Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-21-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 330ci msport convert
Brake pads need changing ...which ones to buy???

Hi All,

Ok so just bought my second Bmw E46 but upgraded this time from the baby 318CI Coupe to the 330CI Msport Convertible on a 2001 Y reg.

Brake pads are at the limit and been offered a few choices...Jarid - Mintex - and some really cheap and nasty budget rubbish

Any opinions on this...Car just for road use and not thrashed around, have my little ones in the car though so want good safe stopping power!

Cheers

Last edited by Bm330PPN; 11-21-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: spelling!!
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Axxis Metal Master pads from Turner Motorsports are fantastic.

Don't scrimp on brakes.

Read what they say about these pads on the Turner site.

Great stopping power and low dust.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:28 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Pagid or Jurid are OEM.

The list of choices is endless; there is no single best pad, they're all a compromise of some sort.
If you don't track your car, want OEM feel with good initial bite, but lots of dust, go with Pagid or Jurid.

I am running Pagid "red" pads from Bavarian Auto. I'm pleased with them, but they still generate alot of dust.
Axxis Metal Master is another good choice, they're made by Repco who has been making brake pads forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6 Tisilver/gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm330PPN View Post
Hi All,

Ok so just bought my second Bmw E46 but upgraded this time from the baby 318CI Coupe to the 330CI Msport Convertible on a 2001 Y reg.

Brake pads are at the limit and been offered a few choices...Jarid - Mintex - and some really cheap and nasty budget rubbish

Any opinions on this...Car just for road use and not thrashed around, have my little ones in the car though so want good safe stopping power!

Cheers
Just curious seeing this post, has anyone started using the ceramic pads? I know the OEM pads are great stopping but as all have mentioned, very dusty. I would have to say that every pad I have used on my 'bimmer family' (and that's a lot) other than OEM, has resulted in greater brake foot force, not as quick stopping but no dust. What have you guys experienced?

BMW CCA #132981 Tarheel Chapter,
Old 11-23-2012, 11:09 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
Pagid or Jurid are OEM.

The list of choices is endless; there is no single best pad, they're all a compromise of some sort.
If you don't track your car, want OEM feel with good initial bite, but lots of dust, go with Pagid or Jurid.

I am running Pagid "red" pads from Bavarian Auto. I'm pleased with them, but they still generate alot of dust.
Axxis Metal Master is another good choice, they're made by Repco who has been making brake pads forever.
Wrong, Porterfield R4S does have OEM bite, low dust, highest thermal resistance compared to other non-track pads. Downsides are cost and it takes a mile of driving to warm up from cold. Works great for weekend warrior track days along with auto-x. Unlike the Metal Masters it doesn't eat rotors.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav31 View Post
Just curious seeing this post, has anyone started using the ceramic pads? I know the OEM pads are great stopping but as all have mentioned, very dusty. I would have to say that every pad I have used on my 'bimmer family' (and that's a lot) other than OEM, has resulted in greater brake foot force, not as quick stopping but no dust. What have you guys experienced?
Like Scott said above, brake pads are *always* a compromise....you`re trading one thing to get something else. Low dust = less initial bite....seems to be a Universal Fact Of Life....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 11-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I'm not sure what you want out of your brake pads, but, if friction is what you want, look here:
- What friction grade (e.g., EE, FF, EF, etc.) is recommended for BMW brake pads (1) (2)

Last edited by bluebee; 11-23-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Wrong, Porterfield R4S does have OEM bite, low dust, highest thermal resistance compared to other non-track pads. Downsides are cost and it takes a mile of driving to warm up from cold. Works great for weekend warrior track days along with auto-x. Unlike the Metal Masters it doesn't eat rotors.
I am familiar with Porterfield, they're mostly used for track days and by the racing set.

Like I said, ALL pads are a compromise. Not many people are willing to wait a mile for their brake pads to warm up, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
I am familiar with Porterfield, they're mostly used for track days and by the racing set.

Like I said, ALL pads are a compromise. Not many people are willing to wait a mile for their brake pads to warm up, LOL.
Then if you are familiar you would know that they still work even within that mile before they reach maximum operating temp for stopping. Even at 50% of the stopping power, it's equivalent to the OEM pads stopping power.

And if you really know the Porterfields well, their track specific pads are the R4 models; not the R4S.

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/...ield_info.html

Just for reference the R4S have a friction grade of about FG or GG using a Carbon Kevlar material.

http://porterfield-brakes.com/images...6_02_41_04.pdf

Last edited by av98; 11-24-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6 Tisilver/gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I'm not sure what you want out of your brake pads, but, if friction is what you want, look here:
- What friction grade (e.g., EE, FF, EF, etc.) is recommended for BMW brake pads (1) (2)
@ Bluebee....Thanks for the post. I checked out your links & educated myself, as I was NOT aware of the rating system on brake pads. I just never thought to search before. So, bottom line is for general everyday driving, which can be as wide is it's broad to some, an "FF" rated pad, I assume, would be the best choice. If I ever tracked my car, heaven forbid, I'd have separate SPECIAL pads & tires. But for day to day driving, the OEM Jarid are great but the dust sure does suck.

BMW CCA #132981 Tarheel Chapter,
Old 11-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to lancelot1959
Mein Auto: 2010 335D- E90
Lots of choices for brake pads

It depends on what you desire from a brake pad, if you like original equipment performance, Jurid or Pagid brake pads will do the trick, if you desire cleaner wheels with near original performance then Akebono are your pads.
Axxis , now PBR, pads are excellent and long lasting.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot1959 View Post
It depends on what you desire from a brake pad
This is for the E39, but the suggested pads should be commonly available for the E46 as well:
- What are the most commonly recommended pads for the E39, and why (1)

EDIT: See also this duplicate thread:
> E46 (1999 - 2006) > Brake pads need changing ...which ones to buy???

Last edited by bluebee; 11-28-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Located duplicate.