Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Unable to setup messages with iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1

I have been unable to get messaging working between my iPhone 5 iOS 6.01 and my M5.

The issue is that once I pair the phone, and then go to configure bluetooth device, it doesn't have a checkbox for Office. It only has check boxes for Telephone, Audio, and Additional Telephone.

I also noticed that when I initially pair it, the iPhone bluetooth configuration does not have the check box for notifications. Once I exit the configuration process, it appears. I then turn notifications on, but the car still won't offer me a checkbox for Office.

Anyone solved this before?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
6.1 Beta or 6.0.1?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i M-sport 2013
I have now got SMS messages coming through into iDrive from my iPhone 4 with IOS6 on my 2011 335i.

You need to get the latest Bluetooth update from www.bmw.com/bluetooth , enter your VIN and put the firmware bin file on a USB stick and upload the file into your iDrive via the BMW Firmware Update section.

SMS messages will only work as the email part of the new IOS 6 pushing emails thru to the iDrive has a bug.

Delete the existing iPhone pairing and re-do.

Under Settings, Bluetooth in your iPhone, go to the devices connected where it shows your BMW has paired, open that and turn on "Show Notifications".

Then under Settings in your iPhone go to "Notications" then under each heading "Phone" "Messages" "Mail" make sure you have the following turned on:
Notification Centre ON
Alert Style Alerts
Badge App Icon ON
Show Preview ON
View in Locked Screen ON

In iDrive you also need to tick "Office" in the bluetooth options. Then you get 3 options under "Office" in the main iDrive menu (Contacts, Office Today and Messages) where you can filter messages.

The TXT messages will only transfer to your idrive when your iPhone goes to sleep and has a blank screen (Locked) hence the View in Locked Screen, without this setting and your iphone has turned itself to Locked will the message be transferred, if you open the iPhone to view the messages they won't transfer to the iDrive, iPhone must turn itself to lock so set your iPhone to lock after 1 Minute in settings.

Emails are the same but that has a bug at the moment. Hopefully this should be fixed by Apple soon as it was working in their beta IOS6.

I'm pretty sure you need cars fitted with the Combox interface, so that means only recent models.

Enjoy!!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
6.1 beta or 6.0.1?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM
The Driver

Icu - I am following the directions except I am not getting an option to check office under Bluetooth device configuration.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 11-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by icu View Post
I have now got SMS messages coming through into iDrive from my iPhone 4 with IOS6 on my 2011 335i.

You need to get the latest Bluetooth update from www.bmw.com/bluetooth , enter your VIN and put the firmware bin file on a USB stick and upload the file into your iDrive via the BMW Firmware Update section.

SMS messages will only work as the email part of the new IOS 6 pushing emails thru to the iDrive has a bug.

Under Settings, Bluetooth in your iPhone, go to the devices connected where it shows your BMW has paired, open that and turn on "Show Notifications".

Then under Settings in your iPhone go to "Notications" then under each heading "Phone" "Messages" "Mail" make sure you have the following turned on:
Notification Centre ON
Alert Style Alerts
Badge App Icon ON
Show Preview ON
View in Locked Screen ON

In iDrive you also need to tick "Office" in the bluetooth options. Then you get 3 options under "Office" in the main iDrive menu (Contacts, Office Today and Messages) where you can filter messages.

The TXT messages will only transfer to your idrive when your iPhone goes to sleep and has a blank screen (Locked) hence the View in Locked Screen, without this setting and your iphone has turned itself to Locked will the message be transferred, if you open the iPhone to view the messages they won't transfer to the iDrive, iPhone must turn itself to lock so set your iPhone to lock after 1 Minute in settings.

Emails are the same but that has a bug at the moment. Hopefully this should be fixed by Apple soon as it was working in their beta IOS6.

I'm pretty sure you need cars fitted with the Combox interface, so that means only recent models.

Enjoy!!

If you could help, would be appreciate. Thanks!

