Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-02-2010, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530D
Question What is the best diagnosis tool for BMW

Hi all

New in this forum!...

What is the best diagnosis tool for BMW? I have seen diffrent tools that can reprogram like xenon and service km/miles and alot of more.

Say what tool do you like and why!...

Regards to all.
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Bavarian Technics scanner cable (BT scanner)

http://bavariantechnic.com/

I bought the 3-pack cable which allows readings for up to 3 vin's, as my wife drives an e39 525i...

JB4 Tuner; RPi Exhaust; Sport, Prem & CW Pkgs; Nav; HUD; L7; hardwired V1; M Trunk Lip; Chrome Rims; 17% Tint; Michelin PS PS2s
Old 09-03-2010, 09:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkNole View Post

I bought the 3-pack cable which allows readings for up to 3 vin's, as my wife drives an e39 525i...
Wow... that's awesome. I think I know what's on my Christmas list now...

Would this allow me to enable MP3 and CDC support in my 2004 E60 without taking the car to a dealer? I'm not averse to spending the money... just not much faith in the local dealerships!
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 09-04-2010, 01:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkNole View Post

Have look at there url, is only me that thinks it is expensive?...

Can this program change values in let say speedometer from miles to km?
and also change values from bixenon to xenon?...
Old 09-04-2010, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M Sport
The Enthusiast version of the BT scanner is a diagnostic tool which allows you to see vehicle information in real-time as well as view and clear diagnostic faults, including the hidden ones the triggered by tunes. Although it does have some additional capabilities (like the ability to register a new battery), it wasn't design for nor is it capable of changing values (coding). The much more expensive Professional version does support coding, but not for everything. You can find a list on their website of what's available coding-wise by year/model.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
Old 09-04-2010, 09:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer530 View Post
Have look at there url, is only me that thinks it is expensive?...

Can this program change values in let say speedometer from miles to km?
and also change values from bixenon to xenon?...
Depends on your point of view, I guess. Yes, it's a good chunk of change... but you have to figure how much is your local dealer going to charge you for pulling codes or changing coding? If you think that you'll use it enough that the cost of the dealer is a match or higher than the cost of the unit.. buy it.

It's all a matter of figuring out the value proposition. If your car's approaching 100K miles and you intend to keep it, you might want to consider a tool like this in order to best keep on top of the repairs.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 04 M3 08 535xi msport
how does this tool compare with the autoenginuity tool?
Old 09-12-2010, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530I, Sports Package
Hi, I hope everyone is doing well...

I wish I had seen the BT scanner before I spent $150+ on the Bavarian Autosport Engine Fault Code Reader/Reset tool-OBDII.

For those who actually own and used the Bavarian Technic Diagnostic Tool, can anyone answer the following questions:

1. Is the BT tool designed to register new car battery on 2006 530i with premium, sports package, active steering?

2. My battery died recently and I am getting the active steering malfunction warning light, can it clear the fault code?

3. Is it designed to do enough to maintain and repair the usual wears and tears that the BMW dealers charge so much for?

4. Can anyone confirm whether the Enthusiast Kits, option 1 is the correct choice for a 2006 BMW 530i with 16 pins?

5. Lastly, is anyone interested in buying my almost one month old Bavarian Autosports Engine Code Reader/Reset tool for $130? I have a receipt to show how new it is. :-) I also own the latest version of the Bentley Service Manual for 5 Series and can help providing info when I have time to check my messages, as an incentive.

Have a great day! :-)
Old 09-15-2010, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06530IDAN View Post
Hi, I hope everyone is doing well...

I wish I had seen the BT scanner before I spent $150+ on the Bavarian Autosport Engine Fault Code Reader/Reset tool-OBDII.

For those who actually own and used the Bavarian Technic Diagnostic Tool, can anyone answer the following questions:

1. Is the BT tool designed to register new car battery on 2006 530i with premium, sports package, active steering?

2. My battery died recently and I am getting the active steering malfunction warning light, can it clear the fault code?

3. Is it designed to do enough to maintain and repair the usual wears and tears that the BMW dealers charge so much for?

4. Can anyone confirm whether the Enthusiast Kits, option 1 is the correct choice for a 2006 BMW 530i with 16 pins?

5. Lastly, is anyone interested in buying my almost one month old Bavarian Autosports Engine Code Reader/Reset tool for $130? I have a receipt to show how new it is. :-) I also own the latest version of the Bentley Service Manual for 5 Series and can help providing info when I have time to check my messages, as an incentive.

