M6 grilles (debadged, of course).

By tomorrow, I should have gloss black wheels, spacers and lowering springs done.

I did post pics of the tints

Pics of new mods coming shortly
Old 11-16-2012, 06:14 PM

So the springs definitely make the car look better with its lower stance. Also, the ride feels a bit firmer and you feel road bumps a lot more. I only have less than an hour in it so consider this a preliminary review. I believe the springs have to settle anyway.

They said that they didn't need to remove the rear seats to install them however, They did remove the interior trunk panels.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask
Old 11-17-2012, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 640i
only thing i trust on my car as far as springs/shocks go are KW Coilovers, and autotalent has the best pricing on them
Old 11-17-2012, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650 x-drive m-sport
I did 10 mm spacers which had no effect on the handling but made a huge difference in the appearance!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM
The Only User

Mein Auto: 650i
I used H&R and I paid 800 at BMW for install. Honestly it is a bit of a rip BUT use them as they will back the install. Plus if you go somewhere else you save 200 bucks? Not worth it.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntclark View Post
I used H&R and I paid 800 at BMW for install. Honestly it is a bit of a rip BUT use them as they will back the install. Plus if you go somewhere else you save 200 bucks? Not worth it.
I got mine installed at an Indy (that works strictly on BMWs and recommended by a few bimmerfest members) for $400 and they back the install as well. I got powder coating on my wheels, spring and spacer install and all the coding modules available for my car for $1,000 total with these guys. No issues whatsoever.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M6
H&R Springs

Just ordered H&R spring and 15mm spacers for the front and 12mm for the rear.
I was quoted 8 hours labor that included a front end alignment witch is a must, there must be 150 lb in the front and passenger side and a full tank of gas.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:00 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92
An install on springs should take no longer than 2.5-3 hours time to complete. We've done plenty of them here at the shop and can help out all you bimmerfest guys in SoCal. You'd also save a lot more money as we only charge $350 for a spring install!
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm
Check out the Blog for daily updates!