Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
128i vent valve leaking... How serious is this? DIY?

Sorry guys, I did search, didn't find much...

Was about to buy a 128i but it has a leaking vent valve. Dealer fixed other issues with the car but only reset the SES light on this one because they said it wasn't a critical issue.

Is this just an emissions problem that isn't that big a deal? Is it something I can fix? I'm no super mechanic, but I'm coming from an e46 where most problems could be fixed relatively easily.

Thanks for any help... Was going to get the car tonight, now not sure.
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2012, 08:39 PM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
Tank ventilation valve? not as easy to replace like e46
Old 12-04-2012, 06:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
The dealer probably just reset the light because this code normally comes when you don't tighten the gas cap properly. My SUV is a Suzuki and it threw the evap code when new. The dealer wanted to demonstrate how to tighten the gas cap to us. My late wife got tired of it and told me to take it in myself. I talked them into running a smoke test. They discovered the pump that was to pull vacumn to check the system was bad. It was replaced and no more codes.

I would get the dealer to state in writing that they will fix this if it happens again or ask them for a smoke test now. All they have to do is put the car on the lift and get their smoke pen.

Jim
Old 12-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post
The dealer probably just reset the light because this code normally comes when you don't tighten the gas cap properly. My SUV is a Suzuki and it threw the evap code when new. The dealer wanted to demonstrate how to tighten the gas cap to us. My late wife got tired of it and told me to take it in myself. I talked them into running a smoke test. They discovered the pump that was to pull vacumn to check the system was bad. It was replaced and no more codes.

I would get the dealer to state in writing that they will fix this if it happens again or ask them for a smoke test now. All they have to do is put the car on the lift and get their smoke pen.

Jim
good info to know here
Old 01-05-2013, 07:31 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 10' 328i Cp;12' X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post

Jim
I had this happen on a brand new 2011 Honda Accord V6. Threw the code after 1 hour of driving the car off the lot. Took the car in next day and dealer had to replace the entire gas tank system. Cause rats had chew the electrics.

2010 328i M Sport Package, BMW Performance Exhaust & Short Shift Kit.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLab View Post
Sorry guys, I did search, didn't find much...

Was about to buy a 128i but it has a leaking vent valve. Dealer fixed other issues with the car but only reset the SES light on this one because they said it wasn't a critical issue.

Is this just an emissions problem that isn't that big a deal? Is it something I can fix? I'm no super mechanic, but I'm coming from an e46 where most problems could be fixed relatively easily.

Thanks for any help... Was going to get the car tonight, now not sure.
Do you know the specific error code that was triggering the SES? I recently had one relating to the evap system and the problem was solved with a software up date by the dealer.