Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
LEAKS!!! 04 525i / 77k miles

Hey guys so I just got my oil change done today at the dealership and i am told that i have 3 leaks! oil filter is leaking ($750) / transmission sleeve is leaking ($850) / oil pan gasket is starting to leak ($1400). estimated cost is $3000. I asked what was the most important thing to fix first and its the transmission. I'm going to get it fixed but any recommendations? i live in the Bay Area. Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
If you have the skill set then you can repair these things yourself.

Here's a DIY on the transmission fluid change procedure. It includes instructions on changing out the Mechtronics sleeve.

http://forums.5series.net/topic/8812...-drain-refill/

The transmission supplies can be ordered from here: http://www.thectsc.com/

The oil filter housing gaskets are leaking. The parts are about $30. The DIY procedure is here: Oil filter housing gaskets

Take a look at the oil pan gasket and see how bad it is leaking. If it isn't much, and you aren't adding a ton of oil to the car then I'd leave it be. I have a small leak as well, but I haven't taken the time to fix it. I am fairly certain that the subframe has to be lowered and/or the engine raised in order to drop the oil pan.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 535Xi before a 330Xi
Question

I just got the same $800 quote for the tranny leak!!

Ddi you end up doing it?

How much does it leak?

I have no drops in my driveway.

What happens when the fluid gets low, does an idiot light go on? or does the trannsmission blow up!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:22 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
You need to get transmission sealed up first. There's no easy way to check how much fluid you have, it was designed to be a sealed system.

I don't think there's an idiot light. If there is I bet it doesn't kick in until you're really low.. Not worth the risk. The engine leaks are probably not a big deal. It's easy enough to keep an eye on engine oil level and add as needed
Old 11-22-2012, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i
What trans is in the 525i? I'm currently about to do a flush and was looking for a kit like the one in the link posted but I don't know which one to buy.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:49 PM
DIY'er

Should be 6HP19

Email the help at thectsc.com and they can confirm though if you want to be 100% sure
Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
The transmission for 800$ would include a filter-pan and fluid change service.Proper fluid change on these takes a few hours.So 800$ is about right,not too high.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:52 AM

What does it cost to do a transmission oil change in a chevy or ford??

I thought it was around $200.00

BMW gasket a few bucks more, but why is 4 times the price??

Or am I missiing something??
Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM
DIY'er

Can't change the oil pan gasket by itself as far as I know, and I'm sure you can't change just the filter, as the filter is built into the oil pan.

Also, it's the mechatronic seal leaking.. I don't think you've replaced one of those on a GM or ford recently

$800 isn't too crazy--you'll be in about $250 just for the new pan & oil, then some more for new pan bolts (recommended anyways) and the mechatronics sleeve, and it will take about 2-3 hours to change if you have all the tools. The mechatronics sleeve, at least on the 6HP26's is a ROYAL pain to get to. You have to remove part of the mount at the rear of the transmission to get enough room to squeeze it out

So, I guess $800 isn't a great deal, but it's not a bad price either for the work involved. Plenty of shops have charged a LOT more for the same job. Actually a dealership quoted the previous owner of my car $1500 just to change the mechatronics sleeve a few months back.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
Can't change the oil pan gasket by itself as far as I know, and I'm sure you can't change just the filter, as the filter is built into the oil pan.

Also, it's the mechatronic seal leaking.. I don't think you've replaced one of those on a GM or ford recently

$800 isn't too crazy--you'll be in about $250 just for the new pan & oil, then some more for new pan bolts (recommended anyways) and the mechatronics sleeve, and it will take about 2-3 hours to change if you have all the tools. The mechatronics sleeve, at least on the 6HP26's is a ROYAL pain to get to. You have to remove part of the mount at the rear of the transmission to get enough room to squeeze it out

So, I guess $800 isn't a great deal, but it's not a bad price either for the work involved. Plenty of shops have charged a LOT more for the same job. Actually a dealership quoted the previous owner of my car $1500 just to change the mechatronics sleeve a few months back.
WOW!! THanks for the detailed description, I don't feel as ripped off right now. Why does the mechatronic seal leak? I see many people have the same issue, car is only 4 years old with 45,000 miles. How bad does it leak? (usually) how long can I delay fixing it? How long does the new one last? Is there a better one that last longer?

P.S. I also had to do my thurst rod bushings, they were "torn", and that was another $600 (had to that, was in for an alignment, the rear tires were trashed, inside edge of both rears was worn done of a 45 deg angle to the wires! and the rest of the tread was nice a flat, really strange!) And never felt anything loose, or any clunks or anything to indicate there was an issue.