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 520d f10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Thanks for this info! I don't see how to download the firmware once I input my VIN. I think this may be the root of my issue with sound quality on my iPhone 5 - people tell me it's horrible.

If you could help, would be appreciate. Thanks!
When you enter the seven last characters in your VIN, it will automaticly go to the next page. Perhaps your car already has the last one? Or perhaps try another browser? Or you can check your version nbr. in iDrive. The latest is MX-3.5.4, TX-3.5.5 (drop all zeros)

Last edited by Mobileum; 11-21-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobileum View Post
When you enter the seven last characters in your VIN, it will automaticly go to the next page. Perhaps your car already has the last one? Or perhaps try another browser? Or you can check your version nbr. in iDrive. The latest is MX-3.5.4, TX-3.5.5 (drop all zeros)
When I enter my VIN, it asks for my version number, then gives me a choice of carrier and phone and displays features available. Nothing about software or anything like that.

Perhaps because I do not have COMBOX..... I was trying to update firmware because ever since I got the iPhone 5, people have complained that the sound quality from the microphone is terrible.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-21-2012, 10:53 AM

You are using the wrong web site. Go here:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country=
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM

There's no update (yet) for cars with the latest iDrive. Our version numbers are different.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
There's no update (yet) for cars with the latest iDrive. Our version numbers are different.
Do you have an iPhone? We're you able to get this to work?

I was really looking forward to the dragondrive messaging. This is very disappointing. I had SMS on my 550i.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 11-21-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
You are using the wrong web site. Go here:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country=
Thanks. Says I am running the latest software. Hmmmm.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:50 AM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Thanks. Says I am running the latest software. Hmmmm.
I wonder if this is an issue with iPhone 5 or iOS6.01.

When I was running iOS 6.0 on my old 4S messaging was working fine even on the M5.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 11-22-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I wonder if this is an issue with iPhone 5 or iOS6.01.

When I was running iOS 6.0 on my old 4S messaging was working fine even on the M5.
Or both Apple and BMW

Isnīt fine an exaggeration?

- You had to change notification configuration each time you connected your phone to the car
- Only displayed messages that arrived when the phone was connected
- Unable to view saved messages

BMW announced an update in November/December. Let us see what will show up then.

Last edited by Mobileum; 11-22-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i
For iPhone 5 running on OS 6.01 we can only get SMS message not e-mails, until further update from BMW/Apple.
BMW CCA member. 2012 550i M Sports, Carbon Black/Cinnamon Brown leather/Aluminum Hexagon trim/ZLS. Dinan springs, Xpel paint protect film, Llumar tint. Retired: 2009 535i, 2006 530i, 2003 X5, 1998 318i
Old 11-22-2012, 02:28 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Or both Apple and BMW

Isnīt fine an exaggeration?

- You had to change notification configuration each time you connected your phone to the car
- Only displayed messages that arrived when the phone was connected
- Unable to view saved messages

BMW announced an update in November/December. Let us see what will show up then.
I did not have to toggle the notification settings each time I entered the car back in September.

And it has started working now and again I don't have to toggle anything.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 11-22-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
And it has started working now and again I don't have to toggle anything.
Now when you say "working" can you be more specific? All I can get on mine is Text Messages that are received while I'm in the car and the phone is connected will show up on the iDrive screen. I can't reply to them nor originate a new message from the iDrive.

I don't have to toggle anything to get above "functionality" - and I use the term "functionality" very loosely...

Mike
Old 11-22-2012, 04:06 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdernst View Post
Now when you say "working" can you be more specific? All I can get on mine is Text Messages that are received while I'm in the car and the phone is connected will show up on the iDrive screen. I can't reply to them nor originate a new message from the iDrive.

I don't have to toggle anything to get above "functionality" - and I use the term "functionality" very loosely...