Have a great day! :-)
2) You should drive the car around for a bit and the restart. The light should go off if it was due to the battery.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530I, Sports Package
Thank you for contacting Bavarian Technic. In answer to your questions:

1. Yes, the Enthusiast kit - option1 - is the correct kit for this car.
2. The tool does not support the battery registration in your car at this time, nor does it specifically check the charging system.
3. The tool cannot remedy the cause of issues in the car. It can get into the many various control units in the car to read out any fault codes that might be saved there. With the code and the brief description that the tool provides, you would typically need to perform that last bit of troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of the trouble and fix the cause of the fault codes. Upon fixing the problem, you can use the BT tool to clear the faults from the control unit. Doing so will cause the applicable warning lights on the instrument cluster to turn off.
4. It is capable of showing you the fault codes associated with fault conditions in the car and it will provide you the ability to reset the service in the car after appropriate maintenance.
5. The tool is designed to perform much of the same diagnostic capabilities as the BMW factory tool. It will read and clear fault codes, reset service reminders, capture live data values and activate components for troubleshooting. It does not do more than these.
6. The answer to this question depends a great deal on your needs and your expertise performing your own repairs on this car. The BT tool is owned and in use by hundreds of private owners and independent repair shops all over the world. The BT tool will provide you with more information than any standardized OBDII reader because those tools only provide emissions-related data. The BT tool will access virtually every control unit in your car to provide you with fault details and then some. You can read more about the coverage for your car on our website: www.bavariantechnic.com/modelfeaturematrix.aspx.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.
Best regards,
Owen Sutton
Bavarian Technic LLC
www.bavariantechnic.com
Old 09-17-2010, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Thank you for contacting Bavarian Technic. In answer to your questions:

1. Yes, the Enthusiast kit - option1 - is the correct kit for this car.
2. The tool does not support the battery registration in your car at this time, nor does it specifically check the charging system.
3. The tool cannot remedy the cause of issues in the car. It can get into the many various control units in the car to read out any fault codes that might be saved there. With the code and the brief description that the tool provides, you would typically need to perform that last bit of troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of the trouble and fix the cause of the fault codes. Upon fixing the problem, you can use the BT tool to clear the faults from the control unit. Doing so will cause the applicable warning lights on the instrument cluster to turn off.
4. It is capable of showing you the fault codes associated with fault conditions in the car and it will provide you the ability to reset the service in the car after appropriate maintenance.
5. The tool is designed to perform much of the same diagnostic capabilities as the BMW factory tool. It will read and clear fault codes, reset service reminders, capture live data values and activate components for troubleshooting. It does not do more than these.
6. The answer to this question depends a great deal on your needs and your expertise performing your own repairs on this car. The BT tool is owned and in use by hundreds of private owners and independent repair shops all over the world. The BT tool will provide you with more information than any standardized OBDII reader because those tools only provide emissions-related data. The BT tool will access virtually every control unit in your car to provide you with fault details and then some. You can read more about the coverage for your car on our website: www.bavariantechnic.com/modelfeaturematrix.aspx.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.
Best regards,
Owen Sutton
Bavarian Technic LLC
www.bavariantechnic.com
Owen, my car vary from 2002 to 2011 is there a single BT tool that works for all of those BMW? Thanks.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35x
Well, I just purchased the Professional kit - option 2 kit today. http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx. Will report back at a later time.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball View Post
Well, I just purchased the Professional kit - option 2 kit today. http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx. Will report back at a later time.
I just received this today and it's TOTALLY AWESOME. I was able to reset my Adaptive Lights right off the bat. It took a whole five seconds to do. The dealer wanted to charge me $135.00 to do the same thing. I highly recommend buying this tool!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball View Post
I just received this today and it's TOTALLY AWESOME. I was able to reset my Adaptive Lights right off the bat. It took a whole five seconds to do. The dealer wanted to charge me $135.00 to do the same thing. I highly recommend buying this tool!!!
That's awesome. Do you know how much coding it can do? Looking at the specs it seems that kit can do some coding of the audio system and a few other items. I'm seriously considering that same tool if it can do some of the basic stuff.

Even having said that, I'm considering it because resetting stuff seems to be a pain that could get expensive. No problems yet on my 545i, but I'm anticipating them. I'm a realist

Old 07-09-2012, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330i
I looking to purchase a diagnostic computer. There are two option on the table Carsoft or Bavarian Technic. Which one should I go with. I want to do anything the dealer can, basically.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil137 View Post
I looking to purchase a diagnostic computer. There are two option on the table Carsoft or Bavarian Technic. Which one should I go with. I want to do anything the dealer can, basically.
Sorry but either of those won't do what dealer can do, and I have BT and pretty happy with it (wish it's more smetimes).

You need to see from BT website on what they support for your car, for E60 and E90 BT is superb and OK for other models.

Dealer used GT1 now Autologic; IMHO you can't find GT1 ready to go but some claim to selling them on the web (but mostly the seller are in China so not sure how legit) else you can buy softwareless GT1 around $1000 then build VM on your PC to run the OS etc etc etc (very hands on and you can google it if you are interested, there are forums dedicated for it), I lost interest cause if kinda defeat the purpose for ME to spend that much time on tools.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:26 AM

Well for now I need a software to sync my odometer in a instrument cluster to my cars actual mileage and later on activate an alarm system. What would you recommend.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
You can goto http://www.bmwcoding.com/ and find everithing you need to program your car.
You can buy cable online for about $85 dollars.
Download softwares and do your job.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil137 View Post
Well for now I need a software to sync my odometer in a instrument cluster to my cars actual mileage and later on activate an alarm system. What would you recommend.
I doubt even dealer would do it, (maybe I don't understand your needs/intend) but no one would tamper with mileage on odometer cause it always agains the law. Dealer would only program the same mileage on old cluster to new cluster, for example. But not roll down or up the mileage on it. yes for this kinda jobs you'll need GT1 or Autologic none other tools on the market would do it.

