Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-20-2012, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes
BMW 550i - soft whistle sound ??

Hey Guys,
I just got a 550. At slow speeds, as I accelerate slowly, I can hear what I describe as a soft whistle sound. I cannot figure out what the heck it is. Has anyone experienced this? Please give me your input, I am frustrated. It is one of those things that I know if I take it to my dealership, they will tell me they cannot duplicate the problem. It does not happen all the time.
Ads by Google
Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535i M-sport 2013
I read it here that the door cabin may need some adjustment because of this a cabin noise well known issue in z F10 model I assume ! GLTU
Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550ix M-Sport
Hi,

My 550xi has the same high pitched noise you describe. It seems to happen when the accelerator is being pushed. For me it dissipates when the foot is off the pedal and cruising. I'm guessing it has something to do with fuel injection. IDK though.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Is it coming from the window? There is a known seal issue on all 5 series models.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 11-21-2012, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 335i ED SP
I usually drive with the fan on but AC off and have noticed the soft whistle coming through the air vents in the middle. When I turn the fan off though the the whistle goes away. I have a scheduled appt for friday to bring my car in and plan to let my SA know about it. I'll let you guys know if it gets fixed after the service appt.

2012 F10 535i | Alpine White | ZPP | ZSP | Tech | Lip Spoiler

Sold - 2007 E92 335i | Spark. Graph. | ZSP | 6 speed MT | Lip Spoiler
Old 11-24-2013, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
I think i am experiencing the same thing the OP described. It happens when at idle (sometimes) and doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason since sometimes it happens while others it doesn't. I thought it was only when the engine was cold, but that doesn't pan out. Thought it was coming from the HVAC but if i turn the fan off, it is still there. no idea what it is but it sure is annoying when sitting in traffic.

Pictures from September 2, 2013 ED
Video from September 2, 2013 ED
Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Sounds potentially like a loose or leaking vacuum hose.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 01-30-2014, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Any updates on this issue? Happening with my 2014 as well - exact same issue - almost sounds like it's coming from the audio system and reminds me of the sound I'd hear years ago if someone had an aftermarket sound system with poor grounding - almost an alternator whine but a "whistle" is a better way to describe it because it's much more subtle - definitely tied to the accelerator though and speeds don't seem to matter light acceleration though is the key. Pretty reproducible. I'll take it to the dealer to get looked at but I'd like to at least give them an idea to go on if someone else had the problem fixed already.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535i and '14 x5 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyscv View Post
Any updates on this issue? Happening with my 2014 as well - exact same issue - almost sounds like it's coming from the audio system and reminds me of the sound I'd hear years ago if someone had an aftermarket sound system with poor grounding - almost an alternator whine but a "whistle" is a better way to describe it because it's much more subtle - definitely tied to the accelerator though and speeds don't seem to matter light acceleration though is the key. Pretty reproducible. I'll take it to the dealer to get looked at but I'd like to at least give them an idea to go on if someone else had the problem fixed already.
Is it like this?

If you haven't ever watched that it is worth a watch for a good laugh.

In all seriousness I wonder if it is an air intake or make the turbo is spooling when it shouldnt? Also maybe it is the fake acceleration sound generator that is tied into our sound systems. Yes this does exist... I can't remember the name of it right now.

Last edited by joder; 01-30-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550xi
I have a 2014 550xi and have not heard the whistle sound but my wife's 2014 X3 3.5 has it. Every time I get in her car she has to show me the sound. Hopefully I can get to the dealer soon.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2011 335 and 2013 535
could be an intake leak or turbo/wastegates/something else engine related........even if it's not tossing out codes......yet

2013 F10 535i M-Sport (Sophisto Grau, 6-speed MT, M5 Grille/Trunk Lip)*for sale*
2011 E90 335 Sport (Jet Black, Performance Edition) *new commuter/flogmobile, whoa what is this NAV thing?*
2002 E46 330i Sport (Jet Black, 5-speed MT, H&R/Koni Sports, Meyle HD Control Arms, Powerflex FCAB's, Hotchkis sways...and more)*sold*
..lots of former cars