Mike
I am recieving text messages and emails that are recieved while I am in the car. To be honest that is good enough for me. The car is not where I catch up on email. However if my girlfriend or my assistant text me while I am driving I need to read it, and in some cases reply or call back.

So for my purposes, the main functionality that isnt working which I would like to work is the Dragon Drive messaging.

2014 ///M5 Individual

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 11-22-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I am recieving text messages and emails that are recieved while I am in the car. To be honest that is good enough for me. The car is not where I catch up on email. However if my girlfriend or my assistant text me while I am driving I need to read it, and in some cases reply or call back.

So for my purposes, the main functionality that isnt working which I would like to work is the Dragon Drive messaging.
Do you have multiple email accounts set up on iPhone or just one?

Trying to figure out why some people seem to be getting emails show up and some, like me, not.

I'm also wondering if Dragon Drive Messaging might work if I turned iMessage OFF and just forced the phone to use SMS text messaging...

Mike
Old 11-22-2012, 06:14 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdernst View Post
Do you have multiple email accounts set up on iPhone or just one?

Trying to figure out why some people seem to be getting emails show up and some, like me, not.

I'm also wondering if Dragon Drive Messaging might work if I turned iMessage OFF and just forced the phone to use SMS text messaging...

Mike
I have multiple email accounts but I have only setup notifications on 2 of them.

I think this iMessage idea is interesting. I will try it.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 11-23-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu View Post

Notification Centre ON
Alert Style Alerts
Badge App Icon ON
Show Preview ON
View in Locked Screen ON

Enjoy!!
For the life of me I just cannot get my e-mails (only text) to come through, I have iPhone 5 OS 6.01 and I updated to the latest BMW firmware & turn on all the iphone notifications, can someone please help and so I don't pull anymore of my hair out.

Thanks.
BMW CCA member. 2012 550i M Sports, Carbon Black/Cinnamon Brown leather/Aluminum Hexagon trim/ZLS. Dinan springs, Xpel paint protect film, Llumar tint. Retired: 2009 535i, 2006 530i, 2003 X5, 1998 318i
Old 11-23-2012, 06:39 AM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcandmm View Post
For the life of me I just cannot get my e-mails (only text) to come through, I have iPhone 5 OS 6.01 and I updated to the latest BMW firmware & turn on all the iphone notifications, can someone please help and so I don't pull anymore of my hair out.

Thanks.
What I found was that after a couple of drives, a new option appeared on the iPhone. Under Bluetooth>BMWxxxxx>click on the little arrow to the right>notifications set to on. This then caused the messages to start working, although even then only messages that arrive while you are connected in the car, and not all unread messages.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
What I found was that after a couple of drives, a new option appeared on the iPhone. Under Bluetooth>BMWxxxxx>click on the little arrow to the right>notifications set to on. This then caused the messages to start working, although even then only messages that arrive while you are connected in the car, and not all unread messages.
I've research and done eveything, including updating software and turning on all the notification, but I am still not getting any e-mails for my iPhone 5 OS 6.01? Is there any other tricks (like walking away, turn on/off notification within certain time, dance around naked, etc.)

I'm desperate for anyone's help, thanks.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:41 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcandmm View Post
I've research and done eveything, including updating software and turning on all the notification, but I am still not getting any e-mails for my iPhone 5 OS 6.01? Is there any other tricks (like walking away, turn on/off notification within certain time, dance around naked, etc.)

I'm desperate for anyone's help, thanks.
I was in same situation as you a couple of days ago and it just started working.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 11-23-2012, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
This has actually been discussed many times. Apple does not want emails to be accessed, only SMS. However there is a bug in which email can be displayed under SMS not E-mails. Each time you start the car, let the phone pair with the car, then on the iphone go into Settings--Notifications--Mail--Show, then change the number of unread items to something else. If 5 Unread is checked, then change to 10 unread Items, or vice versa. This has to be done everytime you start the car up. As I said, its a bug in the system, and will probably not work in future iOS versions.