The same with alarm system, the H/W or chip is installed but not activated; it's activated through programming.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 AM

I am getting a new cluster and I want the mileage of my car to be reflected on the new cluster. Thats one of my objectives.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 745li
newbie need help please

Hi I am new and i am interested in being able to program modules as well as diagnose my two cars which are 05 bmw 745li and 04 bmw 530i can some please verify what cable i would need and where to buy also what sofware i would need and where to downloac working copies. thanks very much
Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i
Quote:

Best regards,
Owen Sutton
Bavarian Technic LLC
www.bavariantechnic.com
I know this thread has some age on it but I have a specific question about this post, please forgive me for resurrecting old threads.

Owen - The answer you gave above concerns me a bit. I am planning on buying the Pro Kit (option 3) and "registering the battery" was one of several of my main desires to not have to pay the dealer for. Is this still the case with our cars (Pre LCi E60), this tool won't do that?

Another question has to do with the Airbag. Will this tool be able to check and clear Airbag trouble codes and lights?

Last question. There is a video on the BavTech site on CBS http://www.bavariantechnic.com/BT_CBS.aspx I wanted to know if I would be able to do this with the Pro Tool on my car?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:10 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skim Milk View Post
I know this thread has some age on it but I have a specific question about this post, please forgive me for resurrecting old threads.

Owen - The answer you gave above concerns me a bit. I am planning on buying the Pro Kit (option 3) and "registering the battery" was one of several of my main desires to not have to pay the dealer for. Is this still the case with our cars (Pre LCi E60), this tool won't do that?

Another question has to do with the Airbag. Will this tool be able to check and clear Airbag trouble codes and lights?

Last question. There is a video on the BavTech site on CBS http://www.bavariantechnic.com/BT_CBS.aspx I wanted to know if I would be able to do this with the Pro Tool on my car?

Thanks in advance for your help!
I've had the pro kit for over a year now, and realized you have to really call and ask them a few times (kinda after you make the purchase) weird I know. I researched like crazy, and there's still questions. On my X I had an issue, and when I called they sent a file immediately and had me download it. So their customer service is still there.

It works well on my 06 530i with the N52 with exception of battery registration. It doesn't support battery registration on the 06-08 E60 with N52 see this. If you have 04-05 E60 it will definitely access your airbag modules, read and clear faults there. I can tell you first hand that it will NOT adjust my value on the oil for CBS (the video you provided at the end). I think it will be able to adjust your value if you have the 04-05 with M54. It can definitely reset the CBS which works VERY well.

It's also funny that it says "New battery registration on 523, 525, 528, 535, 545, 550 - except Diesels" on the 04-05 E60 side... notice it's missing the 530i even though one would think it should be there.

The best bet is to call them and verify because I've had it hooked up to quite a few cars, especially a couple E90's and believe it or not there was one 2008 E90 it just WOULD NOT connect to, I was VERY dumbfounded. Maybe he had a locked ECU or something, we couldn't figure out what was up. 04-05 E60 545i worked fine, 99 740il worked fine, 02 X5 fine, 06 E90, 07 E92 fine, 06 750Li worked fine.
That one 08 E90 has been my only issue (that stumped me) so far.

Overall it works really well, I think for me it paid for itself. I reset my airbag/seatbelt light after tracking what the problem was related to via these forums.
I reset all my CBS items (after performing them of course). It clears engine lights, and it dives the full code with a description.
It's worth it to me (because I've hooked it up to friends cars) and even though I have not made any money from them...
it works well enough to do so.
I ended up getting mine from Burger Tuning (I actually wanted a refurbished one for a little cheaper from BavTech, but they had none at all).
Good Luck.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 AM

small clarifications, confirmed by Owen at BT.
their tools will reset battery date for the same chemistry type (some refer this as registration to me it's really a reset).
BT won't support switching from ole lead-acid flooded battery to AGM, again it's confirmed by Owen when I contacted them almost a year ago.

The other gripe I have is BT won't program N54 fuel injector calibration numbers to ECU, I can save money doing this myself eventually.

I heard INPA supports all of those programming feature, BT needs to up the ante on this soon.
Also I believe BT needs to get going on N55 engine support, next year my 335i will be out of waranty so I am going to need it.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:13 AM
BMW Master Wannabe

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer530 View Post
Hi all

New in this forum!...

What is the best diagnosis tool for BMW? I have seen diffrent tools that can reprogram like xenon and service km/miles and alot of more.

Say what tool do you like and why!...

Regards to all.
Check out this link. They sell a cable and packaged the BMW diagnostics software in one easy to use package. Also works on Windows 7 32bit and 64bit. Price for all of it is less than $100. This is the stuff the dealers used to use for the older cars. This should get you up and running with coding and resetting values. They also point you to the website where there are many support threads with step by step instructions.

http://bmtechnic.co.uk/bmw-diagnosti...black-edition/

Last edited by racooper3; 05-18-2013 at 02:16 AM.